2002 Dodge Durango brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Durango:

2002 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Aug 172011

Durango

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Durango. While driving at any speed, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle vibrated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was difficult to stop. The failure recurred. The contact stated that the front brake rotors and brakes were replaced; however, the failure recurred. It was unknown where the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jun 292015

Durango

Had to put in the shop for the brake lines were rusted through and the exhaust is the same way to the manifold

- Jennings, LA, USA

May 062015

Durango

During breaking, steering, and turning, I hear a "clacking" sound and there is a feeling of something sticking. When the SUV is parked on my drive way, I release the hand break and I can hear a strong "clack" sound. I had times where the breaking system was difficult to press. I took the SUV to pep boys and their evaluation shows that it needs upper and lower ball joints, front brakes, and shock and struts. Steering: Terrible and extremely difficult to turn (super hard to steer). Some parts where changed by pep boys in an "urgent" situation. The steering "bearings" ?(a part that goes from the steering wheel down to the motor) was changed. (I have a copy of the work done).

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Mar 252015

Durango

The braking system has always had a problem "skipping" even after multiple repairs - replacing brakes, rotors, brake booster, master cylinder, hubs and wheel bearings. If I have to come to a "short stop" the truck skips like it tries to stop, lets go, then tries to stop again. It happens about 3-4 times before it actually comes to a complete stop! I think it is related to the Durango's. I had another model years ago (1999) and the same thing happened. I didn't realize until having the same trouble with the 2002 model it was probably related to the model of the vehicle or maybe Dodge in general. I was actually in 2 very minor accidents due to this. Once in each vehicle. After the last round of repairs all seemed great, but it just never lasts!

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Aug 012004

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

While making urgent stop with heavy brake pedal application, brakes suddenly let loose for a moment and then resume braking action. Upon first incident, dealer replaced various ABS components. Not solved. More checks, not solved. Eventually, front and rear brake pads were changed, even though they were not worn out. This solved the problem for another 30,000 or so miles. With slight wear on the brake pads, problem occurred again. Paid for new brake pads even though they were not recommended. This again solved the problem.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 102014

Durango

The vehicle started to swerve into the other lane on the highway, and as I attempted to regain control with both hands firmly on the wheel, and gentle steering, I found I still had no absolutely no control with the steering, it was completely loose it was disconnected. At that same time, I went for my brakes, only to find they all of a sudden were not functioning either. The vehicle eventually swerved into the fence of to the side of the freeway, then the vehicle to flip two times.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Sep 182013

Durango 8-cyl

I was parked in driveway as I was exiting to go into street the brakes felt very soft. As I shifted into drive the brake pedal went all the way down with minimal braking. I pulled to the side and stopped the engine. I noticed a pool of fluid which turned out to be brake fluid from a brake line. Today nine months later the same thing happened on the other side. This vehicle was purchased new in October,2003.

- Staten Island, NY, USA