CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

May 052014

Durango 8-cyl

Was driving along and the "4lo" light had been flashing on and off intermittently for about 3 weeks. Occasionally the "svc AWD" light would flash afterwards. When the latter happened, the car would lock into 4 wheel drive from AWD. But when the crash happened, the transfer case actually shifted into 4lo and the rear wheels locked up and the car spun sideways and stopped quick enough to avoid any damage or injury. No one at Dodge can explain this, or fix it.

- Cary, IL, USA

May 052014

Durango 8-cyl

While. I'm driving my SUV lock up the 4 wheel light come on out of no where and then 4 low light come on I have been smelling a burning smell and don't know where it's coming from everyone whom look at it don't know what's wrong. All I know is yesterday I was on the highway and the same thing happen again with no warning even when I lock my car door I hear this funny noise.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Jul 012014

Durango 6-cyl

Svc light comes on and if engaged in 4 wheel drive! the passenger air bag light goes on and off. Sometimes all electrical goes hay wire...svc, radio, cd player and air bag light.

- Warren, MI, USA

Sep 132013

Durango 8-cyl

My Durango shift into 4 wheel hi and 4 wheel lo by itself while driving and while sitting. This cause my truck while driving to jerk and it locks the wheels up. This situation causes difficulty to turn also.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jul 112014

Durango 8-cyl

Summary: When I parked and exited/locked my 2005 Dodge Durango, I could hear the transfer case switching all on its own. On my way home the svc 4WD light lit and then 4lo began flashing. We left on vacation and when I came home and backed the car out there was a loud noise and it is undriveable. I have read many reports of other ownwer's vehicles doing the same thing on years 2004 & 2005 with the hemi motor and the dealers not knowing what is going on and charging several expensive repairs for different findings not always fixing the problem.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

May 282014

Durango 8-cyl

The power train or something starts to change gears when you unlock the doors. The car is not even running and it starts shifting. Sometimes it locks itself into 4 wheel drive, when you are going down the street.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 142014

Durango 8-cyl

My Durango is one of hundreds possibly thousands of vehicles that has the transfer case mysteriously shifting on its own. It can be triggered by the unlock button, even the dome light. The transfer case is now shifting all the time in and out of position both when the vehicle is under operation and parked. The is dangerous and Dodge claims to know nothing. I spent 10 minutes and found hundreds of Chrysler vehicles with the same symptoms and no definitive answers. (google Dodge Durango svc 4WD light) please help.

- New Brighton, PA, USA

Jun 232014

Durango 8-cyl

As I approached my vehicle and used the remote to open the doors, I heard a noise under the vehicle like gears were shifting on their own without the vehicle even running. I started the vehicle and started driving. When I went into a parking lot and turned left to park, it was like someone was putting on the brakes making it difficult for me to turn and to accelerate--felt like I was in 4WD despite not shifting to 4WD from AWD. I nearly hit the car next to mine because I had to accelerate so hard to get into the spot without getting hit from the rear. I turned the car off and let it sit for 1/2 hour and restarted it and drove home. When I let the car sit in the garage, I was in the garage and heard gears shifting on their own while the vehicle was not running. This has already happened 3 times and it is quite scary! if I try to turn left and this happens on the road, I could get into a serious accident.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Jun 212014

Durango

Vehicle will illuminate "svc AWD" and the vehicle will automatically switch vehicle into different gears while driving on its on. One day the vehicle switched to 4lo while in drive, not changes were made. Another time while vehicle was parked, no key in the ignition, when hit the unlock button on the key you can hear the vehicle switching gears on its again! while making a sharp turn to park the vehicle switched into neutral on its on and was unable to drive or reverse. I put the vehicle in park waited a fe seconds restarted it and parked and the svc AWD light was still on. I have had the ignition switch replaced, along with the transmission and transfer case all within the first 6 months of 2014. The svc AWD light comes on and off on it own randomly. I am not sure what the issue is and neither does the dealer. I had the ignition switch changed at a palmer Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership and the svc AWD light is still on the vehicle continues to switch gears on its own.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Oct 022013

Durango

My car started having problems with the 4 wheel drive. It would start jerking at slow speed whole turning (usually while parking). Shortly after that the 4lo light started flashing. The car would also make a sound while parked like something was trying to switch on, this would happen usually after using the keyless entry remote. I've done quite a bit of research and this seems to be a problem a lot of Dodge Durango owners have. I have since had the 4WD disconnected and have not had the problem but that's not a permanent fix.

- Lodi, CA, USA

May 142014

Durango

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango 4X4 that is suddenly kicking in on its own, vehicle parked key out still clicking and turning on and off. So the service 4 wheel drive came on as I was driving, then the vehicle switched in to 4 wheel drive and stuck. We towed this vehicle home then took to the transmission shop where are vehicle still sits 5 days later, can not find the issue, also when you click the alarm unlock and lock you can hear the transfer case engaging and disengaging, we have read lots of peoples reports of their vehicle doing the same thing on years 2004 & 2005 with the hemi motor, please if anyone finds out what is going on with theirs or if find any other suggestions then please write a post about it, , I think our next step is to go to Dodge and make them take this pos back.... or fix....

- Antelope, CA, USA

Mar 122014

Durango 8-cyl

The four wheel drive will engage and disengage with engine off and key out and will also engage while driving.

- Trinity, TX, USA

Apr 032014

Durango 8-cyl

I was driving my 2005 Dodge Durango home on the freeway going 55 mph getting off on the off ramp the transfer case shifted into 4 low which in turn locked my wheels up (top speed in 4 low is about 30 mph), this nearly caused me to roll the vehicle. When I got off the off ramp the service 4X4 light was on then went off, went 2 more blocks came back on and shifted into 4 hi. The transfer case does shift on its own even while I am not in the vehicle with my key in my hand. I have read more complaints about this transfer case issue than I can count, it is not only the 2005 models doing this it has been happening well into the first generation Durango. Something has to be done about this before some one is seriously injured or killed. I was lucky this time I am afraid to take my wife and kids with me any where in it due to this problem. Please do something about this before some one is injured or killed.

- Grants Pass, OR, USA

Mar 252014

Durango

I was on my home from work going about 40mph. I got to a redlight before I stopped the SUV jerked. And when I press the gas peddle to go, the SUV would not move. I then tried to put it in another gear it was on but it still would not move. The police officer that pushed it out of the street said that it was the transmission. Also you can just be driving the SUV would just stop. This is very dangerous, and can cause accidents. On one occasion I had to nearly run off of the road to keep from having and accident. I think that Chrysler llc should replace my 2005 Dodge Durango. Being that I'm a single grandparent and now I have no transportation. So I can't get to work to provide for my granddaughter.

- Dania Beach, FL, USA

Mar 122014

Durango

Vehicle switches in & out of 4WD on its own while driving, or puts itself into neutral on the 4WD, also hear something engaging when unlocking doors with remote when parked or remote won't work at all to unlock doors. Mechanic found lots of other mechanics working on same issue on a forum he subscribes too and I found tons of Durango & some pickup owners complaining of and trying to get the same issue fixed. I have had several other minor electrical issues in my Durango for the past two years so I am convinced this is an electrical issue.

- Berthoud, CO, USA

Dec 202013

Durango 8-cyl

Driving down the highway and the 4X4 engages without warning. The vehicle begins to jump every 1/4 mile or so, slowed speeds to 25, continued to jump until I pulled to a complete stop and parked. Problem continued to occur every time I drove even if I never went any faster than 25mph. I took the vehicle to where I had a warranty and after them keeping my Durango for over a month and a half they said there were metal shavings in compartment for the transfer case and the transfer case was replaced under the warranty, however there is a transfer case shift motor that is not covered because they say it is outside of the transfer case. They said even if I pay the hundreds of dollars to replace this part, the problem will continue to happen. I want the problem fixed and I would like to be reimbursed because I've seen thousands of people complaining of this problem all over the internet. I refuse to pay for something Dodge should be responsible for because it is a defect of their vehicle.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Mar 152012

Durango

4X4 locks up when turning end result broke my transfer case.

- Hobbs, NM, USA

Dec 172012

Durango

At various times for no particular reason, the vehicle switches in and out of 4-wheel high and low. The issue began with it off, there was a audible mechanical shifting coming from what appeared to be the transfer case. After that the issue began getting worse and worse, several mechanics have looked at it and were unable to identify what the issue was. Recently, the vehicle has begun shifting into neutral at 45 mph+, at that point a loud metal grinding sound begins and does not stop until the vehicle is slowed to < 25 mph when the vehicle slams into gear, which is usually 4 wheel low. The vehicle will no longer shift into any chosen mode, it chooses its own mode at random. At times if the vehicle is stuck in 4 wheel low putting it into neutral and then into reverse can help to switch the vehicle back into AWD or at lease 4 wheel high.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Dec 052013

Durango 8-cyl

First sign of problem, when pulling into driveway or parking spot doing either a left or right hand turn, my 2005 Dodge Durango would not turn even after applying more gas than usual, my truck actually stopped as if the brakes were engaged. Then, while driving I noticed my 4lo light coming on intermittently, also when I either lock or unlock my truck with the remote I hear a clicking sound underneath the truck like something is engaging. You can also hear this switch sound under the car even when the car is off. Seems like the transfer case motor is switching on its own regardless of the vehicle being on or off. Also some sort of electrical problems when it rains...

- Roseville, MI, USA

Dec 032013

Durango

2005 Durango has been stalling at various times for the past 3 weeks. The whole car turns off. Lights....everything. Mechanic, transmission specialist and Chrysler dealership have no idea why. It has only happened at low speeds either going in reverse or going forward. It usually happens when you start driving the car but it has happened after driving it for a little while. It can also go for days without happening. The only code is a the number 6 cylinder misfire but everyone agrees that one cylinder misfiring would not result in the car going dead. The throttle body has been serviced and software has been updated and it continues to stall. We have spent $600 on repairs and car rentals and I still have no car. Chrysler dealer has had the car for almost two weeks.

- Lansdale , PA, USA