CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Oct 142016

Durango

Tire pressure light will not go off, after tires have been aired and checked by tire place.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 302016

Durango

Seat belt is locked but light comes on as if it was not on. I have to undo, and reapply for light to go off. Radio will not work at times. Radio repair guy said I needed a new amplifier. One day it just starts playing, but when I stopped to get gas, the car would not start. After battery was replaced, the cargo lamp stays on if I open my rear hatch. Will only go off if I closed it twice.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 122016

Durango

This vehicle routinely stalls and shuts off while drive, decelaration, coasting, and also while at a complete stop. I have already had one accident due to this issue and has become increasingly dangerous to drive.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 042016

Durango

When in motion, vehicle's RPM will drop to 0 (randomly, no way to tell when coming), along with a loss of power steering and various electronics within the vehicle. Problem is usually fixed by restarting vehicle, but it has been very dangerous - especially on the highway. Has happened at least 5 times during my ownership of the vehicle (4 years)

- Belvidere, IL, USA

Mar 282016

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the interior lights remained illuminated and would not shut off. The contact stated that a day later the vehicles instrument panel failed. The contact also mentioned an odor of burning wires was present in the cabin of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 07V092000 (electrical system) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown due to the instrument panel failure.

- Camden, SC, USA

Mar 252016

Durango

Interior lights won't go off. Smell burning wires inside the vehicle.

- Camden, SC, USA

Nov 012015

Durango

In my 05 Durango, the 4WD keeps clicking on and off randomly. I could be driving down the highway or just turned the car off. The engine has not been able to go in drive, reverse, etc. I had a mechanic look at the transmission, spending a ton of unnecessary money when the whole time the 4WD has been stuck in neutral. Dodge knows about the problem, why isn't there a recall" apparently the switching into 4lo at high speeds can cause serious damages -- even death to me or my children or other innocent people on the highway. What am I supposed to do???"

- Villa Ridge, MO, USA

Jan 302016

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While attempting to start the vehicle, the ignition failed without warning. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the tipm failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact replaced several parts to repair the failure prior to the current diagnostic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Ferguson, MO, USA

Oct 122015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving various speeds, the vehicle goes into wheel high mode svc 4WD. The rear end was in low gear, but the front gear was high. The vehicle shifted into either gear randomly and caused the vehicle to hop. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure occurred intermittently. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 195,000.

- Jerseyville, IL, USA

Oct 202009

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated the vehicle stalled, while driving at lower speeds. In addition, the failure occurred while driving over rough road conditions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 052015

Durango

The car sv 4D light comes on. And when driving the car shifts into 4WD which causes the car to stall and almost caused me my life and family life on the highway.

- Il, IL, USA

Dec 112015

Durango

I am experiencing the same exact issues with my 2005 Dodge Durango as other posts. The 4lo and svc 4WD warning lights on the instrument panel periodically flash on and off, and frequently when I slow down to pull into a parking spot or driveway I hear a clunking sound and the transmission actually shifts on its own into 4 wheel drive. The wheels will lock and when I accelerate it actually jerks the car and drags the tires. Recently I heard a loud thump as if something broke and it shifted into 4WD on its own. In addition, when I shut the car off it will occasionally start clicking as if its locking and unlocking the car doors. This will continue for 10-15 seconds before stopping. I have had the vehicle into the local Dodge dealer numerous times for service but they claim to have not heard of the problem before and seem baffled as to what's causing it. Clearly this is not an isolated incident because of the hundreds of reports Iżve seen from people experiencing the same issues. After waiting 6 weeks for an aftermarket instrument panel the dealer replaced it, but that made absolutely no difference and I am still experiencing the same exact issues as before.

- Stillwater, MN, USA

Dec 082015

Durango

Vehicle keep trying to shift into 4 wheel drive mode by itself while parked, driving and when vehicle is turned off

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Nov 162015

Durango

When filling the gas tank, a large amount of fuel always shoots out of the filler neck and spills onto vehicle, ground, and objects around vehicle. Also the vehicle does not come with TPMS, however the TPMS warning light on the instrument panel stays on all the time. Also if the rear lift gate is opened the cargo light indicator on the instrument panel stays on until you open and close the lift gate a total of two times.

- Branson, MO, USA

Oct 312015

Durango

Opened the drivers door after a storm and observed standing water in the drivers side floorboard. Tried to start but the battery was dead. (daily driver w battery @ 1yr old). Placed battery on a charger and was able to start motor. Engine was reving between idle and 1500 RPM rapidly and would not respond to throttle inputs. Instrument cluster lights all on and navigation display was on but not legible. Looked for the source of the water, and it appears to be coming from around the drivers side front pillar area and leaking down the inside kick panel.

- Humble, TX, USA

Feb 052015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled several times without warning. The contact had to make several attempts to get the vehicle to restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the ignition switch, but the failure continued. The contact stated that the vehicle continued to hesitate and stall randomly. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Aug 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was parked, the interior lights illuminated continuously. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 07V092000 (electrical system), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the lights remained illuminated after the recall repair was performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 145,000.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Oct 132015

Durango

About six months ago 4lo light started flashing then when I shut the car off I can hear shifting into and out of 4WD. Had it checked for codes and they found none. Now as I was driving it locked into 4lo vehicle made a popping sound and stalled.right in the middle of a busy intersection. I was able to start it back up but now I can't drive this car due to fear of it doing this again.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Feb 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact had not experienced an air bag failure.

- Summerton, SC, USA

Aug 262015

Durango

My car repeatedly cuts off while I am driving. I noticed that other people have the same issue with the same model as I have which a 2005 Dodge Durango. I did my research and it was identified by Dodge as a low maneuver issue. One incident that happens a few days ago was that my vehicle shut off on a curve while merging on the highway. I am very luck that it was a car behind me and they were not going fast. My car shut off and I lose control of the steering because of the loss of power. I have to put the car in park and then try to start the vehicle. I would like this issue addressed I have complained about this since 2006.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA