Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Oct 312015

Opened the drivers door after a storm and observed standing water in the drivers side floorboard. Tried to start but the battery was dead. (daily driver w battery @ 1yr old). Placed battery on a charger and was able to start motor. Engine was reving between idle and 1500 RPM rapidly and would not respond to throttle inputs. Instrument cluster lights all on and navigation display was on but not legible. Looked for the source of the water, and it appears to be coming from around the drivers side front pillar area and leaking down the inside kick panel.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jul 272015

When fueling my Durango approaching the 90% capacity, gas gushes out of the fuel tank causing fuel spray also additional rust damage on my fender under the fuel door.

- Niantic, CT, USA

Feb 202014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When you go to put gas in it the gas wont shut off and I have an inside light that says gas cap even though we have replaced the gas cap and I have rust where the gas has run down the car. Im also having trouble with my gauges in the vehicle and it takes spells that it doesn't want to take gas.

- Prestonsburg, KY, USA

Jan 132013

Purchased 2005 Dodge Durango in December 2005 brand new. Had several issues with gas overflowing when filling up vehicle. My vehicle was part of the recall and problem was fixed, but damage was already starting to affect paint on the vehicle right below where you fill the gas tank. The rust just started being more visible than it had been over the last several months. It seems like when it rains the rust is getting worse. Since this problem started occurring, I have noticed several Dodge Durango vehicles with this same problem. It seems like it should have been a recall to fix the paint on the driver side right below where you fill the gas tank, since the overflowing has caused this problem. It is the only spot on the vehicle rusting.

- Latonia, KY, USA

Apr 162012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I just purchased this vehicle used from a certified Chrysler dealership. Before finalizing purchase, the dealership filled the gas tank for us. The sales manager noted that he needed to clean up the side of the vehicle--that the gas pump had overflowed. 2 days later when I went to fill up the tank, I had the same issue--the gas tank overflowed. I have looked this issue up online and it seems there was a recall for only a select set of VIN numbers. According to Chrysler, my vehicle was not a part of the recall. Clearly, my vehicle should have been included. It appears the fix to this issue is to replace the gas tank. Also, it is now clear to me that the 2 small rust bubbles near the gas tank are being caused by gas overflowing every time somebody fills up the vehicle. This is a safety issue and should be fixed by the Chrysler corporation.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Jul 242011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

We recently purchase a 2005 Dodge Durango V-8 hemi. Within 2 weeks of having it I noticed there was a considerable amount of noise coming from the driver's side door. It sounds as the door isn't closed all the way, but when I goto to re- shut it to make sure it is closed, it still sounds like it is open. Then my 2 year old son had rolled his window down the same time I had and my driver's side door began to shake violently. I literally thought the door would fly off and smack into a another car/ bicyclist on the highway while I was driving! this is a major defect that needs to be corrected right away! from reading other reviews online of the exact same thing happening, it is obvious it is a problem with a lot of these vehicles and I can only hope that Dodge will take it upon themselves to resolve this matter! I am so upset about this situation, I have an infant son and a 2 year old and the thought of being in a wreck or hurting someone else is mind boggling and I cannot understand why if so many people have already complained about this, why it has not been fixed. I hope that Dodge doesn't see this as a minor defect and fixes it before someone gets killed!

- Neotsu, OR, USA