CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

8.0

2004 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Mar 032014

Durango 4.7L

Purchased the 2004

Purchased the 2004 Durango used w/100,000 plus miles to pull our travel trailer to be.. In every other way this vehicle has exceeded expectations. Having been born in Detroit, I have to believe that old Walt P. Chrysler, Horace Dodge and his brother would have been proud of this vehicle in their fleet. I also have to believe that had their company not been sold by the government to foreign investors an answer to this problem would have been long since found and presented online on this site. For the record, my Durango has the 4.7 L engine. I have already replaced what was probably a perfectly acceptable battery at the cost of over $130.00 only to discover the problem was of some other source. Additionally, since so many others have related the very same complaint -- I have to believe many more very probably have also been so plagued that have been less willing to mention or share in a public forum.

Okay, randomly, voltage drains the battery overnight. What circuit fails to be disconnected when the vehicle is set to rest for the evening and why? Someone out there must have discovered the solution. Share it.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 112012

Durango SLT 5.7L

Mileage light and transmission gear indicator light stay on all the time draining the battery.

- , Collierville, TN, USA

Aug 132012

Durango SLT Hemi 5.7

Durango is killing battery every few days. Now it will only run for about 15 minutes and then dies with the battery light coming on. Electrical check of system is showing no problems and battery is showing good. Switched out battery but problem is still the same. Also have six cd player that stopped working but still tries to change Cd's while key is out of the ignition. Stays on 24 hours a day trying to change. This truck sucks. My radio and other problems started when the "supposedly" fixed a wiring harness recall. Now I have major problems and the shop has not found the cause yet. They thought it was a visor light staying on and drawing power but that is not the problem. Maybe it is a water leak issue I am going to check with the shop to see what they think.

Update from Sep 13, 2012: Took my car back to the shop. After a lot of testing they said my alternator was bad. They replaced that and the battery. It has ran good since the replacement but now is draining the battery again. That means that something is still slowly draining the power. It is not draining the battery like before but the battery was drained the other day enough that it would not start and had to be charged. I am sure that the wiring harness recall and modification has something to do with this. If the car is run everyday it seems to be okay. However the battery drain problem still persist.

Update from Oct 9, 2012: Had new battery and alternator installed. I see others are having problems with cd player staying on and malfunctioning when key is removed from the ignition. I have installed after market now into the car it has the infinity system with amp and it is killing the batter on the car in 24 hours or less. Techs can't find the cause. It all started after a recall for the wiring harness was modifiied that was suppose to cause a fire.

Update from Oct 15, 2012: Vehicle is now at chrysler in Kissimmee, they think it is now the forward control module but now have changed their minds because they are not getting any errors. They are going to keep the vehicle now to see if they can duplicate the battery drain. I believe it the the amp turning on at night in the infinity stereo system that is causing the battery drain. I will continue to follow-up if they ever find the problem.

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Apr 012011

Durango LX 4.7L

I have a 2004 Durango that I have had close to 6 months. My wife loves the thing but the discharging is driving me up the wall. It all started with the horn blowing and had to pull plug out of it to shut it up. After that is started to kill battery overnight. I have since found that driver’s side door lock doesn’t work. And ABS sincere wire was broken and someone had just wired it together. After that it stayed charged for 3 days. When out one morning and dead again. Was told some silver box under dash was bad so they replaced it and still the same. What I have read sounds like 04 Durango’s are a piece of crap.

- , Zanesville, Ohio, USA

Aug 312008

Durango SLT 5.7L V6

I have had to replace my Durango battery twice, making this the 3rd battery (including the original one) now in 4 years. My truck went dead on me in a very small town in Idaho 25 miles from the nearest town. The battery would not start with a jump, nor with a 50 amp charger, but with the keys OUT of the ignition lights were coming on in the dashboard and there were other sounds. We put in a smaller temporary battery to get me home. This morning my 6 cd changer was making shuffling noises by itself without the key in the ignition. The car dealer had the truck all day only to tell me nothing is wrong with it and they have no idea why I've had to put 3 batteries in it in 4 years. BTW, the cd changer still isn't working.

- , Cheney, WA, USA