Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Sep 012011

2005 Durango 4.7 V8 hemi my vehicle randomly shuts down on its own, locking the steering column, when slowing down and turning at the same time as when coasting into a parking space or coming to a stop. Also, on some of these occasions, all interior electrical components seem to go out, inst panel, radio, fan/blower, etc. Brought in multiple times for inspection, they say they find nothing. In last 6 months, 4WD light blinks as if its changing from AWD to 4WD on its own, sometimes can hear it engaging under car when using key fob locking or unlocking, and when turning into a parking spot it feels like it changed to 4lo as its almost skipping/hopping like trying to take a turn with 4WD and rpms go way up like I'm in a low gear. Many, many of the same complaints on Dodge forums with many people just throwing money at it and having multiple things replaced etc, just to find out its not fixed. Needs to be recalled soon.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Sep 202013

I was pulling into a parking space and the car started skipping and jumping, vehicle was hard to steer and it also hesitated to go, turning was very difficult. The 4 lock light was flashing on all by itself and the knob has been on AWD I only rarely switch the vehicle to 4 lock in the winter time. This makes about a dozen times it has happened to this vehicle. Twice in one day is very scary. I am very afraid of what might happen if I am going a higher speed at the time it decides to mess up. I have talked to a mechanic and he has never heard of the issue but says it could be very dangerous if it would happen while driving a higher rate of speed. I have search on line by typing '05 Dodge Durango 4 lock by itself' and there are a lot of people having the same issue. Also with no luck figuring the problem, one person had replaced the transfer case 3 times and it was only a temporary fix.

- Summersville, WV, USA

Sep 042013

Durango 8-cyl

While operating the vehicle the service 4WD light came on. At some point after that the transfer case shifted into 4hi lock.I scanned the obdii and had no codes present. Also scanned the 4WD selector switch and it showed the switch was operational, but the transfer case shift motor was not shifting. Dropped the vehicle off at an independent transmission shop one week later and it sat for a few hours and when they went to road test it no warning lights and it was now in AWD. Again the repair shop did an obd scan and came up with no codes.if these vehicles were to shift into four wheel drive (low or high range ) at highway speeds of 65 mph I feel major driveline damage and or failure will result, which could lead to serious injury or death.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Aug 212013

2005 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi stalls upon acceleration. During acceleration in the forward direction the vehicle will lose all electrical function and shut down the engine causing the motorist to be stranded in the middle of an intersection or other dangerous section of roadway. Loss of electrical function can be attributed to the close proximity of the positive battery cable to the egr pipe on the right side of the engine. During acceleration the engine will torque over causing the egr pipe to make contact with the battery cable thus causing the plastic sheathing to become chafed. Over time this chafing will wear through the plastic sheathing and expose the bare copper wire allowing it to come in contact with the metal egr pipe. The contact of the copper wire from the positive battery cable to the metal egr pipe creates a direct short which in turn shuts down the electrical system and any engine control functions. In some instances this short can cause the battery cable to heat up enough to catch the plastic insulation on fire and possibly lead to battery explosion.

- Glen Mills, PA, USA

Feb 192013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls at low speeds and deceleration, idling hard at a stop and while in park, will stall when idling hard, gas spills out of inlet when filling up completely, sluggish in temperatures below 30 degrees and above 80 degrees, requires more than normal maintenance, service tech's can never diagnose the causes of stalling or idling issues, think it might concern the throttle body, transmission has torqued itself out before, stripped screws, rebuilt at 90000 miles. Just waiting for it to go again. This vehicle has been nothing but issues ever since I bought it used. Every fix just feels like a band aid to the manufacturing problems it has.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Feb 132013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle stalls while making turning maneuvers at low speeds which disables the power steering and brakes. This has occurred on numerous occasions but the dealer is unable to duplicate the problem and has not been able to correct this issue. This has always occur during decelerations, such as braking for a stop sign or traffic signal. When it happen I must immediately put the vehicle in park and restart it, but luckily this has not let to an accident yet.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Jan 292013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving down the road then came to my neighborhood --- the road was clear but the turn light up ahead had just changed --- so I had time to make my turn into my neighborhood but when I attempted to turn the vehicle just shut off the -- there were two oncoming cars the one in lead began blowing but the car could not be steered or anything. Luckily the cars had time to stop --- so, I quickly put the vehicle in park and attempted to restart the vehicle. Thankfully it started and I was able to continue to pull into my neighborhood. My 10-year old daughter was in the front passenger side and began to scream when she heard the horns blowing --- this could have been tragic---what is the problem and why are these vehicles still able to be sold. I just purchased this vehicle on Saturday. Then while in my neighborhood I called a friend we test drove the vehicle -- the haul/tow light was on then off -- the right rear light was off the on the way back to be park it came on again-- the passenger air bag light was on then a few minutes later it was off. In addition the vehicle shut off again twice while turning the corner onto another street in the neighborhood.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jan 272013

Durango 8-cyl

I was riding down the road and my lighting system on my car begin to dim and the my speedometer begin to drop down and the car begin to slow down loss power to the car the car shut off. I was so scare at this point. I do not want to drive my 2005 Dodge Durango please help me with this matter.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Jan 062013

There is a problem with my car switching into 4lo. When I unlock my car it makes a clicking noise under the car like it is switching from AWD to 4lo. Also, my 4lo light flashes on my dash and it sounds like it is trying to switch even though it is left in AWD.

- Everett, WA, USA

Aug 012012

The vehicle shuts off while going down the road with no knowledge of it going to occur. It gets a 5V reference light and has to be put into neutral and restarted or if you able to pull over to shut it off. This has happened 100 plus times since August 2012, several times almost getting rear ended. I have had it at Dodge so many times and have put thousands into it and still nothing.

- Mcconnelsville, OH, USA

Sep 152012

The vehicle will automatically engage itself into 4-wheel drive mode. The incidents usually happen at low speeds. Although, the incident can, has, and will happen at higher speeds. When it occurs at low speeds, the vehicle will accelerate slowly and refuse to turn. When the incident happens at higher speeds, the vehicle will seemingly lock the tires and if not handled correctly the driver can lose complete control of the SUV. This particular defect seems to be a common issue among Dodge Durango 2nd generation owners. Many say the Dodge dealerships are skeptical on what exact repair is necessary to fix the apparent safety issue. Durango owners experiences with technicians show many times they reportedly point the finger at various high dollar repairs. Some have had success with replacing the transfer case motor but some who have pursued this repair have again reported the same issue after the repair was completed. Originally, the safety concern was extremely rare. Recently, the problem has become more consistent. It is a definite safety hazard as it can cause complete loss of control of the large vehicle.

- Madison, AL, USA

Feb 152012

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact disconnected and reconnected the battery in order to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostics but the mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Miami , FL, USA

Aug 142007

Bought car in 2007 had to replace one key because of electronics at 180 dollars each, 2009 changed car battery had to reset keys at 80 dollars, 2011 keys need replaced again at 130 dollars each. Bad design so they can keep fleasing you for money. Also had fuel tank replaced, brake lines rubbed together causing hole in line and loss of brakes, dust cover on drivers seat belt broke off, screws in back tail gate keep loosening and falling out.

- Dacono, CO, USA

Jan 042012

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph, when smoke emitted from the vents, dashboard and from under the hood of the vehicle. In addition, the seat belt sensor alarm sounded and the brake and oil warning lights were illuminated. The dealer and the manufacturer were notified of the failure, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 96,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 012011

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall intermittently while driving at various speeds. When the vehicle stalled, the interior lights and windshield wipers would fail if in use. However, the radio continued to operate as normal. In addition, when the contact attempted to refuel the vehicle, gasoline would spew back out and onto the ground. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 63,628 and the failure mileage was 48,000.

- Barlington, NC, USA

Nov 172011

Durango 8-cyl

On Nov 11, I used my 2005 Durango ltd, 5.7 hemi for errands. It is very lightly used. I parked it in my driveway and on Nov 17 I went to load it for a trip. I found it filled with an acrid smoke. I air'd it out and began looking for the cause of the smell and smoke. The next morning we found that the main wiring block located in the drivers side kick panel had melted down, very many wires had melted and the cover had melted to the panel and carpet. I called Dodge that day, they said they would have the case mgr call me by the next evening. But of course that was actually business days so Monday evening they called me to verify my address? I asked if this was the case mgr and she said yes and was calling to verify my address. Of course I told her we gave the address on Friday and it is the same as when I bought the vehicle and on all of my records. She said she would have an inspector call me. He called on the 23rd and inspected it on Saturday 11/26/2011. He took alot of pictures and said would file the report the next week but had no control when Dodge would call me back or if Dodge would do anything about it. This vehicle is in excellent condition, with low miles and a documented service history. When I first bought it was held at the first dealer I brought it to due to the check valve recall. It is in the gas tank and was malfunctioning and causing gas to fly back out when filling the tank. It has been doing it again lately for about the last month. The inspector said that a recall had been performed on the dash panel which had caused fires. I told him I had no knowledge of ever getting that work done, unless it was before I bought it or they did not tell me of the repair when it was done. He said good I had all of the windows shut or it may have ignited (and burned my house down with us in it). Now I have a $35000 6 yr old, great looking boat anchor!

- Saint Rose, LA, USA

Nov 172011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The multi function switch in the steering column fails and causes the wrong turn indicator lights (both on the dash and on the exterior) to activate. For example, when pushing down on the stalk to indicate a left turn the right turn lights are activated. So, if you are in a left turn lane and you try to indicate that you are turning left the right indicator lights will activate and confuse the other drivers and could cause a very dangerous situation.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 092011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Driving in my neighborhood at 35 mph and the engine turned off completely! I coasted to a full stop, turned off the ignition...waited 10 seconds and then turned the ignition back on and drove off. Vehicle also feels very sluggish especially driving over 55 mph. You must really push the pedal down to accelerate. Engine shutting off is soooo dangerous. God for bid this will happen when im driving with my children in the car while on the freeway!!!

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Nov 012010

First, the cruise control stopped working. Then, the speedometer and odometer quit working when the ABS, parking brake, check engine, and traction control lights all came on. Took it to the dealer to repair the instrument cluster recall, and was told that it needs a new ABS control module and wiring harness. The wiring harness is completely melted, probably because of a short in the control module - at least that's what I was told at the dealership. The wiring harness is on a national backorder until late September, so I am without ABS brakes, traction control, and a speedometer/odometer until then.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

May 022011

Car shuts off without warning, loosing power steering and braking.

- Altoona, PA, USA