2006 Dodge Durango drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Durango:

2006 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 202013

Durango 8-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Durango has an innumerable amount of issues like a cracked passenger side exhaust manifold from a bad bolt and electrical problems where the radio and overhead light only work when it feels like it - but the biggest problem is this transmission. This morning I put the car in reverse to leave the driveway and as I shifted to go into drive, the transmission completely locked up. It wouldn't go into drive, reverse or even neutral. The wheels locked up completely like it was stuck in park. The car sat in the road until I could get a tow truck to take it to a certified transmission repair shop. Last week I had taken it to a different certified transmission repair shop to check a transmission code that came up under a general P-007 code when the engine light came on. No transmission codes were present in the big computer in the shop...the guy told me the transmission was fine. This morning there was no engine light on at all. Since we bought the truck the transmission and electrical have acted a little flaky but this is dangerous, very dangerous.

- Holland, MI, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle independently shifted into four wheel drive without any warning, preventing the vehicle from driving normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the transfer case was defective. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Aug 012013

Durango 8-cyl

The 4WD service light came on and the 4WD will switch on and off automatically without manually being changed. It has a very loud shifting sound that I notice when the vehicle is on and off. The 4WD will turn on as I'm driving down the road at high speeds, and taking turns it will come on and make a very loud popping noise. I happens constantly and is hard to drive during my home health job. When it gets into 4hi or 4lo I am stuck in some places because it will not turn properly. I can not get it to switch out of 4WD. I have taken it to Dodge dealers and they say they have never heard of this problem. This has become a very frustrating problem.

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Nov 102012

Durango 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the engine warning light illuminated. The instrument panel lighting also illuminated while the engine was shut off and the vehicle was unoccupied. The fuel and temperature gauge reading began fluctuating, the horn began to sound independently and the exterior lighting illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician reset the check engine light but the light continued to illuminate. The technician stated that the power train module would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure continued after the replacement of the part. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Apr 132013

Durango 8-cyl

The vehicle, on cold start up exhibited a surging idle, from 500 RPM ranging up to 2000 RPM. The idle finally leveled out and settled down. While driving the vehicle, I noted some surging present while at a steady speed. Once, while sitting at a traffic light while in drive, the vehicle idle jumped up and caused the vehicle to lunge into the intersection. Luckily no cross traffic was present and applying the brakes very hard stopped the vehicle from completely running through the intersection. There was no check engine light present, nor has the check engine light ever illuminated on this vehicle, (other than the bulb check on start up), for any reason. As an ase master automobile technician and a former Chrysler factory trained technician, I connected a scan tool to this vehicle to see what was going on. As stated, there was no cel, so there were no codes active, pending or historical. Observation of the live data stream revealed nothing out of the ordinary. With access to identifix, I researched and found several other instances of the same concern with 2006 Durangos, with recommendations of replacing the throttle body assembly due to intermittent "glitches" in the throttle position sensor sending false readings to the PCM causing the idle control motor to increase the idle speed. I currently have this part on order from my local dealership. Once received and installed I will determine if further action will be required.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Dec 212012

As I was exiting a highway, my 2006 Dodge Durango suddenly stalled out. The engine light came on after it stalled. I lost control of steering and was unable to brake. I nearly crashed into the car in front of me, and was barely able to turn the steering wheel enough to run into the curb to stop my vehicle! I was not able to re-start it and had to be towed. While waiting for police to arrive, I was nearly rear-ended multiple times. It was towed to a shop and the mechanic was able to start it up with no problem the next morning. He checked everything, and ran all diagnostic tests - all came back showing no problems. There is clearly a problem - and there are man, many, many complaints about it all over the internet. If I had been on the highway when this happened, I could have been in a very serious accident and could have been killed, or killed someone else, since I lost complete control of the vehicle and was unable to steer or brake. Is it going to take a fatality before this is recalled and fixed"????" I am scared to death to drive it now!

- Manchester, NH, USA

Jan 012012

I first noticed a problem when leaving work by simply unlocking my 06 Durango (all wheel drive/ 4 wheel drive) with the key fob the transfer case control motor starts shifting the truck in and out from AWD to 4WD and I haven't even opened the door!! as the weeks pass it does this several more times but what is more unnerving is that as I am driving at hwy speeds, 60 to 70 mph, or any speed really, my "4 wheel low" light on the dash will start to flicker as if it is trying to shift into 4 wheel low un-commanded. After searching several forums I find this to be a common chronic electrical problem with Durangos and a huge safety risk. Please understand that max speed for a 4 wheel drive vehicle that is in 4 wheel low is about 10 to 15 mph, the gear ratio is extremely low and intended for maximum traction when off road. If this vehicle shifts into 4 wheel low at 70 mph all 4 wheels will come to a stop and the driver will most likely loose total control. At that speed this is a dangerous combination. I have read of this happening to Durangos with serious damage and huge expense for the owner. This very scenario happened to a co-workers wife with his kids in their 06 Durango, luckily she was only traveling at about 30 to 35 mph and no accident occurred. Now my key fob wont even open the door, it acts as if its dead or broken. I have to use the key to unlock the truck manually which sets off the alarm every time I unlock the door. The same electrical problem I started with is tied to the 4 wheel drive electrically, another common chronic problem. My local Dodge dealer denies having any knowledge of this problem or a fix and from what I have read Dodge denies it as well. Is it going to take a family's death from one of these vehicles for Dodge to own up to this and recognize they have a very wide spread problem over several years manufacturing!

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Sep 152010

The vehicle started out by shifting on its own when the vehicle would be stopped. Then it began shifting on its own even when it was turned off. It would shift into 4 lo or 4 high totally on its own when stopped. Then from there it started shifting into 4 lo or high while driving and it would sound like somebody had hit the vehicle from behind and it would shove the vehicle forward as though it had been hit but all because it was shifting on its own. I took it to our mechanic a couple of times but it would not repeat itself while he had it and he had not heard of such a thing before, so I continued to drive it. Sometimes it would not reverse without giving it a lot of gas and sometimes it would not turn when I needed it to, perhaps because it was in 4lo or hi. And occasionally it would jump forward with no warning or control making screeching sounds from the tires. Then one day I was sitting in traffic and it shifted itself into 4 lo and thrusted the car forward several feet and luckily I was far enough back from the vehicle in front of me that I didn't hit it. However at that point it would barely drive so I slowly got it off the side of the road and then it would not shift out of 4 lo the entire day, so I had to eventually have it towed to my mechanic. By the time it got there it drove fine again and he could not find the problem. But while parked in his lot, it began to change gears, on its own, and while turned off. He did some research and found that other owners of 2006 Dodge Durangos had reported similar problems and he called to let us know that it was a manufacturers defect that he could not repair it and to file a report on it and that it was extremely unsafe to drive. He said it was shifting itself into other gears whether the vehicle was off or on and to make sure that we left it in park as it could put itself into neutral and still roll even while off. I called the manufacturer who offered no help at this time. This is my only way to work at this time.

- Molalla, OR, USA