1.2

2002 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Durango:

2002 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Jan 252016

Durango

A valve seat in my cylinder head came off during normal engine operation causing total engine destruction. The valve seat (made of steel) dislodged itself and destroyed the aluminum head and the piston in that cylinder. This is a factory default common in these engines. I was driving down a busy road when the valve locked up, lost compression, causing my brakes to go out and my engine to stall. I had to pull off the road to avoid the car stopping in front of me.. this is a documented failure on 1999-2002 Chrysler- Jeep 4.7L engines.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Durango

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact replaced the crankshaft position sensor, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 187,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Durango

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart after numerous attempts. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 187,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Durango

Was driving down wayne road when suddenly my car started slowing down everything seem to be working except the gas paddle. I had my feet on gas but it was not responding I quickly pulled to the right as it was hard to turn steering wheel. It was cars behind me and it was scary knowing someone could hit me. I called my husband and he came thought he could just give me a jump but he said its nothing wrong with battery. It looks like im not getting any gas. It wont turn over so he pushed me in the mall. Until I get off from work. I was blessed that it happen to do that on the day he was off because I just started a new job and I didn't need to miss a day as soon as I start working. I also read many similar complaints on this is. This should be taken care of and fast. I thank the lord for watching over me in trial moments.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

May 162012

Durango

The contact owns a 2002 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that when driving, the key would release from the ignition while in any gear. The contact also stated that the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the diagnostic was unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Buna, TX, USA