CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

9.3

1. replace ends and new steering column (2 reports)
2004 Dodge Durango steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Mar 082008

Durango LTD 5.7L Hemi

Yes it is unbelievable, and I too am still waiting on the same part. Been waiting since March 8th. Calling Dodge gets you no where! I've called multiple times and all I have gained is that they now call me once or twice a week to tell me they still don't have it, but they are working on it. I am the disgusted owner of my last Dodge Product EVER!!!!!

- , Paris, IL, USA

Mar 232008

Durango 5.7L

I just got off the phone with Chrysler Customer Service. I am so mad that I have blurry vision! The right side tie end is bad. It is dangerous to drive. The really really bad part is this.....there are no tie rod ends ANYWHERE. The are on back order..others with same problem have told me horror stories on how long they have been waiting. I am now at 2 weeks which is nothing compared to what others have been waiting. Chrysler Customer Service is a major major JOKE....only the joke is not funny. Now I just read a complaint that a poor bloke was told (after waiting 6 weeks for his tie rod), that he won't be getting it at all??? The vehicles are not old !!!!! This should not be happening. I love my county but... Sorry America....I tried to buy American but look what happened! By the way, I also had the key problem and the cluster mount problem and my front seat is broken. I want my Toyota back !!!

How many of you Durango owners have also had this tie end problem? Have there been any accidents reported? I bet there have been some accidents due to this. Sounds like it should be added to the recall list...and yes...I said "list"!

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 022008

Durango SLT 4.7L

It is unbelievable to think that the tie rod ends are unavailable for an 04 vehicle. My parts have been on order for over 6 weeks at the local dealership and they are now telling me that they cannot get them. They said that the rod ends need to be upgraded to the 05 model which requires me to replace the steering rack which is not even bad. I took it to a friend I know and confirmed the same thing the dealership told me. Totally unacceptable anf I will be calling the customer service at Dodge to complain.

- , Middleton, Wisconsin, USA