2.2

2006 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Durango:

2006 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 162016

Durango

The traction light and service 4WD lights stay on, you can hear the 4WD kicking in and out when the car is sitting the driveway. Dodge acts like they have no idea what is causing this problem. You can google the symptoms and everybody that has a 04 to 06 Dodge is having the same issue. This should be something covered under a recall, there is to many people having the same issues.

- East Lynn, WV, USA

Jul 012016

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 07V092000 (electrical system), 15V313000 (air bags), and 16V352000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Boonville, NC, USA

Jun 202016

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. After the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags), the vehicle failed to lock electronically. The vehicle was taken back to a dealer where it was diagnosed that some numbers were erased when the previous recall repair was performed. The dealer also stated that the key could not be reset because it was not a pair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 280,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Dec 272015

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. While driving at approximately 45 mph, smoke appeared from the dash panel. The contact pulled over, turned the ignition to the off position, and allowed the vehicle to cool down before restarting the engine. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the recall needed to be performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V092000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Cedar Grove, WV, USA

Jun 212015

Durango

Since July 2015 my Durango has been stalling. Whether I am turning, stopped at a light it turns off, but turns back on. It has been pulling, acts like it wants to turn off while I am driving, like I am losing power. Alternator has been replaced, throttle body, factory spark plugs have been installed and several oil changes. No one can seem to fix the problem. I have had several mechanics look at it and they tell me it is one thing and fix it and the problem continues. Another tells me something else and fix it and it continues.

- Alvin, TX, USA

Sep 122011

Durango 6-cyl

While trying to start the vehicle from the parking lot the ignition switch would not turn. I had to insert the key in the switch 10 to 12 times before it would turn. I tried to unlock the steering wheel by turn it the best could to get the ignition to turn but it still would not turn. This happened on more than one occasion to myself and my wife. In 2012 we had to after the situation continued we had the ignition replace, a cost of almost $1200. I want to know if this was caused by what happened in the latest recall of over 1.4 million vehicles?...updated 09/11/15 the vehicle was repaired. Updated 09/29/15

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Jul 112015

Durango

While vehicle is parked there is a noise from transmission switching in and out of all wheel drive and switching back to 4 wheel drive by itself. Engine is not running. This happens when parked only so far. I'm afraid could switch during driving. It has happened also when hitting the unlock button on the key fob. I originally thought another car was having trouble starting beside my truck. I soon realized it was my vehicle making this noise issue?

- Lynbrook, NY, USA

Jun 142015

Durango

On 6/14/2015 I was about to back my trailer into my yard, when my gear shift column selector locked in park. I depressed the brake pedal and it would not budge. Additionally, my brake lights are no longer working. Prior to all of these problems I had to replace my ignition for it was locking and would not turn to the on position or accessories position. It cost me $400 dollars for a new ignition to be installed by the dealer and now I have worse problems than before. So I began researching and here is my findings: 1) safetyrecall G28 -ignition/park shift interlock in 2001 and 2002 models for many vehicles which included the Durango. 2) the brake transmission shift interlock connector has malfunctioned will not allow the shifter to move. So if the dealer knows about these recalls why didn't they fix them free of charge.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Mar 062015

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

No crank to my engine, security system just locked the car up. Been told to drive the car to dealership for them to fix it. It cant be done with the dealer because I refuse to take my car to the dealership. After reviewing everything possible I am quite frustrated with the fact that I know it is more than likely something to do with my transponder. I have never really had any other problems with this car, other than normal wear and tear issues. This is something that I see all too common across the internet and yet Dodge is not answering the questions nor trying to fix it for the consumer. This is why I will never purchase another Dodge car or truck again.

- Purcellville, VA, USA

Mar 182009

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

1st time turned truck off got out keys in hand shut door heard shifting from undertruck, .truck was empty and no keys.. 2nd.on hwy going 65 came to exit.slowed down to 35 service 4 wheel drive lite came on then went to turn a right hand turn and truck shifted into four low. Happened again while towing my trailer..been doing this everyday now shifts into 4 lo easily now and stays foelonger4 periods of vtime.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Aug 182014

Durango 8-cyl

Ignition switch locks up frequently. Vehicle stalls out during stops, turns and backing up.

- Palm Bay , FL, USA

Jan 282015

Durango

1] engine stalls out during stops, turning, and reversing. 2] ignition will not turn to on position occasionally.

- Palm Bay , FL, USA

Jul 162013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Approximately during summer of 2013, upon starting engine, the ignition would "stick" when key was turned forward. Durango would have to be turned off and key taken out of ignition switch to try it again. Then, upon shifting into reverse and backing up, the vehicle would come to an abrupt halt and be immovable for a time, usually until putting into park and re-starting vehicle. This is when the malfunction indicator light came on. We had to have vehicle towed at which time the wheels were locked in place, causing black skid marks from its point of tow to tow truck. The auto shop replaced the emergency brake which was "stuck or locked in position". malfunction indicator light went off temporarily. It came back on again in August, 2014. Took to auto shop to diagnose. After $677.74 dollars in repairs, light still remains on.

- Freeport, PA, USA

Oct 302013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Upon first purchasing at a dealership the purchase was as a used vehicle, so no warranty is or was in place. A few months later when filling the tank at a gas station the first incident of propulsion of gasoline forcing out of the tank, first happened. Then a couple of times when trying to start the vehicle the motor would not start. Using an obd to check codes there was no error codes but still ended up clearing it anyways which allowed the vehicle to start (which means its the computer). Now, the front passenger window is down and will not go back up, checked the motor and the motor for the window is fine, but checking the switch it would only unlock door, not allow lock and absolutely no window control at all from either the passenger door switch or driver side switch. When looking at the switches turns out that the circuit boards are not soldered. The only way to get any of the problems fixed for anyone now would be for a recall, because the year being 2014 no warranty will cover any problems that I or anyone else is facing!

- Highland, UT, USA

Sep 242014

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled intermittently on numerous occasions. The contact indicated that whenever the vehicle went over a bump on the road, the engine would stall. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician diagnosed that the computer and the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 139,835.

- Beaver, UT, USA

May 152013

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the lights in the instrument panel and the radio failed to operate sporadically. The contact stated that once the failure occured, the seat belt warning light illuminated and did not shut off until the vehicle was turned off. The failure recurred on various occasions. The contact mentioned that the instrument cluster was previously repaired in 2007. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician verified that the instrument cluster was faulty. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Mar 122013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango, bought it used about 4 years ago. About a year and half ago, approximately March of 2013, the vehicle started to stall while driving. It happened at all speeds and after it happening multiple times we figured out that it happened when it was wet/raining out. This is extremely scary and dangerous when going 70mph on the highway...to have your vehicle jerk numerous times and then completely shutoff (aka no power at all!). we have spent a few thousand dollars since spring of 2013 trying to fix the issue. We worked closely with our dealer to figure out the exact problem...figured out it was electrical (possibly when the windshield wiper are used...)but that was about as far as we got. Some of the things they found and/or fixed or replaced are as follows: Wiring that was frayed, re-ground numerous wires, replaced a handful of sensors, resealed connections between electrical components and main module (as well as resealed the boxes themselves since water was found in them), replaced the electrical module ($2K), and replaced entire electrical box(which included having to re-wire)...found a used one since brand new would have been $1200!. I have recently seen that there was a petition to the government to investigate (and hopefully recall) vehicles that have situations similar to what I have described above but they reference vehicles manufactured 2007 and forward but our 2006 is having the same issues!! since it has been to the dealer last (less than a month ago) we have not had the problem but there was a stretch over the winter where it didn't happen at all either so I am not convinced it is fixed...it seems the dealer mechanic is about out of ideas and so are we...

- Edgar, WI, USA

Aug 222014

Durango 8-cyl

While driving at night I tried to use my brights, but the windshield wipers would keep coming on instead. When the brights did come on then they wouldn't turn off. There are also times when I use the left turn signal that the right signal would come on and the two signals would flicker back and forth.

- Carbondale, IL, USA

Apr 012013

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while activating the turn signals, the hazard lights would activate instead. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The contact also mentioned that on multiple occasions while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly stall. In addition, while attempting to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal, the brakes had malfunctioned increasing the stopping distant needed to stop the vehicle. Also, when the vehicle was in park, the vehicle would roll away. The dealer repaired the brakes but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

May 182012

Durango 8-cyl

At random times, including while sitting in the driveway, the transfer case on my 2006 Dodge Durango AWD will engage the 4WD. It can happen while sitting in the driveway when you insert the key and before you start the engine. It also makes the clicking sound as if it is engaging when you unlock the doors (possible electrical problem?) it can also happen when driving while turning a corner, such as the sharp corners in a drive-thru. The effect is such that one wheel locks up as if one front wheel has the emergency brake on. When going straight there is no issue. I have researched on the internet and found forums where others are having the same exact problem. The problem is that it is random and intermittent, and difficult to reproduce at the dealership. Often their response is to simply replace one or more of the three main components without verifying that is the issue. This can be quite expensive for the owner and frustrating after spending large sums of money and the issue remains unsolved. I feel it is a safety issue because an inexperienced driver might have this issue in a drive-thru, and to overcome the lack of movement after pressing the gas pedal, they may rev the engine. This might overcompensate and cause the vehicle to dart forward into another car, or even into the building as the wheels are turned to go around the corner. If the 4WD disengages at the revving of the engine, this could also cause the vehicle to suddenly accelerate into another vehicle, pedestrian, or building.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA