5.2

2001 Dodge Durango AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Durango:

2001 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Jan 012009

Durango 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Durango, the contact stated that upon starting the vehicle and activating the air conditioner, only hot air would blow from the vents. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop and the contact was informed that the evaporator failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was unknown. Overheats when it is over 85 degrees and coolant evaporator keeps going out. Updated 10/26/2011

- Middletown, OH, USA

May 102011

Durango

A/C control panel burned out...smoke came through dash directly behind ac control unit. Smell of burning wires..I pulled to the side of road and turned off vehicle.. pulled panel away from A/C control and unplugged the ac control unit..took to dealer had to replace ac control panel and fuse was blown in fuse box.

- Aledo, TX, USA

Jun 012003

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Failure on Dodge Durango 2001 air conditioning. I have talked to 4 other people who own a Dodge Durango older models and I noticed that all of our problems are the same; the air conditioning is not working properly. I myself brought my 2001 Dodge Durango to the dealer many times more then 10 times. Every time is the same story nothing is wrong with the air.the air conditioning doesn't work when the car is not in motion or if it is I have to go faster than 50 miles per hour just to get a nice breeze.

- Glendale , CA, USA

Sep 012000

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have been with this vehicle in the shop every time you turn around. Currently we were driving down the road and smoke came from the vents. It was a fire which they are still trying to find where the short is. Also the convertor for the air conditioner is bad and had to be replaced. Because of the short the battery was replaced two times because of the burning it up, the spring broke when I hit a bump and my daughters neck was wrenched. Every other day the vehicle won't start, the locks won't work after having them redone by clio Chrysler, the windows won't go up and down, the car has a bad steering rack which we reported to you quite some time ago (2 different dealerships evaluated and reported this), the ball joints were bad, the car creaks currently underneath as though it is going to fall in to pieces. The alternator had to be replaced, the sensors all were going bad at different times, so every other day the car won't run. The one cost us a mint in gasoline because the car would just drink the gas and shoot out black smoke. This is a 2000 vehicle from problems dating from day one of purchase. The vehicle.

- Clio, MI, USA

Jun 092004

Durango

A/C failed - evaporator box needs to be replaced - labor costs are astronomical!! I have been told that this is a very common problem in this model as well as the Dodge intrepid.

- Winchester, MA, USA

Apr 012004

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Consumer experienced the engine light illuminating, shaking when braking at high speeds, steering noises and shifter popping in place. Also, consumer experienced noise in the rear end and transmission not shifting properly. Dealer said the check engine light illuminated for no reason at all and was reset. Consumer went to a different dealer and put a new computer because it's a small sensor in the emission control. Engine light came on again and consumer brought vehicle to a dealer and said that it was safe to drive. Consumer went to a different dealer because she wasn't comfortable with the opinion from the previous dealer. Consumer was told by the dealer that it was the torque converter and it will take a week and a half to repair vehicle. In addition, consumer is experiencing problems with air conditioner.

- Shelton, WA, USA

Nov 202003

Durango 4WD

The vehicle on this occasion started knocking and the check gauges light appeared. It stated I needed oil when I recently had an oil change. It then cut off. I took the vehicle to the dealer to find out that I needed a new engine supposedly due to sludge build up. I have had all oil changes and services performed. I even went as far as to have the 30,000 mile service done. Previous problems include replacement of an air bag, rear window problems, air conditioner not working, noises while in reverse when parking, all in all also getting stuck in 4-hi. All in all they told me they would not replace my engine even with my Chrysler warranty. The vehicle only has 42,000 miles. Also had new ignition switch installed due to speedometer failure.

- Phila., PA, USA

Nov 082002

Durango

The air condition blow out hot air not cold air causing problem. Dealership is aware of problem.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Jun 242002

Durango

No summary listed for above vehicle.

- Allen, TX, USA

Jul 302001

Durango 4WD

A/C failed three times w/I first 90 days of ownership. Dealer states they have replaced all parts, but failure returns. They have other vehicles presenting with same problem. Dealer states this is manufacturing problem.

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA