CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 9 of 15)

Oct 102013

Durango

Right after I purchased this used vehicle without any service contract, I started to have problems when it rains the truck will start shaking, stalling and then the check engine light will come on, also after taking the truck thru a car wash it will do the same thing, I need help because I paid 11,000 dollars for these pos.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 012012

Durango

The electrical portion started after I first purchased the vehicle. The issue worsened after someone broke into the vehicle. The car wouldn't stay charged, and I ended up needing a tow every other week. My car insurance went up to $550 a month. I was always stranded. The problem was worse in the rain. Sometimes the car would cut off while driving, it did it once on the highway and I saw a semi coming down the highway and I thought I was dead. I got it started and pulled over to the shoulder because I didn't have enough speed to get out the way. Eventually it couldn't' start anymore. I had it sitting for a year as I kept making loan payments. I fixed one thing after the other...thinking it was the problem...the car would start and die a few days later. This last time I changed the starter for the third time. A rod was thrown and the engine is locked. I wasn't even driving the vehicle, it started after 3rd starter was installed and a crunch noise sounded a few minutes later while trying to give the battery some juice. I towed it into another shop and they confirmed the engine is gone. I had to pay full coverage insurance because it's financed and a car note for a truck that's gone. I've searched online and Dodge knows and hasn't taken responsibility. Involuntary repossession would be futile because after the fee for repo, towing, storage..I will owe more than what I have left to pay, $5000 and still not even scrap metal. I've read so many discussion board post, consumer blogs on this model and 'm floored. I guess the complaints are recent because one you get to like 70,00 mile you are toast. I don't drive to work, only on the weekends and I take good care of my truck and now I have nothing but payments and metal that looks pretty on the outside.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Jul 102013

Durango

The vehicle was kept in good condition oil changed ect. Vehicle threw a rod at around 30 mph.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Oct 092013

Durango 8-cyl

My truck was parked in the driveway, it was raining and then the lights started flickering without the keys being in the ignition. I tried to move the truck to the inside of the garage and the smoke came out of the hood and from under the dash. I turned the truck off and the engine remained running, we had to call the fire department because it was smoking and the keys were off. The fire department came and removed the battery and said it may be a short when it rained. The truck is in the garage I cant drive it when it rains because water goes in to the truck from the front I can actually see water leaking into the floor. I owned the truck for 3 years and never had this problem until it reached 100,000 miles.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Oct 162013

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled out on me during a heavy rain. I was going about 60mph on the highway, when vehicle started to shake. About 5 minutes after heavy rain, I lost all power and had to pull my vehicle off to the side of the road. I waited about 30 minutes and rain began to slow to a drizzle. Vehicle cranked right up after that. This is a very dangerous situation as I could have been rear ended on the highway. I have looked into this issue as I have had rough idles and stall outs when in automatic car washes. The issue seems to be with the cowl and a replacement cowl is available through the manufacturer at our own cost. If this issue has been addressed as a defect on an oem part then why should the consumer who has already paid for a vehicle be liable? I hope that this is more thoroughly investigated and it does not take the fatality of an unsuspecting consumer for issue to be addressed.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Aug 282013

Durango 8-cyl

Through my research I have found that the second generation Dodge Durango's, have a real problem with the front cowl, it seems that every time that it rains heavy or I drive through a an automatic carwash. Doing so caused the engine to run pretty horrible.on August 27 we got a very bad rain in town while driving home that night, I parked my SUV went into my house and a few hrs later I go to leave for work and I start the engineer and after a few hard knocks the engine goes boom. I sent it to a mechanic and they said that I blew a rod through the engine block on my number 6 cylinder due to hydrolock. I feel that Dodge should make a recall on the second generation Durango's and replace the front cowl with a better design that does not allow water to leak through the cowl and kill motors. As speaking for the customer this we should not have to pay 185 dollars for a design update for free along with labor.

- Grand Ledge , MI, USA

Sep 062013

Durango 8-cyl

While driving at approximately 55 mph the engine stalled. I was able to pull it off the road safely and put it into neutral. I then restarted the car and continued my drive. This same thing happened approximately 1 week later when I was traveling 35 mph. I again had to put the car in neutral and restart. This time I was not able to pull over since I was on a busy street. Luckily the car behind me did not hit me. One week later the engine went out (per another complaint that I sent in last night). Dodge has a problem with this engine and should be held accountable for replacements.

- Carrollton, OH, USA

Sep 212013

Durango 8-cyl

My wife and I purchased a 2004 Dodge Durango one year ago. Luckily the engine went out while the car was in our driveway. The engine only had 139,044 miles on it. Dodge has a history of the hemi engine going out. If this would have happened while my family was in the car in traffic and someone would have gotten injured or killed there would not be enough money in the world to fix it. Why hasn't Dodge admitted that there is a problem with this engine and recalled them?

- Carrollton, OH, USA

Sep 052012

Durango

My 2004 Dodge Durango limited stalls at slow speeds and when coming to a stop and also while making turns. Have had at dealership and they cannot find out what is causing this since there are no engine codes. Vehicle is becoming very dangerous to drive due to this issue. Durango has a 5.7 hemi engine. Why is there no recalls on this issue when it involves over four years of production" are we waiting on a incident like Toyota had before we react" this has happened to Durango's with mileage low to high. Please help us now on this issue before it happens to you. Thanks !

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Aug 152013

Durango 8-cyl

On August 15, 2013, got up got into my 2004 Durango with a 5.7 lit hemi engine and proceeded to drive to work as usual on my week day the vehicle showed no performance problems no check engine light or any other warnings on this vehicle arrived at work at approximately 10:30 a.M. and parked it, the car sat all day until 6:30 P.M., I came out from work got into my car started it up and it shut back down I tried to start it once again, I ended up calling my roadside assistance to tow the vehicle to a shop the car showed symptoms that it might be a starter, so an attempt to do an engine diagnostic was done on August 16, 2013 at a local Goodyear and they stated that the engine would not turn at all, they even attempted to hand turn it and to no avail it would not. At this point they said they did not have the capacity to fix it and I would have to have it towed to a shop that does major engine work so I did have it towed on August 16, 2013 to car czar and the said they were going to do a no crank, no start test on my car and on August 17, 2013 it was determined that the engine was totally seized and would not turn at all and that I would need a new engine. This auto care center also informed me that they could not fix this problem because this particular vehicle has special bolts and I would have to take it to a dealer also in my research for a new engine I ran across 41 pages of complaint from others with this same make and style of vehicle and they also describe the same problem with this car, I no some one who has also experienced the same problem with this same make and model, I bought my car off a carmax car lot a little shy of 2 years ago and it had one owner before me a very high maintenance vehicle and I'm a single mother with children I can't afford to take this kind of loss plus I'm still paying on it this is really sad.

- ,Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 112010

Durango 8-cyl

I pulled out of my apartment and began to accelerate up an incline. I heard a loud thump, all of the lights on the dash flashed and the car died right there approximately 60 yards from my door. After having it towed all over the place, I was informed that my engine had seized. I was very confused because I am always adamant about maintaining the vehicle and all of the regular work had been done. Dodge would do nothing because the vehicle's warranty had expired. Because I still owed money, I was forced to pay over $6,000 getting a replacement engine. Separate incident 08/17/2013 started vehicle after work. Got to work fine with no indications of trouble, engine was shaking violently, thick smoke sputtering from tail pipe. Reading engine codes saying fuel injector open. Spent 200 getting injection system checked with no success. Mechanic saying that the computer system is bad in the vehicle which is likely to cost upwards of $1000 from Dodge. Bottom line, this product is a complete disgrace, and I feel like the thousands of people affected by this terrible product should be compensated. I have almost had to pay for this car all over again with the time and money I have had to invest in repairs.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 222013

Durango 8-cyl

My 2004 Dodge Durango sat outside in the rain while I was away on a trip when it returned and restarted it, I heard a load pop and the engine idling rough, got out to check and seen and smelled oil coming out of the side of the engine block. Motors toast, good job Chrysler for a quality product!

- Toledo, OH, USA

Mar 012013

Durango

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango, when it rains it shake while driving and then the engine would make some noise have it check out it was nothing, at the end of February I had park at home for the weekend when it came to Monday wanted to go out car would not start, tried to power charge the battery started but died right after, had it check out mechanic guy said my engine is gone and I'm still making payment towards that car and it's about 3,000 or more to get another engine. It's not right that all of these people are complaining about the same problem, something need to be done right away. So now the car is just sitting there, while I'm making payments on it.

- Brockton , MA, USA

Aug 052013

Durango 8-cyl

I was taking off from a traffic light and I heard a pop sound and the engine shut off. I got the vehicle of the road and had towed to a repair shop. They said engine is shot something in the valve train broke loose and hit the piston. I have changed the oil and filter every 3-4000 miles since I have owned this vehicle. I have found by checking the internet that there are thousands and thousands of complaints for premature engine failure for a 2004 Dodge Durango with 5.7L engine. It is obvious that Dodge new about this because the problem seemed to go away in 2005 models.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 152011

Durango 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while parked, the engine failed to start after rainy weather. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after several days but noticed a knocking sound coming from the engine. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed to determine the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Ham Lake, MN, USA

Jul 292013

Durango 8-cyl

Drove vehicle on 7-26-13 everything running fine went to drive on 7-29-13 and started truck just to hear a loud bang and thump checked out by mechanic and it has a busted #7 connecting rod and engine block is shot and cant even rebuild this is a real problem that needs to be addressed quickly before any more hard working americans have to dump 4500-6000 dollars in their vehicle because some one wants to cover up a real problem.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Durango

I have owned my 2004 Dodge Durango hemi for just over a year. It had 86K miles. My family recently went on vacation for a week and returned home on July 27th, 2013. My husband needed to move my Durango so he could get to an electrical cord. When he turned the key my Durango made an awful noise that could be described as numerous people sitting there banging hammers on my engine. I don't know a lot about vehicles but I know enough to know that's never a good noise. I still owe money on my vehicle, and I am unable to drive it. Not to mention the cost it would be to replace the motor. I have read online that rebuilding the motor is a poor choice because something about the way the engine is built, it does not allow for all the pieces of medal to exit the motor after a rebuild, only resulting in a ticking time bomb for the motor to fail again. The reason for the engine failure is rain. Or car washes. I stopped driving my Durango in the car wash and during rain because it would stall out and run extremely rough. Dodge knows this is an issue, I am not the only one to complain about it but yet Dodge will not stand behind their product. If Dodge wont stand behind their product, I will never be a Dodge owner again. ----2004 Dodge Durango limited - engine failure at 86,004 miles.

- Barrington, NH, USA

Durango

I only had the darn SUV since 02/12.it rained very bad Friday night 7-26-13 and when I went to start the car the next morning the engine sounds like a hammer is in it or something I know I always had engine problems whenever I got a carwash but nothing like this time it's not drivable and I hope someone can get everyone a recall on these no good engines or motors whatever now I'm stuck in debt!!! its ticking and I don't know the next step to take.

- Roseville , MN, USA

Jun 232013

Durango 8-cyl

2004 Dodge Durango limited 5.7L hemi had a knocking noise, took it to the dealer and based on their visual and hearing inspection suspected to be the flywheel ring; dealer stated that they needed to take the trans out for a final assessment. Dealer stated that there was not issues with engine. A week later while driving at approximately 55mph a loud noise and smoke came from underneath the vehicle. The engine stopped and lost power breaks and power steering. Towed the vehicle to the dealer and I was told that there is a hole in the engine block by the 8th cylinder and engine was sized. Dealer found metal parts (piston rod parts) all over the engine compartment. Contacted Chrysler hq and I was told that there are no reports of such failure and they were not interested into looking at this problem. The vehicle had less than 106K miles. The vehicle was not repaired as the repairs (parts and labor) exceeded the book value of the vehicle. This looks like a metallurgy issue of the piston rod and Chrysler should address it.

- West Milford, NJ, USA

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, the vehicle made a loud unusual noise and failed to start. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 86,000.

- Barrington, NH, USA