Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Nov 052015

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. In addition, the brakes failed when depressed. The gear shift had to be shifted into neutral to regain control. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,085.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 042006

I was driving my wife to work that morning, it was a bright clear day. I was parked half out of garage. As my wife came out of the laundry room I touched the gas to pull forward. However this did not happen, SUV revved all the way up and would not rev down. I tried to apply brakes but they did not work. I came within a foot of killing my wife. To make this so bad I complained about this before so has my wife. My SUV literally went through 3 walls and several rooms. I have 3 disk fused in my neck and several of the screws are broke. I can live being a cripple but I cant live with out my wife. Chrysler had independent inspector take a look at it. I told him it was at Eagle paint and body, and did he need me to stop all repairs. He told me know he could get his data from computer. The Chrysler legal team sent ne a nasty letter stating that I hade moved the vehicle and they were no longer responsible. I even tried to call Chrysler back to tell them the SUV did the same thing, but they informed me legal took over the case and they needed no other data from me. Just one thing when this happens again and kills myself, my family or a bus of kids. Who will be going to jail for the rest of there life.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Mar 162015

When it rains water would pour into engine and effect electrical sysytem and cause engine problems engine lock up, engine would automatically cut off and power steering would lock up while making a turn in my 2005 hemi Durango, the engine shut off in the middle of the road.

- Nashville , TN, USA

Jun 072014

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled during inclement weather. The vehicle was able to restart after numerous attempts. The contact also stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle was driving unstable and there was a loud abnormal noise. In addition, the steering wheel seized and the brake pedal failed to respond. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle and spun around causing it to roll over. The contact crashed into an embankment. The contact was unconscious upon hitting her head on the driver's side window. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the head, the chest that required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,890.

- Hallszille, TX, USA

Jul 072009

I have had the cam position sensor fail approx. 5 times. When the sensor fails or starts to fail the check engine light will come on intermittently and occasionally while the light is on the engine will shut off when the engine shuts off the brakes will not work. The said situation when the brakes will not work has occurred 7 times. At times the check engine light will light up and be not lit when the truck is restarted. On one occasion my wife was driving the truck, the light came on for the cam sensor, the engine shut off, the brakes would not work and she rolled through an intersection unable to stop the vehicle.

- Spanish Fork, UT, USA

Sep 182012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Wife was driving on highway and car completely shut down, engine, all power. No power steering, no power brakes, nothing. Happened multiple times. Last time, shut down on highway doing 60mph with multiple children in car.

- Everett, MA, USA