CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

8.3

$1,667.00

1. warranty not honored and have to repair ourselves (4 reports)
2004 Dodge Durango body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Jan 142010

Durango SLT 4.7L

click to see larger images

rusting rusting rusting rusting rusting

THE VERY 1ST TIME I NOTICED THE PAINT BUBBLING MY 2004 DURANGO HOOD, I HAD 32,000 MILE ON IT AND IT WAS STILL UNDER THE WARRANTY. IT WASN'T REAL BAD BUT YOU CAN SOMETHING BAD WAS STARTING. THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM. THEN THE REAL PROBLEM STARTED AT 49,000 MILES OVER THE FUEL FILL ON THE RIGHT REAR QUARTER PANEL STARTED BUBBLING REALLY BAD AND THEN TURNED TO CANCER AND ITS CONTINUING TO SPREAD TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DRIVER DOOR. THEY REFUSED TO FIX IT SAYING I WAS THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAD THIS PROBLEM UNTIL I FOUND THIS SITE ONLINE WHERE I FOUND MANY PEOPLE WITH THE VERY SAME ISSUES. WE ALL PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THESE SUVS TO HAVE ENDED UP WITH RUST BUCKETS. WE SHOULD ALL GET TOGETHER AND FILE A CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE.

- , Waterford Works, NJ, USA

May 012011

Durango SLT 5.7L V8

Drivers side rear quarter panel paint started bubbling and then became a big hole. I had it fixed and they put some new sheet metal over the hole and repainted. Unfortunately, only a few months later the part that didn't get sheet metal is rusting and bubbling again. I have seen many Durangos with the same problem and it is definitely a manufacturer defect.

- , Harleysville, PA, USA

Dec 012009

Durango Limited 5.7L V8

The paint started bubbling initially on left rear quarter panel under gas tank as others have listed also.....now chipping off in pieces. Back gate is rusted all the way through under license plate. Also under driver door, big pieces coming off and now bubbling on front and right front quarter panel. Cant afford to repair all this:(

- , Jensen Beach, FL, USA

Nov 012009

Durango LX 5.8L

In March 2009, I purchased a used 2004 Dodge Durango from Steve Winkler Chevrolet in Paris, IL. Within 5 months, the left back panel paint started bubbling . By December 2009, the entire back panel up to the gas tank cap was bubbled and starting to rust.

I took the car to a body shop and they informed me this was definitely a manufacturing defect - under the panel was not sealed allowing moisture to accumulate between the panel and frame. There was still some warranty on it for the body so I returned it to the dealer to see what could be done. They first told me it was because the car was not garaged during the winter (load of bull since it sat on their lot from Dec 2008 until I purchased it). They then told me that it would not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

Per the body shop, the entire panel has to be replaced for a cost of $1800 (Dodge hasn't released the car to allow "generic" parts to be manufactured so replacement parts have to be purchased from Dodge.) Not only that, the car had chrome side mirrors which also bubbled and peeled off (I'll be issuing another complaint on that!).

I'll never buy another Dodge nor purchase another car from the above dealer again.

- , Paris, IL, USA

Nov 012009

Durango SRS V8

Seriously this is the biggest gas guzzling POS. Instrament panel problems, something with the transmission/engine when it rains it stalls out. All recalled problems fixed for now. now the lift gate is rusted all the way through next to the plate , does anyone know if this is covered by Dodge, all body shop estimators are shocked at the rust considering it is only 5 1/2 years old. DO NOT BUY DODGE

- , Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

Aug 032007

Durango SLT 5.7L Hemi

Truck was 3 years old and only 38,000 miles when the drivers side rear quarter panel paint was bubbling up in 3 places and the entire rear deck had "rainbow effect" with the entire surface showing paint giving away to rust. When taken to the dealership the assistant manager stated it appeared to be a clear warranty claim. He took pictures for the Dodge rep and then had me drop off the truck the following week for the Dodge reps. visit. The rep never showed up. I was asked to leave the truck a second time and the Dodge rep did not show again. I then called Dodge customer service which was in India and had to report it to 2 different people who then kept telling me they would connect me with Detroit in which I was disconnected on two different occasions. I sent e-mails and finally received a response that my claim hand been denied even though the rep had never shown up and looked at my truck. I finally, on my own, found a number in Detroit and eventually got to a "Senior Customer Rep". After detailing all the problems and then explaining that this was my 8th Dodge purchase in 13 year time span and thought honoring the warranty for a long time loyal customer would go a long way to keeping a customer I was told that the ruling would stand, even after they acknowledged the Dodge rep never saw the vehicle. I then re-iterated that I had 4 Dodge vehicles in my driveway with replacement value of $150,000 and asked if I should look at replacing them with a different manufacturer and was told that if I felt that was what I felt was best and that I was not the only customer that the warranty would not be honored for.

This is the last Dodge I will every buy. Proof of why Dodge/Chrysler has lost so much market share.

- , Rockford, IL, USA

Dec 022007

Durango SLT 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

rusting rusting rusting rusting rusting

I bought a 2004 Dodge Durango SLT with 29339 miles on it. It rained the hole week when i got it so it was dirty. When i got it washed and looked it over carefully i noticed rust spots all over. Both front doors have rust and some on the lower body. The front hood has some rust in the inside and the rear hatch has rust in the inside and outside. The two rear doors have a few little spot from rocks hitting the door. I went to the dealer to see the body shop and they are currently waiting for chrysler to see if they will pay for the rust problem.

- , Livonia, Michigan, USA