CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Sep 242016

Durango

Gas and body issues: When you go to fill up the gas sprays out. I have a vert strong smell of gas and the lower finder by the wheel well has rusted badly. Motor: Whenever there is heavy rain, my car will stop running. Most recently when I turn on the ac or heater the car stalls. I also just recently had to change out a manifold which caused another set of problems. I owned a Durango before this one and loved it. This one has changed my mind and I will never own another.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Mar 012016

Durango

Takata recall - my truck smells like gas on the inside & outside & is leaking gas the fuel tank has collapsed for the second time I have replaced it 5years ago & now is collapsed again is there any recall do to it being a reoccurring issue, afraid that is going to catch on fire while driving it or parked any little spark probably can ignite it into flames.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Nov 022015

Durango

Every time I fuel my Durango it spews gasoline after the pump is shut off.

- Monticello, UT, USA

Nov 182015

Durango

Purchased vehicle in April 2013. First week fuel pump went out. In late 2013 replaced fuel pump again after it went out a second time. By now we realized that if we drove the vehicle in the rain or through a car wash it would shutter and cut off. In early 2014 the fuel pump went out again. We replaced fuel pump again and also cowl as we had found information that the cowl was allowing water to drip down on the engine and electrical box. This helped for about 14 months. In July 2015 replaced fuel pump twice. Now it is November 2015 and as I type this it is back in the shop having the fuel pump replaced again. Water is again leaking onto the engine and computer block. It causes shuttering and stalling and then within a short time the fuel pump goes out. Driving down the road in the rain is terribly dangerous because there is no way to tell if the vehicle will shut off or not. I have contacted Dodge and there is a technical safety bulletin about this issue, but no recall as of yet. A quick search shows hundreds of other Dodge owners having the same issue. Because most of the vehicles are no longer under warranty Dodge has not address the issue as a whole. I hope it doesn't take someone or a family being killed before a recall is issued.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Sep 152015

Durango

I have had this SUV for just a few months the day I mad my first payment it went into the shop to be fixed. At first it was apparently my #5 piston shot thru the block with only 120,000 mile on it. Than after spending the $3,700 to get that fixed it was still smoking and having issues. Next thing I know it is now the intake manifold whitch was another $700 and it was 84 in back order when I seen that I pulled it up online were I read that thousans and thousands of people have had this same problem with the first year of the hemi motor in the Durango. I have three small children and I support my kids and husband due to his spine surgerys. I feel if there has been this many parts go bad that it should have a recall with it. I cant afford to keep putting money in something that is still not going to drive properly with my children in it. It has shut off while driving the SUV. It is not safe for my kids to be in im afraid they will be hurt or killed if it happens again. Dodge needs to do the right thing and have thiss recalled as soon as they can. The vechile turned off while on a street thank god it was not on the free way.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Dec 042006

Durango

I was driving my wife to work that morning, it was a bright clear day. I was parked half out of garage. As my wife came out of the laundry room I touched the gas to pull forward. However this did not happen, SUV revved all the way up and would not rev down. I tried to apply brakes but they did not work. I came within a foot of killing my wife. To make this so bad I complained about this before so has my wife. My SUV literally went through 3 walls and several rooms. I have 3 disk fused in my neck and several of the screws are broke. I can live being a cripple but I cant live with out my wife. Chrysler had independent inspector take a look at it. I told him it was at Eagle paint and body, and did he need me to stop all repairs. He told me know he could get his data from computer. The Chrysler legal team sent ne a nasty letter stating that I hade moved the vehicle and they were no longer responsible. I even tried to call Chrysler back to tell them the SUV did the same thing, but they informed me legal took over the case and they needed no other data from me. Just one thing when this happens again and kills myself, my family or a bus of kids. Who will be going to jail for the rest of there life.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Nov 272014

Durango 8-cyl

I was filling up my gas tank when the car started spitting out gas at me. Luckily I stopped it fast enough but had some gas on me and all over the side of my car. I've looked this up and it seems to be a big problem with the Durangos. I really would like to fill my car up without worrying about being covered in gas or my car starting to rust.

- Weatherford , TX, USA

Jun 012012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The wheel well and body surrounding wheel well has rusted through, the driver's door has rusted on door. The lift gate has rusted in multiple spots mostly on the bottom edge. The fuel tank overflows when pumping.

- Plaistow, NH, USA

Sep 052012

Durango

My 2004 Dodge Durango limited stalls at slow speeds and when coming to a stop and also while making turns. Have had at dealership and they cannot find out what is causing this since there are no engine codes. Vehicle is becoming very dangerous to drive due to this issue. Durango has a 5.7 hemi engine. Why is there no recalls on this issue when it involves over four years of production" are we waiting on a incident like Toyota had before we react" this has happened to Durango's with mileage low to high. Please help us now on this issue before it happens to you. Thanks !

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Apr 052011

Durango 8-cyl

Gas leaks when filling tank gas fumes in car taken to the dealer several times.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Sep 242012

Durango

Fuel tank has a problem on top it rust out & the vehicle will not pass a emission test. To pass you have replace the tank &the fuel pump.a cost of $2200. I called Chrysler they said to bad. They said there are no problems. I saw (4 Durangos) that have this problem. My whole thing is they will replace a engine on a police vehicle with 150000 mi on them but forget the gas tank. That is a real problem.

- Milford, MA, USA