CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012016

Durango

When I unlock the doors with the remote or open unlocked doors, the shift motor activates, I can hear it engaging and disengaging. There is a delay upon starting my truck before the drive gear kick in and I can proceed to drive vehicle. When I make a sharp turn going forward or backing...the rear tires lock up. The AWD lights flickers on/off. Constant smell like something is burning.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 252016

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was being operated, the vsc sensor warning light illuminated and the power steering suddenly failed. The steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. In addition, the transmission switched to all wheel drive and the speed drastically reduced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 175,000.

- Ofallan, MO, USA

Mar 112016

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While reversing into a parking space and pulling forward to straighten the vehicle, it suddenly accelerated. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle failed to stop. The contact had to place the gear shifter in park in order for the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 172015

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

This has happened on multiple occasions!!!!! it happens at any speed, the truck will lose all power and shut off without warning. I can't steer or do anything but put the truck in park and restart the truck. I have taken it in the be looked at and nothing can be figured out as it does it randomly. I have four children and this last time we were turning and the truck just shut off while another vehicle was coming down the street. I have researched this and sees others are having the same issue. I have had some of the suggestions done such as replacing the egr valve and flushing the system. I need an answer as I do not feel safe!!!!!!!!!!

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 162015

Durango 8-cyl

My 2005 Dodge Durango will go into 4 wheel low with out warning and will shift into 4 wheel lock with out warning there is something goin on with the 2005 Dodge Durango I have read many forums with 500 people saying the same thing. Please make Dodge recall this as it is going to result in fatalities. A lot of people are changing the transfer case, transfer case motor and electrical and it keeps doing the same thing to make these vehicles unreliable and can cause death to my family and others as well please make Dodge recall the 4 wheel drive. Thank you

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 092010

Durango

Vehicle purchased used in June 2010. Within days of purchase, vehicle began stalling while pulling out into traffic. Vehicle was returned to the dealer several times. Egr valve was replaced and throttle service done, idler pulley replaced. Stalling problem continued to occur on and off along with hard shifting, hesitating, lack of power issues. Transmission rebuilt in Jan 2012 after it "froze" backing out of the driveway. Bell housing leak detected and fixed in June 2012. Stalling worsened, occurring not only from start up but while traveling straight in acceleration to speeds just above 40 mph. Revving in park, neutral and while stopped in traffic started in early 2013 and continues today. Have had vehicle in for service on numerous occasions with no fix to the problem. Torque converter clutch, water pump, fuel injector, coil, vacuum sensor, air intake sensor, knock sensor, PCV valve, plugs and wires have all been replaced or repaired but problems persist. This vehicle is a danger as it stalls without warning in heavy traffic and when pulling out into traffic and revs so high at stops that I have had to put both feet on the brake to prevent it from lurching into the vehicle in front of me.

- Utica, NY, USA

Oct 232014

Durango

Today my Durango lurched forward uncontrollably, hitting 3 cars in the parking lot at the elementary school where I work. My foot was not on the accelerator. There was no way I could have accelerated that quickly in 12-14 feet to cause that kind of damage. If there had been any children out there, they could have been killed! it was the most terrifying thing that ever happened to me. A recall needs to be issued immediately or someone will be hurt or killed.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Apr 162014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle switches to 4lock automatically while driving at high and low speeds. Vehicle becomes sluggish and makes it impossible to turn. At this point I fear for my life. After reading so many complaints of the same issue. I see I'm not alone.

- Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Jun 092014

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle misfires during acceleration. Almost caused vehicle to be rear ended pulling out into traffic. After having it looked at by the dealer, found out I am not the only one with the problem. It stems from a design defect in the rain cowl that allows water to pass through the windshield wiper opening where it runs onto the engine and pools in the spark plug holes, causing a short. Chrysler redesigned the cowl to correct the problem but did not notify owners or recall the vehicles to fix the issue.

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Apr 232014

Durango

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango limited 4X4 it constantly locks into 4lo and 4lock all on its own and engages on its own even with vehicle off most times locking in 4lo causing tires to stick and very difficult to drive or turn this happens at any rate of speed also when first starting truck and putting it in drive or reverse transmission is gives a loud air leaking noise and takes a long time to pick up and drive I have just recently bought this vehicle and have taken it back to the dealer multiple times to be told they are unsure what is causing the issue. I have done research and see that several Dodge Durango owners are having this issue please help.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Mar 192014

Durango 8-cyl

On 3/19/2014 I was driving in the middle lane of a very busy street called gratiot ave with heavy traffic and the engine just stopped. I could not accelerate and had just enough speed to slowly merge right and turn into a shopping mall off the street in order to miss oncoming traffic. My truck had completely stalled.

- Mt Clemens, MI, USA

Mar 042012

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while traveling at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted after being shifted into neutral and taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the throttle control sensor had failed. The contact personally repaired the vehicle. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Osceola, IN, USA

Sep 022013

Durango 8-cyl

2005 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi. While driving down the road the service 4WD warning light started blinking and the 4WD started to activate on its own. As the vehicle sits when activating the door locks with the remote the 4WD actuates on its own.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 022012

Durango

Vehicle stalls during at low speeds, often during parking lot or driveway maneuvers; - they occur during decelerations, such as braking for a stop sign or traffic signal. Happens multiple times without warning which has led to near accidents. Extremely dangerous. Surprised that there have been two investigations that have both been closed. There needs to be a recall asap.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 192013

Durango 8-cyl

I was reversing out of my garage, stopped and shifted into park to pull up a little and then was going to reverse again. While shifting into drive the car stuttered three times and accelerated forward at full speed crashing into my house and going right through my bathroom and laundry room. My daughter said she heard the screeching tires from inside the house. My friend and I were both injured in the incident as well as now having to repair my house.

- Naples, FL, USA

Mar 302013

Durango 8-cyl

While in AWD the vehicle switches to 4 lo by itself. This makes it hard to make turns, forward and reverse. The 4 lo light blinks and service 4 wd lights stays on. I do not manually switch out of AWD, as 4 wd is not needed. However, as I stated before, it switches on its own. On the date of the incident, the vehicle would not return to AWD from 4 lo. I was told to unhook the battery terminals and after I replace them back to the posts, it would reset the AWD. This did not work. My children and I were stuck on the side of the road until help arrived. I have researched this topic and read complaints from others with the same problems with the same vehicle. Many of them saying after paying out large amounts for parts and repairs the problem is still occurring. Many are not even sure where to start as far as repairs go. I would like some definate answers and diamlerchrysler to be held accountable. Thank you.

- Greenville , SC, USA

Dec 272012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The car begins to sputter and stall at constant speeds, then stalls while running which disables the power steering and brakes. This situation is profoundly dangerous as it renders the car nearly unable to stop. The only way you can stop is if you can get the car into neutral, coast off the road and quickly restart the engine. The engine light does come on during. I have gotten this issue repaired four times and it continues to occur and the sensors that correspond to the code have been replaced twice each and are in full working order. Dodge is aware of the issue but will not do anything.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Oct 102012

Durango

The car begins to sputter and stall at constant speeds, then stalls while running which disables the power steering and brakes. This situation is profoundly dangerous as it renders the car nearly unable to stop. The only way you can stop is if you can get the car into neutral, coast off the road and quickly restart the engine. The engine light does come on after the event. I have gotten this issue repaired four times and it continues to occur and the sensors that correspond to the code have been replaced twice each and are in full working order. Dodge is aware of the prevalence of this issue and is unwilling to cooperate because they have not made a recall as of yet.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Aug 022012

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that she pulled the vehicle over and restarted the vehicle and it functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the tps censor and the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 168,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 012010

Durango

First, the cruise control stopped working. Then, the speedometer and odometer quit working when the ABS, parking brake, check engine, and traction control lights all came on. Took it to the dealer to repair the instrument cluster recall, and was told that it needs a new ABS control module and wiring harness. The wiring harness is completely melted, probably because of a short in the control module - at least that's what I was told at the dealership. The wiring harness is on a national backorder until late September, so I am without ABS brakes, traction control, and a speedometer/odometer until then.

- St. Louis, MO, USA