CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Jan 102017

Durango

Driving at 30mph on city road the Durango lost full power. No power steering, brakes or acceleration with gas. Had to put Durango in neutral and turn key off and back on. Afterwards it was normal again. Very dangerous and scared to drive with family in it.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Nov 302016

Durango

I went to the Dodge dealer and made the complaint and they couldn't figure it out and took it to midas and another car repair shop and they could figure it out and when I looked at it online it said it was the cowl so I went back to the Dodge dealer and told them. They looked at me like I was crazy had to print off what everyone one had complained, so they replaced the rubber under the hood which was 40 dollars not that costly. But still when it rains, it runs rough and like it going to die. This is an accident waiting to happen. This should be a recall. When it first happened I was going to New York. Very scary going through the mountains and it starting raining hard all of the sudden going 70, drop to 30. Trucks on my butt. Not a good thing. Still every time it rains hard it still happens. I bought this vehicle almost 3 yrs. Ago for 10,000 with 80,000 miles on it. I have warranty and it's about over and no one can tell me what is wrong. So every time I bring it to a repair place I have to pay. This should be a recall. It's a life safety issue. So bascially I cant drive my car in heavy rain.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 242016

Durango

Gas and body issues: When you go to fill up the gas sprays out. I have a vert strong smell of gas and the lower finder by the wheel well has rusted badly. Motor: Whenever there is heavy rain, my car will stop running. Most recently when I turn on the ac or heater the car stalls. I also just recently had to change out a manifold which caused another set of problems. I owned a Durango before this one and loved it. This one has changed my mind and I will never own another.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Apr 242010

Durango

The rh side of the exhaust manifold continuously has an exhaust leak!

- Williamston, NC, USA

Jul 152016

Durango

Recently when rain falls heavily the engine starts sputting & cuts off then engine light comes on. Took it to mechanic & they put the machine on it. It shows nothing is wrong. Put keeps doing it only when heavy rains falls. Finally went online to all the other complaints to Dodge & found out its the cowling. Changed the cowling but its still doing it. Its a Dodge problem but they will not fix their problem & its costing me a lot of money. Dodge needs to do something about this immediately

- Lantana, FL, USA

Jul 312016

Durango

My 2004 Dodge Durango suffered the catastrophic engine failure due to hydrolock from the poor cowl design. I live in bear country, if this had happened while I was in a remote area I could have easily been stranded with 800lbs of claws and teeth. I started the motor in my driveway during a light rain shower only to hear an obvious problem in the engine, it ran for 5 seconds then died. Plenty of vehicles have been affected by this issue, but no recall has been issued. The 2012 hemi had a very similar issue and a recall was issued.

- Fort Wainwright, AK, USA

Jun 062016

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact recieved notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V770000 (air bags) and 15V313000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. Also, the check engine light was illuminated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Starkville, MS, USA

May 232016

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was parked, it failed to start without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the push rod fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 140,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 122014

Durango

Whenever it rains or I go through a car wash my car dies and the service engine light comes on. The steering wheel won't move, therefore I have no control over my car. We were in Tennessee the first time this happened and we were coming down the mountain when it died and we lost all control and almost got hurt and almost hurt others.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Jul 102015

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was parked, the power outlet in the center console started smoking. The contact and the passenger found the source of the smoke, pulled the panel off the center console, and noticed the outlet was on fire. The contact extinguished the fire. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. On another occasion, the contact heard loud grinding noises coming from the engine. While driving 50 mph and without warning, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted and driven to the contact's residence. Once home, the vehicle stalled. Upon further investigation, the contact stated that the spring separated from the engine and that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Graniteville, VT, USA

Nov 062015

Durango

After noticing a difference in driving power from a stop the RPM's would almost hit 2K before moving. Engine light came on and said that I had a miss-fire in cylinder 8 and I needed a new ignition coil. Bought new plugs and an ignition coil and proceeded to change them out. The drivers side of the engine plugs still looked clean and new. The passengers side were burnt, had moisture and the cylinder 8 plug was fouled and broke off in the engine. Finished changing everything out and put the truck back together with still no change in codes or power. Found that the starter was corroded and information concerning a bad cowl design causing hydro-locking of the engines. Also replaced the exhaust gaskets 3 times in 5-6 year period each time with broken bolts found. Changed out the PCM, then replaced all the injectors which were found to be cracked and swollen. The truck is still going into limp mode and turned my Focus on the transmission (replaced as well) and still having cylinder 8 miss-fire codes.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Feb 042015

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, a loud knocking noise emitted from the engine as the front end vibrated severely. The vehicle stalled without warning. After restarting, the vehicle resumed with an abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to locate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 153,714.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 072014

Durango

Rod pierced thru the bottom of engine and locked up (110K miles), family on board and happened while turning at busy intersection.. had to replace engine used( found one with 70K, waiting on this one to do the same) consumes tons of oil. Electrical within driver seat and cd player are faulty/broken. Rust on rear outer wheel wells. (noticed this rust is apparent in every same model make year that I run across)

- Elgin, IL, USA

Aug 222014

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle began to vibrate severely and various warning lights illuminated. The contact pulled over and restarted the vehicle with no failure present. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the throttle body was serviced. The vehicle was repaired. On another occasion, while parked, the vehicle was unable to start. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,953.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 142016

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the engine compartment flooded in the rain causing the vehicle to stall without warning. The vehicle failed to start on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Dec 222015

Durango

While entering a highway and accelerating up to speed there was a loud bang, both heard and felt, followed by very rough engine operation. Turned onto the first available side street and stopped the vehicle. While examining the vehicle and looking in through the driver's side front wheel well discovered a hole in the engine block. The crankshaft is visible through the hole.

- Gurley, AL, USA

Dec 222015

Durango

We were very happy with our Durango until a few days ago. My husband and kids loaded up a few days before christmas to go drive up the mountain, they made just as far as the neighbors driveway when they heard a loud bang and were able to pull in to the driveway of a neighbor. The engine completly seized, all oil leaked out. The car has always been well maintained. No warning at all! a few days earlier I had drove it to town in the rain and it was idling rough, but the next day seemed fine. Now the engine is shot. We have been having heavy rain for days and looks like water was leaking in to the engine due to a faulty cowl or something, which caused the engine to fail. We had just put brand new tires on the vehicle and just received new tags for it! all this with absolutely no warning! we are just out a vehicle and 2 days before christmas! had we known this was an issue we would have gladly done everything we could to fix it, but we have only had the vehicle for a few years and had no idea rain could cause our engine to seize up! thankful it happened close to home and no accident, but very scary when something like this happens!

- Pleasant Hill, OR, USA

Apr 132011

Durango

I purchased the vehicle in 2009, within a 1 years, I noticed while driving during a heavy downpour the car would shake and sometimes stall out. I took it to the dealer in 2011 and they replaced the intake gaskets. I am now realing that this seems to be a common problem and should have had a recall on it.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 182015

Durango

11/18/15. It was raining hard here in Oregon as I was on my way back from taking my girlfriend to the doctors. I was first in line at an intersection. When the light turned green I proceeded. Half way through the intersection, without warning, I heard a terrible repeating bang. My vehicle died and I was able to coast into a near parking lot. I had it towed to my mechanic and he took it apart and had found out the engine was shot. He reported to me, that he has had a few of these Durangos lately with the same problem.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Nov 182015

Durango

Purchased vehicle in April 2013. First week fuel pump went out. In late 2013 replaced fuel pump again after it went out a second time. By now we realized that if we drove the vehicle in the rain or through a car wash it would shutter and cut off. In early 2014 the fuel pump went out again. We replaced fuel pump again and also cowl as we had found information that the cowl was allowing water to drip down on the engine and electrical box. This helped for about 14 months. In July 2015 replaced fuel pump twice. Now it is November 2015 and as I type this it is back in the shop having the fuel pump replaced again. Water is again leaking onto the engine and computer block. It causes shuttering and stalling and then within a short time the fuel pump goes out. Driving down the road in the rain is terribly dangerous because there is no way to tell if the vehicle will shut off or not. I have contacted Dodge and there is a technical safety bulletin about this issue, but no recall as of yet. A quick search shows hundreds of other Dodge owners having the same issue. Because most of the vehicles are no longer under warranty Dodge has not address the issue as a whole. I hope it doesn't take someone or a family being killed before a recall is issued.

- Hermitage, TN, USA