2006 Dodge Durango fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Durango:

2006 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Apr 012011

Durango 8-cyl

Every time I fill my tank, the nozzle doesn't shut off, and gas goes all over me and the ground. Not to mention on the paint of the car, can't be good for the paint. Also it is not good for the environment at a gallon a week on the ground. The 2005 model was recalled for this very same reason, seems reasonable to recall the 2006. This is a very dangerous issue where a spark could end up causing an explosion.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 192011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Every time this vehicle is filled to full it spews gas out of the tank at the pump operator resulting in gas on the person fueling vehicle. We have tried several service stations this is not a pump issue the issue is with the vehicle. We have spoken to several station attendants this is a known issue to them. I believe this needs to be addressed before someone is seriously burned by a spark.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Jul 212011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Every time I fill up my gas tank since purchasing this vehicle last year my fuel tank sprays out gas after the gas pump shuts off. Even if I don't use the gas pump auto shutoff while filling as soon as the tank is full it sprays gas out and also pours down the side of my vehicle onto the ground. I always need to take windshield washer fluid and wash off my vehicle and pour it onto the ground so there is not a puddle of gas sitting on the ground. Now I only fill my tank 1/2 full when fueling to avoid this issue.

- Bloomington , MN, USA

May 282012

Durango 6-cyl

Gas spewed all over me and my vehicle (while pumping gas) after the tank reached full. It has done it every time I've filled it up since purchasing the vehicle.

- Woodland, CA, USA

Nov 152011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel spews out of the fuel filler tube after the automatic fuel shutoff stops fuel flow into the tank. There is a one or two second lag before the fuel spews out after shutoff. Fuel spills onto the car, the ground and the person filling the tank if they happen to be removing the pump nozzle at that moment. The problem has persisted with each successive fillup since the initial incident.

- Beggs, OK, USA

Sep 092009

Durango 8-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Durango shoots gas out of the gas tank when filling up with gas. It has been doing this since 2009 and I just found out yesterday when getting a recall (wipers) fixed that a recall for 2005 had the issue. There is no recall for 2006 Dodge Durango models.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 092012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

While filling up with gas, gas started spewing out of the tank. I was covered head to toe in gas and it was flowing down the pavement at the gas station. What if someone had discarded a lit cigarette? I have since discovered that this is an issue with a lot of the Dodge Durango's. it should be recalled! it has happened 4 times since then.

- Mount Gilead, OH, USA

Jan 022012

Durango 8-cyl

Every time the car is refueled gas spills from the tank. It shoots to the rear of the vehicle and gets on my hands, legs, shoes, side of car and ground. I have contacted Dodge and they will not do anything about the issue. This effects the environment, myself, my family and anyone else who has to come in contact with the gas that is left all over my car, myself and the ground.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Jul 162012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Filling gas tank. When the pump kicks off at full I get gas kicking back out of tank. Actually its alot of gas all over side of vehicle and ground. If im holding gas nozzle I get gas on my arm. I just bought this vehicle and don't know if previous owner made complaints. This happens each time I fill tank.

- Princeton, MN, USA

Jul 122012

Durango 8-cyl

While fueling our 2006 Dodge Durango limited when the vehicle tank became full the fuel nozzle on the pumped kicked off, but then fuel began spewing out of the vehicle fueling spout due to an apparent failure of the tank valve flap that is supposed to prevent this occurrence. Approximately 1/4 to 1/2 of a gallon of gas spews out each time this happens, mostly on the car, but also on mine or my wife's hands and shoes. This is probably the 90-100th time this has happened to our vehicle since we purchased it brand new in late 2006, and there are many other 2006 Durango owners on this site and the Dodge Durango clubs web sites that complain of the same failure. This is unacceptable. The 2005 Durango was recalled for the same failure, but the 2006 has not been addressed. It should not take a fire or someone getting hurt or killed to get this corrected. We paid a lot of money for this vehicle new for this occurrence to happen every time we fill the tank up. The dealership ignores the issue, and Chrysler wants me to pay to have it investigated, and may refund me if it is found to be a faulty part. I cannot afford the $600 the dealership wants to do this work (draining and removing the tank). Someone needs to take a hard look at this issue and help us out with it before someone gets hurt or a fire is caused by it.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 122012

The last two times that I have filled up my Durango several ounces of gas will come spewing out of the tank just before it shuts off. I'm afraid this could cause quite the fire if a spark ignites it.

- Rosemount, MN, USA

Jul 072012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Was pumping fuel and the nozzle clicked off and immediately after fuel came splashing out of the tank.

- Sloan, NY, USA

Jun 142007

Durango 8-cyl

When refueling vehicle check valve in fuel filler neck is defective causing gasoline to be ejected at high volocity when the gas pump handle shuts off. Owner had cuticles on left foot burned from skin contact with liquid gasoline. Many videos posted on youtube demonstrating this dangerous defect Chrysler refuses to repair even though they have acknowledged the defect by recalling select VIN's knowing the same part was installed without modification in many more vehicles not included in the recalls. This is just 1 clip

- Henderson, NV, USA

Feb 012010

At the end of refueling, gas spews from the filler neck and shoots out onto everything in the immediate area. Gas spills onto the side of the vehicle and onto the ground.

- Webster, NY, USA

Sep 122011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Own Durango built Jan 2006, gas is put in it, click off nozzle, gas comes back out forcefully over the vehicle, ground and myself. It is terrifying and dangerous. There is a recall for this on the 2005. Someone is going to get seriously hurt. I barely drive it because I am so terrified to put gas in it. I tried to email Dodge and the email does not go through. I called on the recall and they told me it is for the 2005 and I can have the dealer fix it and maybe they will help. I took it to an independent repair shop and the part alone is $550 and I do not have that kind of money and I don't have 40,000 miles on the vehicle. Here is the recall: January 2009 -- Chrysler is recalling 19,024 my 2005 Dodge Durango vehicles. The fuel tank filler tube inlet check valve may not fully close at the end of refueling. This could allow some fuel to escape from the vehicle through the filler neck at the end of refueling. Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source can result in a fire. Dealers will inspect the fuel tank inlet check valve. Vehicles found to have a suspect inlet check valve will have the fuel tank assembly replaced free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during April 2009. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403. This recall was the subject of a recall query, RQ08-005, conducted by the Office Of Defects Investigation. 09V-003 many other owners with the same complaint of 2006: ____ ____ ____

- Romulus, MI, USA

Jan 022012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Every time at fill up when fueling the vehicle, when the gas pump clicks off fuel shoots/spills out of gas tank opening. Doing research on line I've discovered many other Dodge Durango's with the exact same problem. There has been a tsb # 14-001-12 and NHTSA ref. # 10043594 about the problem and Durangos with certain VIN#S have been fixed with this tsb. I thought all 2006 Durangos would be fixed with this tech. Service bulletin. When I inquired at the dealer on 6/9/12 about having the problem fixed I was told my VIN # was not covered in the tsb. I contacted Chrysler about the problem and had a rep. Call me and ask what the problem was and that she never heard of the problem. I referred to the tsb notice and she still acted like she didn't know anything about it. All 2006 Durangos should be covered by the lifetime warranty on parts and repairs listed in tsb 14-001-12. This is a very serious safety issue that could very well result in fire and death.

- Rossford, OH, USA

Feb 092011

Durango 8-cyl

4-8 ounces of gasoline spills every time I fill the tank, whether in automatic mode or trying to minimize flow rate from the pump manually.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Sep 012010

The gas tank sprays a large amount of gasoline back out of the tank every time it is filled. This is a flammable and environmental hazard. It is the same symptom as in the 2005 Dodge Durango recall, yet the '06S are not included. This is clearly a manufacturing defect, yet Dodge will not correct this, and it is a costly repair to the consumer.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Jun 102011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

This VIN has a recurring gasoline fuel spit-back problem. First occurrence happened at approximately 45,000 miles + 5 years ownership and continues. Vehicle cannot be fueled to 'full' without approximately 12 ounces of fuel spit-back and overflow onto vehicle body and ground. Extremely hazardous. Not coverage by recall or warranty.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Jan 012009

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel system, gasoline storage tank assembly filler pipe overflows. Auto-shutoff does not function and gas spills out of filler pipe onto ground.

- Lakewood, CO, USA