Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

1. replace engine (103 reports)
  3. replace engine or junk it (10 reports)
  4. Dodge recalls due to design flaw (3 reports)
  5. gave to charity (2 reports)
  6. replace cowl to prevent engine hydrolock (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jan 312013

Durango SLT 5.7L V8

My 2004 Durango with 96k miles threw a rod. I serviced the vehicle every 3000 miles. I've spent thousands in recommended maintenance at the Dodge dealer where I purchased the vehicle. Why wouldn't I get 150K or even more out of a $35000.00 vehicle that had every recommended service and consistent oil changes?. I needed to keep this vehicle as I am now retired from the military and have a fixed income. I was proud to purchase an American vehicle. I'm starting to look at imports. What a shame.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 012013

Durango SLT 5.7L Hemi

Same as everyone else complaining here. Threw a rod in my driveway. My wife has babied this vehicle, including 3k mile oil changes. $5100 to replace engine with a used model, which will probably fail anyway. FIX YOUR PROBLEM MOPAR. I will NEVER purchase a Mopar, they are garbage. JUNK.

- , Plymouth, NH, USA

Jan 162013

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

I bought this truck because I liked it and it works well with my family. It has lots of power and looks aggressive. Rides really nice. But I expected the engine to last well over 200,000 miles. I kept the oil changed and did the major tune ups on it. I spent a lot of money on this sh*t. Now it's sitting With a dead engine. I can't believe dodge will not do anything about this They had to have known that the engine was f*cked up. Now I have To spend money I don't have to fix there problem. All i did was started it up N the morning and clunk clunk is what I heard and I turned it off. I knew What that sound was. I'm not stupid. This is some bull sh*t. There should Be a recall on this sh*t. What are they waiting for. Some one to gets Hurt really bad or get killed because of this.

- , Columbia, MD, USA

Feb 222013

Durango SLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

OK, I am a technican for chrysler and have been for the past 30+ years, I am a firm believer in the proper maintenece and care of all my vehicles (which I currently own multiple chysler products) and i had to drive a lot vehicle home on thusday night and my durango never made a mention of any coming issues, however, when I went to start my durango the folling evening to head home for the weekend, the engine had not even made a full revolution to start and there was no more quiet hemi, it sounded like a rod had decintegrated inside the block, and another techncian jokingly stated that it was leaking blood (oil) and come to find out that it actually was, through the now very apparent hole on the passenger side of the engine block! Now here is the funny part, I work for chysler and you would think that maybe they would help or be aware of the same issue (that after only 5 minutes of searching on google that this is not just a once in a blue moon issue) there are tons of these same exact cases that i am experiencing, I even opened a star case (which is chryslers techncian help program and made my issue seem as though it was another customer experiencing this) i was told sorry that this happened and that all that could be done was to put a 3year 100,000mile warranty chrysler reman hemi in it. I was planning on keeping this vehicle for a very long time, but after this extrmely strange case and finding that chrysler will not stand up and help any of the people affected it has left a very sour and bitter taste in my mouth and I can personally say that this once a proud guy to say that I work for Mopar will be selling all of my mopar products and driving something else. I hope that enough people bring this to chryslers attention and maybe something will be done about it, but until then good luck, because that will be the only way that chrysler will pay for this mistake.

- , Jefferson City, TN, USA

Jan 042013

Durango SLT 5.7L Hemi

Engine failed just about the same day as all the others here without warning on start up. My AAA extended warranty fought tooth and nail not to cover it. but ended up paying for all but 800 dollars. I have owned 3 MOPARS over the years and all of them died of catastrophic engine failure with no warning if there is a way to hold Chrysler Corp. accountable for continuing production on materials with known defects it should be done. The engine rebuilder I used told me that they correct all known issues and guarantee it for 1,000,000 miles or 4 years no fault as long as oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles. I guess I should have known better than to give Chrysler corp my money again

- , Fairless Hills, PA, USA

Feb 232013

Durango SLT 5.7L

Update from Jun 8, 2015: 04 5.7 hemi ran fine on friday 2-22-13 when parked. Went to crank up on 2-23 after it had been raining all night and motor slung a rod through the block at the number 7 piston. Did not know this was a problem until i googled it and hundreds of people are having the same problem with the 04 hemi in durango's!! We had recently taken it in to the Commerce Dodge Dealership because we were driving it home from vacation in the RAIN and it started skipping but the Dealership said they couldnt find anything wrong.

The Durango only had 106,000 miles, dealer maintained.

- , Danielsville, GA, USA

Aug 072012

Durango Limited 5.7L

we bought this car as our new year gift to ourselves, traded a perfectly good car for it drove it for 7months I was on my way home from work at 11pm sitting at a stop light heard a loud sound and the car shut down. now I'm stuck in the dark and rain with out my cell ended up waiting for my family to come find me they found me 3hours later. when we looked under the car oil was all over the ground. this is the only car we have and we cant afford to get it fixed, still paying 330.00 a month on the note. I don't have a car at all. begging family for a ride to places and paying them gas money. I check other people complaints about this car and this has happened a lot and there should be a recall cause its dangerous. thank goodness I was sitting still cause if I was in traffic I would have been in a crash!!! somebody gotta do something about this. I'm doing all I can to hang on to my job, its hard being without a car. If chrysler wants to keep customers they really need to fix this problem. the car is beautiful, we love it but its a piece of sh*t, feel like a SUCKER!!! I really need my car fixed. I cant trade it in cause my car notes was late because I had surgery and my husband was the only one bringing in money so we're stuck with a body case we don't have a motor. I pray that one day I wake up and the recall is announced cause we really need a miracle. its just not right!

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 272013

Durango Limited Hemi

I own a now engineless 2004 Durango Limited with Hemi. As with all the other customers on here, last night I was driving home (by myself thankfully) and heard a sound that sounded like someone dropped a waterballon off a 10 story building. After I checked the rearview and sideview mirrors to see if I hit anything I realized all dash lights were off, power steering wasnt working and brakes were tough when pushing. Basically I was coasting down the road powerless. After I got it pulled over and saw smoke coming from under the hood and oil leaking out of the bottom I knew it was bad.

Mechanic told me I likely broke an engine rod which cracked the engine block. He could see a dent in the block where the crack was and oil leaking out. I am by no means a mechanic, but can say I have had very few problems (rear differntial went 2 years ago) with the truck up until this point and have owned it from mile 1 and have taken very good care of it. But to have an engine blow at 117,000 miles is ridiculous. I was quoted anywhere from $4500-7500 to fix it and at this point, given that this was the kid carrier I am hesitant to put that kind of money back into. Very disappointing reading all of these posts that Dodge has basically said "forget" you, sorry not our problem.

Very conflicted as I have gotten this far with very little problems, but given the severity of this breakdown and the financial loss it's causing me right now I would have serious reservations recommending another Dodge product to someone.

- , Toms River, NJ, USA

Mar 262013

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

2004 dodge durango only 85000 miles, was running perfect, no problems, no indication that I was about to lose an engine. On 3/26/2013, went out that morning to start vehicle, it made a loud noise like starter was out, except ten times louder. Have been told engine is wasted and have now come to understand is a common problem for the 2004 durango with the 5.7 hemi. I just got off the phone with dodge customer service 1800-992-1997 of course she told me out of warranty, sorry nothing they could do to help. Regardless I filed a complaint and hope that you all will do the same. Hopefully if enough of us do, something will eventually be done. AGAIN THAT NUMBER IS 1800-992-1997 she told me they have very few complaints about this; lets change that...

- , Coxs Creek, KY, USA

Apr 092013

Durango SLT 5.7L

I purchased my 2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 in August of 2011 from a local dealership after looking for a larger vehicle. I found it to be nice vehicle that ran really good and got pretty good gas for the size of engine and vehicle that it was.

Not long after purchasing I took the Durango through an automatic carwash. Shortly after the carwash started the engine started to idle very roughly before stalling out. After sitting for a short time after the car wash I was able to get the vehicle to re start. At first it was driving a little rough but quickly returned to running normal. I didn't think too much of it at the time because I also had owned a 87 Chrysler Le Barron (how ironic another Chrysler product) when I younger and had the same issue with it not liking car washes. After taking the Durango through a second car wash a few months later and having the same result I just figured I would stop using the automatic car washes.

I didn't experience any problems until early into the fall of 2012 when we I was driving in a thunderstorm. While at a stop light the vehicle started to idle very roughly before stalling. Once again I was able to get the vehicle started after a short time. It ran rough for a short time but then returned to normal.

In early April of 2013 while driving on the interstate in a thunderstorm the vehicle starting running rough before losing power and stalling out. I was able to get the vehicle over to the side of the road. Once again after a short wait I was able to get the vehicle started once again running roughly for a short time before returning to normal.

The next morning I went to start the vehicle to go to work. It turned over, started, ran for about 2 seconds. There was a grinding noise and then the engine quit. After doing some investigating I was able to find out that there was water in 3 of the cylinders and found the rod for the no. 6 cylinder had broken.

After doing some research online I have seen many other owners of 2004 Durangos have been having the same issues with their engines due to rain getting inside resulting in broken rods or locked engines. Dodge has been quick to push the blame of this issue off onto the owners saying its from not keeping the vehicles up properly, pushing to cost of these repairs off onto the owners. With so many people having the same issue on the same vehicle this issue is clearly from a mechanical design flaw and a complete safety issue.

So far I have been without this vehicle for over a month. I have $4700 left to pay on the vehicle and don't have to resources to get a loan to replace the engine of this vehicle which from what I've seen could run as high at $5000.

I had been looking at replacing this vehicle with another newer Durango but now I can't wait to be able to unload this Dodge and will never get another Chrysler product.

- , Sioux City, IA, USA

Mar 202013

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 292012

Durango SLT 4.7L

Ok I am a 32 year mother of 3 with two disabled I take care of daily..the other in a nursing home in Taylor Mi..which is miles away from me at least 20 mins driving..I purchased this vehicle 3years ago wanting to prevent paying foe major repairs, ,needing a reliable vehicle From Kings Auto in Detroit. I had a car fax report pulled and everything. I also took it to a Chrysler dealership after my purchase to check the engine quality. well long story short before I could finish paying for my financing my Truck stalled on the warning signs. 2days before, I took it to an auto zone prior because for diagnostics the oil light kept coming on..After I had just had the oil changed. Scheduled maintenance. .they couldn't find a problem. .it read as the trans axle module or a sensor went out or was going out .that it should be fine to drive still nothing major..I am no mechanic. ...two days later it started making a rattling noise on and off..As I drove on the free way , ,almost at my destination the Truck made the most horrible sound.As if I drove over a bunch of marbles or rocks, that was caught up in the engine.Barley making it off the freeway with my 3 daughters scared..I was nervous praying that I didn't have to come up thousands of dollars. .SADLY THAT WASN'T THE CASE...AFTER MY TRUCK SAT FOR 9 months..I was finally able to get a quote. .cost me 600 bucks..just to have my engine diagnosed. I was told my A licensed mechanic who specializes in engines and transmissions..that the 4.7 engines are defective. That Chrysler doesn't want to own up to a 6 dollar part and recall their engines..the crankshaft in my engine had exploded which sent fragments everywhere into the engine . Which made it unrepairable.they also .made known to me that no matter what the maintenance's bound to happen and its nothing the consumer could possibly do to prevent it from taking place..he went on to tell me that those engines keep his business booming..Told me they're his number one seller . Chrysler need to own up to this problem.its not fair to hard working people trying to get ahead in life..paying all this money out just to still end up with a JUNK TRUCK! The shop has offered to write up a report on my behalf also with pictures to follow..It took this shop an additional month to repair once they diagnosed it.Which they actually tore the engine down to look at ..Today I was watching Fox 2 news in Detroit MI..Heard about a class action law suit against Ford Motor Company FOR CAR PROBLEMS..THEY WENT ON TO MENTION CHRYSLER AS WELL..ABOUT ENGINES STALLING....THEY ONLY MENTION ED 2006 ENGINES..SAID THEY ARE AWARE OF THE PROBLEMS BUT STILL FAIL TO RECALL THEM . NOT TO MENTION WHAT REALLY PISSED Me OFF IS THAT THEY HAVEN'T ADDED 2004 DODGE DURANGOS WITH 4.7 ENGINES INTO THAT CATEGORY YET..I WANT TO BE REIMBURSED FOR EVERY DOLLAR I HAD TO PAY OUT..INCLUDING A NEW ENGINE...I HAD TO SETTLE FOR A USED ENGINE WITH A 3 YR WARRANTY. .ONE BEING LABOR OTHER 2 BEING ENGINE. .THE ONLY THING GOOD IS THAT THE SHOP THAT DID THE REPAIRS ORDERED THE PART THAT WAS DEFECTIVE AND UPGRADED THE USED ENGINE THEY PLACED IN SO THAT I WOULDN'T END UP WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS. .PEOPLE GET YOUR CARS CHECKED AND LETS FORCE CHRYSLER TO OWN UP TO WHATS THEIR PROBLEMS NOT OUR POCKETS. .KEEP MAKING NOISE UNTIL WE ARE HEARD

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 192012

Durango LX 5.7L

2004 Dodge Durango..... What a bad buy!

This Dodge has been at the dealership for 8 months! Yes, 8 months! # 7 rod bent not once, but twice!!!!! Yes, twice!!!

Suburban Dealership does not know why and can not show the CNA contract company proof why it bent a rod. Dodge, you really let me down. I bought the Durango to support you guys in troubled times. Now you are really hurting me and many others. There is a problem with this Dodge and nobody wants to talk about it. Shame on you!!!!

One question-if I put a motor in this Durango, will I still have this issue in the years to come???????? Come on, Man up Dodge! This will be the last Chrysler Dodge Jeep I will ever trust! Well my last try at this will be local new stations for complaints ...BBB... and every one I come in contact with, bad new travels faster that good news Dodge boys. Shame on You! If anyone out there can help me on what to do with this please reply! Oh, I have been called a dumb ass enough times for buying this Dodge so please, helpful remarks only!

- , Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jan 022013

Durango Limited 5.7L

Dodge really need to be held responsible for this issue that a lot of people are having. We buy cars expecting for it to be at least in good shape. Not having an engine problem which takes a grip out your pocket. I am a mom of seven and have been left stranded in the rain with an engine that locked up. Maintenance has been kept up in all! oil change, tune ups, and everything. haven't had the truck for a year and am now putting out more money than expected for a rental. if i didn't have an extended warranty i will still be paying car note on a vehicle i cant drive. I still had to come out with 650 dollars towards the fixture of my vehicle. Dodge need to be recalling these vehicles before somebody gets hurt. Dodge durango 2004 limited! Do not purchase....

- , Washington, DC, USA

Mar 032013

Durango SLT 4.7L V8

I am writing this because I hate that I bought this *&%%&^^% 2004 Dodge Durango now. Last Sunday I got up for church to warm the truck up and when I finished getting dressed I loaded up for church. As I pulled out of the drive I heard a loud knocking sound and even though my truck did not blow a hole in the side of the engine like some others I am reading it sounds like it is the same problem. I took it to the shop and they told me the rod is bent and has damage to the engine and it needs to be replaced............. I was like forget this because a remanufactured engine cost $2500 + $500 (core) + $1,000-1,500 (Labor) and so I have at least a year and a half to finish paying it off and all of a sudden I don't want to pay anymore. I am already under chapter 13 and getting ready to convert to a chapter 7 and I am seriously thinking about calling my lawyer and have her tell the finance company they can come pick this piece of crap vehicle up. I will never buy another Dodge vehicle ever....... I will also tell everyone I know not to ever buy a Dodge vehicle because of their engine problems...... Why doesn't the government MAKE Dodge replace everyone's engine that owns a Durango because this is defect with this engine and it should have been recalled...... Give us a STIMULUS Package (New ENGINE) !!!!!!!

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 012013

Durango 5.7L Hemi

I was stopped at a red light then when it turned green I hit the gas and then a horrible banging noise started. We pulled right over to the side of the road and turned it off asap. Oil was going all over the place. We had to have the truck flat bedded home. We have 4 kids and were left broke down with a 1 yr old until someone came. I love my durango and i have owned a 1999 durango with no problems but the tranny going twice! Then we got this 2004. We have not even had it for 2 yrs! We have no other vehicle and now need to try and fix this engine but why would we if its gonna do the same thing again!!!!! Why would they do this to people!

- , Richburg, NY, USA

Jul 012012

Durango Limited Hemi

My husband and I purchased a 2004 Dodge Durango limited edition used in 2009. We always kept the car is great condition and provided regular maintenance. In May 2012 on a family road trip to Georgia the thermostat shot all the way up. We took it to a mechanic in Georgia and he told us the thermostat had gotten stuck in the closed position due to the weather as it was already 90 degrees in GA that weekend and that there was nothing else wrong with the vehicle.

Shortly after that trip we returned to New York and on extremely hot days the thermostat would again shoot all the way up, but would come back down a few minutes after driving. Then in July 2012 while 8 months pregnant and with my 3 other children in the car, I pulled off from a red light and the car made a boom sound, then a hiss sound and smoke started coming out the top of the hood and oil/water I'm not sure started pouring out the bottom of the engine. We pulled over turned the car off and restarted it and absolutely nothing happened. It wouldn't start at all. We had it towed to our mechanic in New York and he told us the engine had blown and that we needed a new one.

To buy a re-manufactured HEMI engine in New York from Dodge is $4900 plus labor and it only comes with a 3 year warranty. Additionally there are many other parts we will need to replace to really get the benefit of spending that much money including the transmission, another $2000 repair! My husband and I are worried about making such a large investment but the car has been sitting in our backyard for 6 months now, we need a 7 seater, and buying something new is going to cost us way more than that! Not sure why Dodge is not admitting to this known engine problem in the Durango and compensating its customers. I love my Durango, but the blind eye Dodge is turning to this issue is extremely disheartening!

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 262012

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

well sounds like im not alone. only difference there's no hole in the side of my block. still garage tells me engine is junk. really don't have the money to fix right now. been a dodge guy all my life but if this is the best dodge can build i can understand why people buy foreign. that's where im headed. hate to say it but apparently dodge doesn't give a sh*t about me so they can stick the hemi where the sun don't shine and then turn the key for a big SURPRISE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , minot, ME - Maine, USA

Dec 272012

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

My 2004 dodge durrango's engine sounded like it was rattling all over the place when I turned it on I don't even leave it on for 3 seconds cause it sounded so bad, I had it towed and my mechanic said it was not worth fixing because I could buy a new car for the amount it would cost. I called dodge and told them the problem and they wanted nothing to do with it and wouldn't help me in any way. I think it should be recalled cause it has happened to 100's of people. They won't do a god damn thing until something tragic happens which is disgusting. Something needs to be done. I just wish I knew what could be done but all is people that got screwed like this don't deserve to be without a car and be down this much money. Thank you for reading, I just wish someone can help. I will never buy from dodge again and will do my best to make sure that Anyone I know doesn't either.

- , Dorchester, MA, USA

Dec 282012

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

It's not fair that Dodge don't take responsibility for their manufacture products. I am a mom of seven kids and now is out of as vehicle and still paying a car note, because I don't have 6,000 dollstart to pay for a hemi engine to be replace. Why haven't they been sued? I am very upset because that was my means of transportation. I see they are still getting rich while people vehicles are not lasting. None of these people probably even own their own products in their driveway. We are loosing out on money and i gotta try to find a way to get this fix. Being as though their excuse was your warranty has expired. And i only had the truck for 9 months. The sad part was the engine blew when i was on my way to take my child to the hospital. Imma find a way to sue their asses....i am dons with dodge. Now i got a piece of junk just sitting on the street...

- , Washington, DC, USA