Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Dec 012014

Durango Limited 5.7L

Car goes into 4wh drive lock without requesting for it to do so. Causes steering to become very heavy and pulls down on the motor causing unstable idle. Car has quit in turn after deciding to switch to 4 whl drive lock on its own... if my wife was driving she would not be able to control the car and would run into other cars waiting at the light. This is a really really bad thing. Took into dodge dealer and they told me it is a problem with the transfer case motor and sensor ...all sort of same issue showing on the internet ... this is a defect and should be replaced under a recall. This will kill some one eventually if it hasn't already done so. Dodge is ignoring this problem. This problem goes away every two weeks or so then surprises me when I least expect it...UGGH

- , 43209, OH, USA

Feb 132015

Durango Limited Slt 5.7L V8

My 2004 DODGE DURANGO LIMITED is taking up space in my garage, until the 4x4 shifting on its own while driving or just while I am watching tv is resolved. I thought about selling it but I do not want to be responsible for killing a family. Obviously DODGE DOES NOT SEEM TO GIVE A RATS ASS.... I can not believe that the employees of DODGE FROM THE CEO TO THE GUY OR GAL WHO PUTS THE TIRE CAPS ON CAN EVEN SLEEP AT NIGHT. Ohh it must be because their beds are stuffed with all our money that we have dumped into their unsafe and unreliable vehicles. Just tell people what the fix is to their DODGE problems and a lot of people like me will get them fixed and probably go on our merry way! Is this too much to ask DODGE?

- , Thornton, CO, USA

Oct 142014

Durango Limited Slt 5.7L V8

My whole family was driving to dinner when BAM the 4x4 on this Dodge Durango kicked in and sent us over a curb. The Dodge Durango would not move after we stopped unless we pushed down on the gas until the front wheels squealed and jerked us off the curb and through the parking lot. I shut down the DODGE DURANGO -hint hint- checked out what I could. I saw nothing unusual. I got back in, started it up, went into reverse then forward all wheel drive was working as normal. Now this issue happens every day. Can't wait till I drive through a gas station or something. Not really I disconnected the transfer case wiring so that when I try to make a turn it can't attempt to kill me or my family.

Dodge should at least put out a letter for fix before DODGE is responsible for a family or two getting hurt or killed! This problem is all over the web for multiple year DURANGOS. Won't be long. I have already checked out transfer case, wiring, TCM or BCM switch on the dash. Come on DODGE admit you're faults and make this right. At the very least tell me and probably thousands of other what the REAL fix is. Thanks DODGE for your help and your COMMITMENT TO SAFETY as worded on YOU'RE website. GOOO DODGE!!

Update from Jun 6, 2015: OK it has been months since i posted this complaint. I have been to AUTHORIZED DODGE DEALERSHIPS to try and figure this issue out and THEIR OWN TECHS CAN NOT EVEN ADMIT THERE IS A PROBLEM LET ALONE TRY AND FIGURE IT OUT. I have taken this 2004 DODGE DURANGO LIMITED to other shops also and they give me the same excuse as the DODGE DEALERSHIP-----WE CAN NOT SEEM TO REPLICATE THE PROBLEM. Then as soon i pull into my driveway it happens again. At least the independent shops have not charged me for checking my 2004 DODGE DURANGO LIMITED OUT. There are many complaints on the net about this issue and sooner or later its going to bite DODGE right in their .........

- , Thornton, CO, USA

Apr 132012

Durango LS 5.7L

Just want to know what to do to fix it. I pulled in the parking lot at work this morning and it showed 4 lock on the dash and the dial was set to AWD. The wheels locked up and I couldn't go anywhere. I turned the car off and turned it back on and still nothing. I turned the dial to 4 lock and heard it engage then back to AWD. Still nothing. I skid into a parking spot. I'm now crossing my fingers that I can get home!

- , Wentzville, MO, USA

Feb 092009

Durango Limited 5.7L

The dealer did the recall for interior lightsl and two months after that the piece of sh*t started shifting into 4 wheel lock on its own while driving. The stupid mechanics dont know what the hell to do,they have changed 5 different parts. Now they are waiting for a shift motor (2 months). I will never buy a dodge or chrysler product again. They suck ass.They cant even fix there own product. Dodge sucks, they should have gone under and never came back. I hate these pricks.

- , Warwick, RI, USA