Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Sep 102016

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango with the 5.7 hemi engine.. it has 80,000 miles and just recently the engine started shutting off at random times when driving, mostly when I hit a bump in the road.. I have researched this with the national highway safety board website and see there is a hundreds of complaints from feburary 2005 thru present.. there was an investigation opened in 2005 PE05-027 then it was transferred to an engineering analysis ( EA05-018) and then nothing.. I would like to know if the NHTSA dropped the ball on this?? there is no further answers to the complaint.. please advise me what do I have to do to get a N answer to this problem, which is a manufactures error that is going to get me killed or someone else.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Apr 172016

When I drive my 2005 Dodge Durango it will stall randomly and die. I lose power steering an it is very dangerous for me my wife an daughter. It happens when I'm at low speeds. Or come to a stop at idle. I need help with this issues. I noticed there are slot of similar complaints on this exact subject. Is there anything tha can be done to fix this issue?

- Cleveland, TX, USA

Apr 132016

My Durango has only 28,000 mi. Drove about 2 mi. For my pt and an hour later I could not get my Durango started after several attempts. Called a tow company and had my car towed to a licensed mechanic. After the vehicle sat for about 6 hours, the mechanic started the car and said he can not find anything wrong so take the car home. I went on line and found a website where people shared their experiences with their 2005 Durango and I am very, very afraid to drive my car now. They wrote that they have had experiences when the engine would stall while driving on the road. What is going on" no recall for this problem/phenomena"

- Wailuku, HI, USA

Apr 122016

My truck has 133000 miles and stalled again today while operating uphill at about 20mph. This is about the 20th time in last 5-7 years. Whats Dodge waiting for to fix this, blogs all over report same issue. Need a fix asap. Have owned car since new at 12 miles on odometer.

- Kent, WA, USA

Feb 242016

I was on my way home from work when I heard a loud clicking noise. I also noticed there are a lot of problems with this truck. I recently bought it and I looked online almost everything I saw was bad. These trucks need to be rebuilt or repair right.

- Newberry, SC, USA

Feb 012016

I recently purchased my 2005 Dodge Durango and when I fill vehicle full of fuel it always spills out it never shuts off. Fuel spills all over. I can not tell when it is about full and it should always detect when it is full and kick off but it just keeps going out on ground and all over until I can stop it. I noticed at one time there was a recall for this same issue on the 2005 Dodge Durango XLT and was afraid this vehicle did not get the recall fixed.

- Paris, AR, USA

Oct 132015

While driving at variable speeds my 2005 Dodge Durango slt 5.7L truck, without warning, will shut-off making it hard to stop & steer to safety. This has happened several times but the most recent & severe time was yesterday, I was at a speed of 55 mph on 695 when my Durango shut-off without warning. I was able to pull onto the shoulder without causing a accident. My Dodge was able to restart without warning lights flashing or indication but will randomly shut-off without warning at least 4-6 times a week while driving.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 202015

My Durango has started to switch to 4wheel drive on it's own while I'm driving and especially while turning. It makes steering and maneuvering the vehicle very difficult and nearly caused an accident in heavy traffic.

- Tualatin, OR, USA

Jul 012015

The vehicle has begun to switch itself into 4WD while driving at low speeds, usually during or shortly after an extended turn such as a ramp. No indicator lights come on but I believe based on the way it drives that it must be in 4lo. Once the vehicle is in 4WD it will not respond to the 4WD switch and so far it has taken turning the vehicle off to disengage the 4WD.the svc 4WD light has come on 3-4 times, but not in conjunction with the other issue, and not for more than 2 minutes at a time.

- West St Paul, MN, USA

May 222015

I have not had a accident thank god. I brought my 2005 Dodge Durango february2, 2015. Make a long story short with in the past 2 month I have had to have my tank dropped 3 times now I have to have it dropped again so this will be the forth time &my truck wil not start &the pump is not coming on. I got a letter about the airbags recalls, my question is have it ever been a recall on the computer or the electrical system for this SUV? I think my whole fuel system is messed up cause when I go to fill it up gas come shotting back out the tank at me & I see it was a recall on that & I have not recieved my letter to go have it checked out. Please please please help

- Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Aug 012014

I bought the vehicle used and researched the problem of "fuel spitting", which my vehicle does. This model was under recall Chrysler H45, but not my VIN #. why hasn't this been recalled? it is a fire hazard and is ruining body components when the fuel spits back. Please add this VIN to the recall list so I can get the problem fixed at chryler's expense. Thanks

- Dublin, OH, USA

Aug 022013

I was driving home from shopping with my husband and when I turned the rear end, it jerked and almost made me wreck. I had to pull over at tim horton's and the vehicle finally corrected itself and everything was okay. It happened again last night, as I was leaving from goodwill and as I was turning out of my parking spot it did it again, but this time worse if someone was in front of me I would have hit them without my control. As I was turning onto my narrow bridge last night it did it again and I almost wrecked into the bridge and into my creek, I then decided that it was dangerous and wasn't going to drive this vehicle until it gets fixed.

- West Portsmouth, OH, USA

Apr 232013

Same issue as reported below: Date investigation opened: Nov 18, 2010 date investigation closed: Open NHTSA action number: AQ10001 component(s): Unknown or other all products associated with this investigation details 43 associated documents manufacturer: Chrysler group llc, Ford Motor Company, General Motors llc summary: The Agency, particularly in recent months, has been informed of incidents involving allegations of personal injury and death claimed to have been caused by safety defects and failures to conform to minimum Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) on rental car vehicles for which a safety recall to remedy the safety defect or noncompliance had allegedly not been performed prior to the rental car company's lease of the vehicle. NHTSA understands that there is presently a petition before the federal trade commission (ftc) seeking to prohibit at least one rental car company from renting vehicles on which safety recall campaign remedies remain outstanding. The purpose of this audit query (aq) is to investigate recall remedy completion by rental car companies on the above-listed safety recall campaigns. These campaigns were chosen due to their inclusion of vehicles used in the rental market. This information is expected to provide the Agency an indication of how completely and how quickly rental car fleets, in general or individually, perform necessary recall-related repairs or other remedies on the vehicles owned and then leased for use on the roadways. This aq is opened.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 142012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The bolts used on the manifold are defective and break off into the head of the engine causing damage. Due to this, the manifold is not tight and secure and causes exhaust fumes to be released.

- New Knoxville, OH, USA

Aug 102011

Durango 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle, it just shuts down. It will shut down while at a stop light and while driving any speed (happened to us while going 55mph). The vehicle shuts down, locking the steering wheel and turning off the brakes. This will happen about once a day, but can be worse. I took it to the dealership and they don't have any answer for me. They are just guessing as to the problem. So far nothing fixed on the vehicle has been the problem. If this problem occurs during a turn or bend in the road (with the steering wheel locked up) there will be an accident. Many people drive this vehicle due to the fact that it can fit the whole family, so when there is an accident it there will most likely be a death/injury.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Jul 072010

Durango 8-cyl

My car for over a year now stalls without notice causing a deadly safety issue.while stopping, turning or slowing and lately even while on the freeway my car will die, sometimes im not aware of it until the steering wheel locks up.I have almost been hit many times including one time I was almost hit by a bus.I have 5 small children and im paranoid everytime we get in the car. The incidents are increasing in the beggining it happened every few days now it happens several times a day. It also revs RPM while in park and at stops, many times it dies altogether. In all these cases the car starts right back up.there is also an annoying ticking noise from the car.I havent had the car repaired yet because during resaerch I discovered many people having same problems and have spent hundredsof dollars trying to fix but to no avail. Im on a limited income and cant afford to spend that kind of money only to have the problems remain!!

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Feb 032011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango when filling up with gas the pump will kick off and gas with shoot out all over.

- Great Bend, KS, USA

Mar 292010

My 2005 Dodge Durango V8 hemi, several months back, started losing all power while driving including power steering and power brakes. I would have to try and coast to a stop without being involved in or causing an accident. The Durango would then restart and run fine. This has been increasing in frequency over the past couple of months with it occuring twice yesterday, March 29,2010. This is becoming a serious safety hazard and will undoubtedly cause an accident. It has occured while turning, slowing down for traffic, and while accelerating through an interesction. I have called Dodge on several occasions with no answer as to what the problem is or that they would fix it, as it is an obvious safety concern. There are many sites with other owners voicing this same thing happening to them and also list that this was brought to Dodge's attention in the past and they didnt feel that it was important enough for them to issue a recall to get the problem fixed. I only hope it doesn't cost soimeone's life for them to admit that it is of concern to them

- Griffin, GA, USA

Mar 242010

2005 Dodge Durango 5.7 engine stalls @ low speeds. This is twice in 2 months. There has been no accidents. This vehicle was bought used and the carfax report indicated no problems. This vehicle has 85,000 mile. Please help!!!

- Kaysville, UT, USA

Jul 242009

TL-the contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact was driving approximately 25 mph on normal road conditions. The opposing vehicle informed the driver flames were erupting from the vehicle. The driver pulled over to the side of the road and exited the vehicle. Immediately, the vehicle fully engulfed into flames. The fire department was called to the scene. There were no personal injuries. The vehicle was completely destroyed. The insurance company was notified of the incident. The cause of failure has not been determined at this time. The contact had concern of the safety risk involved. The failure and current mileages were 60,000.

- Mount Morris, MI, USA