CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Dec 202015

Durango

The weather stripping was bad on my Durango which caused water to get into my engine and caused it to seize

- Marquette, MI, USA

Jun 222016

Durango

When raining car starts shaking then shuts off making it hard to turn wheels. When making sharp right turns or reversing feels as if it is stalling or something is locking up. At any given time it makes a swishing sound but mostly when locking or unlocking doors. I have taken it to the shop several times to this looked at and the shop owner could find nothing wrong with it.

- Racine, WI, USA

Aug 052015

Durango

My truck cuts off while I'm driving all the time when im turning corners

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 152015

Durango

I have had this SUV for just a few months the day I mad my first payment it went into the shop to be fixed. At first it was apparently my #5 piston shot thru the block with only 120,000 mile on it. Than after spending the $3,700 to get that fixed it was still smoking and having issues. Next thing I know it is now the intake manifold whitch was another $700 and it was 84 in back order when I seen that I pulled it up online were I read that thousans and thousands of people have had this same problem with the first year of the hemi motor in the Durango. I have three small children and I support my kids and husband due to his spine surgerys. I feel if there has been this many parts go bad that it should have a recall with it. I cant afford to keep putting money in something that is still not going to drive properly with my children in it. It has shut off while driving the SUV. It is not safe for my kids to be in im afraid they will be hurt or killed if it happens again. Dodge needs to do the right thing and have thiss recalled as soon as they can. The vechile turned off while on a street thank god it was not on the free way.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Durango

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango slt 5.7L hemi. Never had any big issues with it until in 2014 I was driving home from work on the highway when I heard a loud bang and loud knocking noises followed shortly by an abrupt shut off. I tried immediately to get to the side of the road but when I lost power steering from the engine ceizing and couldn't correct myself enough so I went down the hill off the side of the highway while trying to break with no brake booster anymore as well. I ended up running into a couple small tree's and finally stopping. Air bags didn't deploy and I only jammed my finger and hurt my back some but I only missed a larger group of tree by inches. My front bumper was ripped off, my drivers side headlight was broke as well as my grille and my windshield cracked. I took it to my mechanic and found out that the engine "hydrolocked" and a piston rod punched through my engine and broke a lot of other things internally. Needless to say the engine is gone. After doing some research I have found that there are hundreds more people that had this happen to their 04 and 05 Dodge Durango with the 5.7L hemi. Apparently the water runs right down onto the engine and pools up and the intake is faulty so it sucks that water up and causes a catastrophic hydrolock with the engine which could kill someone if they lose power steering and power brakes within a second. I've been trying to save to get a new engine (which will cost about $3800 alone) because I bought this for too much and neither Dodge or my insurance would cover it so it's now a pile of scrap until I hopefully can get a new engine or have Dodge buy this death trap back. Dodge needs to buy these back or fix them! this is by far not an individual case and it is very dangerous and costly!

- Paw Paw, MI, USA

Aug 102015

Durango

I have called Dodge in my hometown of sacramento for three weeks now. I get put on hold or into some phone abyss and cannot get helped for my safety recall. I feel this is an important issue but I cannot get anyone to cooperate. My suggestion is for you to call them and make an appt for me. During my last call on August 26 I asked for the girls name who answered the phone and I explained to her that I have been trying to get an appt. Again, she transferred me to some abyss. Her name is briana and their number is (916)273-9089.

- Rancho Cordova,, CA, USA

Jul 062011

Durango

I have been on several site and people who own Dodge Durango are have the same problem. I had the car diagnosed they said it was the O2 sensor and the Durango has 4 so I had them replaced. The problem stopped for about 2 months then started again said its missing because I need a tune up got the tune up still doing it. Then its still bucking shutting off while your driving hesitating when you back up and pull off. So I had it diagnosed again said the coil need to be replaced. Replaced that check engine line still on still bucking shutting off when when your driving hesitating when you back up and pull off. Had it diagnosed again said its the PCM but it can mask itself as the map sensor, tps, crank or cam positioning sensor. Dodge knows this is a ongoing problem and refuses to do anything about because of there shotty workmanship no matter how many times you replace it you still end up have the same problem down the line and its very expensive. Its not right that Dodge or shall we same damien Chrysler want rememdy the problem. The crazy thing is the wiring harness is affected to and the parts alone for that is 1180 PCM 400 and thats used and you have to get it rebuilt which causing a problem because it can still be defective.

- Jackson, NJ, USA