CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 13 of 15)

Feb 102013

Durango

Vehicle started to run a little rough. Wife was at a stop light accelerated upon green and heard a loud noise and a jerk. She nursed it home about a mile or so. Pulled into the driveway and shut it off and oil was everywhere. I looked around and discovered a hole in the engine block behind the passenger side tire about the size of my fist. Have had the Durango since it was brand new. Its always ran great. We love our Durango. Very upset that this happened. We do not have much money to spare at months end, but we needed a car so we were forced to go buy another. Would like to maybe get the Durango fixed. But that might take a little while to get the money now. Be nice if Chrysler could send me a new engine or something. I have owned a total of 5 Chrysler brand vehicles.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Durango

Went grocery shopping night before. Woke up next morning to go to breakfast. Went to start Durango. Heard loud knocking and then it stalled got out and oil was spewing from under the engine. Took it to mechanic and had to get a $5500 loan to replace the entire engine due to a thrown rod.

- Havelock, NC, USA

Feb 072013

Durango 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact started the ignition and a loud noise emitted from the engine area. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where they advised the contact that the connecting rod fractured, which caused internal damage to the engine. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem and did not offer any assistance. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000...updated 03/18/13 the consumer stated there had been no prior problems other than a check engine light, which the dealer maintained was a vaccuum leak. There was also a rough running problem that the dealer attempted to repair by changing plug wires. That problem was not repaired. Updated 04/26/2013

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 082013

Durango

Went to start it for work on day and it started making a horrible noise. I got it looked at by a mechanic, was told that the engine had blown.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 122013

Durango 8-cyl

Similar to all other complaints I read. Was driving the vehicle during rain, engine started ticking. Stopped and had it towed to mechanic. Bent rod and busted piston.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Dec 082012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Went to the repair facility to have car looked at code P2302 came up when checking the computer was informed that would need a new PCM replaced with a new factory one and about 3 weeks ago light came back on and when trying to clear it the light blinks and just stays on both times the code P2302 came on the ignition coil for that cylinder was cracked and the plastic was melted.

- Parksville, NY, USA

Jan 292013

Durango

I bought the vehicle 9-25-12. It ran great until 1-29-13 when went to start it to go to work it made a loud crack like metal snapping. Turned out to be to be it snapped a rod and ruined the motor. Chrysler is not taking any responsibility for this problem even though it is happening to hundreds of people. This is obviously a motor defect and needs to be addressed. Hundreds of people are losing thousands of dollars, most of which can't afford a new vehicle or the cost of the repair. Good luck to everyone with this problem. Hopefully Dodge will do something about this situation and stand behind their vehicles.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Nov 142011

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that an engine rod failed. The contact was trying to reverse from a residential driveway when the failure occurred. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer where it was confirmed that the engine rod had failed. The dealer advised that the engine needed to be replaced and also advised that the failure was uncommon for such low mileage. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 119,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Jan 292013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated the vehicle made a loud popping noise while she proceeded through an intersection and smoke emitted from underneath the hood causing the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic who stated that a defective rod made a in the engine and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 111,000. Updated 03/01/13 updated 03/07/13

- Middletown , NJ, USA

Jan 192013

Durango 8-cyl

I crunk up my vehicle (Dodge Durango 5.7L) and it threw an rod that busted my engine block and oil pan.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Jan 162013

Durango 8-cyl

The vehicle drove fine on 01/15/2013. I went out to start it on 01/16/2013 and there were a really loud metal on metal sound. It sounded like there were rocks in the engine. I quickly shut the engine off. I had it towed to a local repair shop and I was told that the engine failed. A rod broke and put a hole in the block. The vehicle has been serviced regularly and there were no prior issues. No warning light at all.

- Martinsville, VA, USA

Jan 232012

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle began to sputter and within one hundred feet the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred every time it rained, snowed or when being driven through a car wash. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that there was a misfire on cylinder number 3. the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but they offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 63,000.

- Mendota, IL, USA

Jan 142013

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that when the engine was started, it emitted an unusual noise. The contact powered off the vehicle and attempted to restart but to no avail. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic and was not repaired. The failure was diagnosed by the contact as having a seized engine. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure and current mileages were approximately 127,500.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jan 152013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Went out to start in the am and the motor was making a loud banging sound and the whole car was shaking. Had it towed to my mechanic and was told the engine blew. Now having it towed to another place to put in a jasper motor is going to cost $5000. After reading up on this it seems to be a problem that should be looked into.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Jan 142013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving my 2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi and all of the sudden I heard a loud clanking noise coming from my engine. I turned it off and called a tow truck to have it towed to a garage. I was told by the mechanic that the engine was dead and it had blown a rod and could not be fixed. It has been maintained at the dealership where I bought it in 2004 up until two weeks ago when I had it inspected and the oil changed. This seems to be a common problem with these engines and something has to be done about it.

- Drexel Hill, PA, USA

Jan 102013

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while backing out of her driveway, a loud strange noise could be heard and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who informed the contact that the number eight rod fractured and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were approximately 120,000.

- Lago Vista, TX, USA

Apr 072010

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact coasted to the side of the road. The vehicle restarted within a few minutes; however, the failure recurred. The contact stated the failure occurred whenever it rained. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and was advised that the wiper cowl needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Cadillac, MI, USA

Dec 272012

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that when driving during inclement weather, the vehicle would stall without warning. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic, who advised him that the engine rod penetrated the side of the engine block. The mechanic also advised that the engine would need replacing. The contact called the manufacturer to report the failure but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 142,000.

- Festus, MO, USA

Dec 212012

Durango 8-cyl

My wife started up the vehicle to take our kid to school. When she started it, it was making a horrible clunking noise and vibrating vigorously. She immediately killed it and told me what happened when I got home from work. I started it up and I immediately knew that the engine was gone. The next morning I noticed an oil sheen on the ground in front of the Durango. I have read many things online about this problem and would like for Dodge to fix my vehicle. I have kept the oil changed in it regularly and done all required maintenance. I am in the military and need this vehicle for my wife. I cannot afford to fix this out of pocket.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Dec 282012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Started my Durango as I had the day before, to a sound similar of rocks having been thrown into the motor. I immediately turned it off thinking there was something, animal or stick, stuck in motor or fan. Open hood only to find nothing visibly seen to cause such a noise. Started again to the same horrible sound and turned off immediately. Called a very reputable neighbor with lifetime experience and working experience in the motor vehicle field. Upon starting he immediately knew the problem...that my 81,000 fully maintained Dodge Durango that I owe 4 months payments on yet, drive 1/2 mile to work daily, with no warning whatsoever had a blown motor due to the fact that a cheap part, below previous Dodge quality had been installed and caused this to happen.we had planned on driving out of town to get my daughters eyes checked the day before but was unable to afford the gas during this time of year due to being unemployed losing home and having to take a job three times less pay than previous. Thank god daily that we did not because the outcome could have been much worse knowing we could have been traveling on interstate and had this happen. My family has always bought and supported Dodge/Chrysler vehicles but from this point forward we will no longer support due to the lack of support, quality and care of the Dodge/ Chrysler industry today! paid for your buyout again!

- Ninety Six, SC, USA