CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 152014

Durango

Vehicle stalled while driving, completely froze up. Was unable to use brakes, steering wheel was also affected. Was very scary as we were driving in traffic. This has happened on more than one occasion while driving and also when backing out of driveway.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Sep 082014

Durango

I was circling to the left around a build to park and doing about 5 mph when the engine stalled. It restarted immediately but stalled again as I turned right into a parking spot. Another stall happened in the afternoon as I was attempting to park straight into a parking spot. A fourth stall happened while I was stopped at a red light. With the fourth stall, I noticed that the tachometer suddenly dropped from about 700 RPM (where it usually idles) to about 300 RPM, hovered there for a moment and then stalled.

- Decatur, AL, USA

Aug 162014

Durango 8-cyl

Engine will without warning lurch forward. It will also completely shut down making steering and braking extremely difficult. This vehicle had no codes showing and repair shop can't replicate the problem this lurching of the vehicle has occurred almost daily. And has completely shut down twice. I drive with two kids in the car and this is extremely dangerous. Their are several complaints with the exact same problem.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Jun 042012

Durango 8-cyl

When I'm driving in traffic (approx 30-45 mph) or stopped at a light, my vehicle randomly shuts off. There's no indication this will happen. No lights flash or anything. The truck simply stops. I take it to mechanics and they say they can't identify the problem--but they recognize there's a problem. I'm fearful for the safety of my family in the vehicle and/or anyone we encounter when this happens. It's nearly impossible to steer the vehicle out of traffic, and the steering locks up as well. I've had the cooling system flushed, transmission replaced to no avail. Is there a recall on this thing?! there sure should be! I'm sure someone has died by now due to this malfunction.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jul 042014

Durango

While I'm driving down the road it could be the interstate or in town, doing 30 to 55 miles per hour depending on where I am, my husband's engine light will turn on in his 2005 Dodge Durango after the wheel begins stiffening and my lights all shut off and I am costing into opposing traffic lane or in the middle of traffic with my 4 children and myself, sometimes it is just me and once it was with my husband and children. The engine light will stay solid and all of this happens after when SUV will cut off with no warning, instantly my steering wheel gets stiff and I cannot turn, my lights go off and the radio and headlights shut off. I have no control over the vehicle at the time. This us happening more and more. This also has happened when I am coming to a stoplight or a stop sign other times when I'm coming out of a stop and the SUV is still running at that time. Very unpredictable and dangerous. No warnings, he has had the SUV 1 year.

- Township Of Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Jun 092014

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle misfires during acceleration. Almost caused vehicle to be rear ended pulling out into traffic. After having it looked at by the dealer, found out I am not the only one with the problem. It stems from a design defect in the rain cowl that allows water to pass through the windshield wiper opening where it runs onto the engine and pools in the spark plug holes, causing a short. Chrysler redesigned the cowl to correct the problem but did not notify owners or recall the vehicles to fix the issue.

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

May 252014

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the oil and engine warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that an abnormal noise emitted from the engine. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 156,800.

- Citus Height , CA, USA

Mar 102010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

During March 2014, I was driving my 2005 Dodge Durango on the highway. At approximately 50 mph, the engine shut off while in drive. I had no control of the vehicle. The steering wheel locked. I put the gear shift into neutral and turned the ignition switch back on. I was able to restart the vehicle. This was the third incident. Prior to this third incident, I took the vehicle to two separate dealers and they could not find the problem. They told me that they could not diagnose the problem.

Dec 112013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Between the end of November 2013 and the middle of December 2013, I was driving on the highway and had to slow down as I approached the toll booth. As I slowed down to approximately 35 mph, the engine shut down and the steering wheel locked. I had no control of the vehicle. I put the gear shift into neutral as I rolled along and turned on the ignition to restart the engine. This was the second time this incident occurred within 2-3 weeks.

Nov 052013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

During November 2013, I drove my vehicle approximately 3 miles from my house to my friends house. I slowed down to approximately 10 miles per hour as I approached my friend's house and the engine shut down with the gear shift in drive. The steering wheel locked. I had no control of the vehicle. I put the gear shift in neutral and turned on the ignition to get the engine started again.

Apr 232014

Durango 8-cyl

I was driving on 65 hwy North in Missouri and for no apparent reason the Durango stalled and I lost all power mechanical and electrical I could not steer or brake it was all I could do to maintain my lane I had just recently had an oil change and still had about 1000 more miles before I needed a new change it was a scary experience I could not restart the vehicle in neutral I finally got pulled over to the side of the road and got it restarted had to drive back home under 25 miles per hour or it would stall again it was very unsafe and endangered me my wife and my 3 children.

- Warsaw, MO, USA

Apr 042014

Durango 8-cyl

Just purchased my 2005 Durango 5.7 hemi limited used at the end of 2013. Have had it for less than 6 months. After having it for a month the check engine light came on. The next day my Durango stalled while I was driving at around 40-45 miles an hour in downtown san diego!! I put it in neutral and it started right back up. I thought it was just bad gas because the check engine light went off. But in the last few weeks it has done the same thing about 10 times. My friend hooked it up to his code reader and it said my egr valve needs replaced. But now I'm seeing all of these complaints on here about the same issues and I'm quite worried. I am also having a problem with the fuel tank. I can't fill up my tank or the gasoline shoots out everywhere!! I noticed there is no metal piece that closes off when you pull the nozzle out. Also my in dash navigational system/cd player/radio quit working. Screen on in dash console is just lines. Now my blue tooth in the rear view mirror only works intermittently. Have to close the rear hatch twice for cargo light warning on dash to go out. Charger port in front panel stopped working on the second day I owned it. Seems as if there are some major electrical issues here!! I owned a Dodge Dakota years ago and never had any problems with it!! I'm really surprised at the fact that Dodge is not taking care of these issues. I will be contacting a dealer for the recall issues and will let you know how that goes, especially since I've read more than one complaint on here that the dealerships aren't honoring the recalls. Ridiculous!!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 172014

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normally. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis however, a trouble code was not detected and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 252014

Durango

I was on my home from work going about 40mph. I got to a redlight before I stopped the SUV jerked. And when I press the gas peddle to go, the SUV would not move. I then tried to put it in another gear it was on but it still would not move. The police officer that pushed it out of the street said that it was the transmission. Also you can just be driving the SUV would just stop. This is very dangerous, and can cause accidents. On one occasion I had to nearly run off of the road to keep from having and accident. I think that Chrysler llc should replace my 2005 Dodge Durango. Being that I'm a single grandparent and now I have no transportation. So I can't get to work to provide for my granddaughter.

- Dania Beach, FL, USA

Apr 012014

Durango 8-cyl

I have owned my 05 Durango since 07. My Durango has stalled now 4 times in 6 months. Once in a hospital parking lot going very slow. Next time while backing out of my driveway. About a month ago I turned into my neighborhood and made a slow left turn onto my street. It lost power halfway into the turn. No RPM's no speedo. No power steering no power brakes. I man handled the turn, flipped it in neutral. Turned the key off then on and I had my speedo back, and I continued to start it back up. I thought ok that was crazy weird. No check engine lights, no codes. I thought it was bad gas or fuel system clogged. I have since cleaned all they up and serviced the fuel system. Then yesterday it happened again in the same exact location doing the same exact low speed maneuver. This time I had my kids in the truck. What if I pulled across traffic to turn with no power and stalls. What if my wife was driving? I'm not sure she could remedy a situation like this.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jan 012013

Durango

Started car in the morning and it started to make engine noise. Took it to dealer. They said the rod bearing is bad. Have to replace engine.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Dec 032013

Durango

Engine stall without warning. Lost control of the steering and brake very hard to apply.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Nov 292013

Durango

Has occurred multiple times. Initially my 05 Durango would stall when pulling into parking spaces. Has progressed to normal driving conditions at around 35 mph while turning the engine will shut off. Occasionally the rpms will jump up and down too. Engine idles around 500rpm. When this first occurred there were no warning lights illuminated. I just don't feel like this is a safe vehicle at this point in time and based off of the other reports, Dodge should investigate and repair at no cost.

- Exeter, NH, USA

Nov 172013

Durango

While cruising a back road near home the Durango suddenly shut off leaving me no lower steering or brakes. It was terrifying. I was lucky to be only going approximately 25 mph as I was just cresting a hill. I was able to have enough momentum to guide the truck onto a side street. It restarted immediately upon putting it in park again. And I was able to drive it to my parents house without incident and then again back to my house later in the day. There was no warning lights that lit on the dash and no other indication that there was a. malfunction. The rpms were smooth, no rough engine. Terrified to drive this truck now.

- Clinton, CT, USA

Oct 122011

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was not notified manufacturer of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000 and the current mileage was 106,000.

- Kent, WA, USA