2003 Dodge Durango miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Durango:

2003 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Jul 272015

The problem originally started about 2 weeks ago. When I switched on the rear fan (heat or ac did not matter), the entire center console (radio, blower switches, and electronic 4WD switch) would go completely dead, and the "service 4WD" light would come on. Then this started happening when I turned on the front blower or the rear blower. Then it started happening with both blowers off and the headlights on high. Now it does it spontaneously for no apparent reason with all extra electrical components (the headlights, radio, and blowers) all off. I'm thinking there is a short somewhere, but cannot identify it. So far, I have replaced the blower motor resistor, the tccm, and the ignition switch with no apparent improvement. I've also had the dash apart and checked every electrical wire I could get to for obvious shorts. No luck. The problem is getting progressively worse. I talked to the mechanic at the local Dodge dealer, and he said he thinks it's the tipm (main fuse box) in the engine compartment. He said he sees them short out "all the time, some of them so bad they actually catch fire!" (direct quote from him.) I am now terrified to drive my Durango, but I cannot afford the hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars it's going to cost to fix the tipm, if that's what it really is. But I do not want drive it with the possibility of a vehicle fire. I've done all kinds of internet research on this, and it seems like a really common problem in the Durangos. Also, my friend who works at a salvage yard says these fuse boxes are one of their most sought after parts. Surely an electrical problem that is this common and of such a catastrophic magnitude should be a recall!

- Ozone, AR, USA

Dec 122009

I have a 03 Dodge Durango with about 98,000 miles. I was taking my child to school and the oil pressure dropped to zero. I had it pulled to a shop. They have pulled the motor, checked it and the oil pump and pick-up tube. Everything looks good. They do not know what is wrong. I have been doing some research and everyone I have spoke to, say this has been a major issue with this motor.there is a lot of complaints on the internet with people in the same situation. We pay a lot of money for these vehicles and I don't know why something cant be done or why they cannot find something wrong. It is hard to continue to make your payments, not being able to drive the vehicle and then being told they don't know what it is but a new motor will be about $5000-$6000. I don't understand and don't know what to do!

- Theodore, AL, USA