CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2.5

2011 Dodge Durango brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Oct 262016

Durango

Safety issue on my 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving home after work late one night, the Durango started acting up like it was possessed. The lights would go on and off, the wipers went on and wouldn't shut off, seats went back and forth while driving!, radio, heat, ac. I was in traffic and finally managed to move over to a secure location out of harms way no sooner did I pull off the side of the road then the Dodge completely died. I had to coast down a hill. Tried to turn it over and nothing. No lights no radio no nothing. It was dead. Had to have it towed to the dealership. The dealer claimed it was the battery, installed a new one and sent me on my way. Fast forward to less than 2 weeks later- same problem. Driving to drop off my 5 year old and it starts acting up again completely possessed. How is this safe? I made it to work with it going crazy. At lunch, I went to start it and check it out. Dead. Brand new battery dead. 400 bucks down the drain- when that wasn't the problem. Not to mention the 200 bucks to tow. I brought it to a little shop around the corner and they couldn't find the problem and towed it back to the dealer. And there it sits. No one can figure out what is wrong with it over there. It is really pathetic. So now add'L tow charges-$200, no vehicle to get back and forth to work and child's stroke therapists, and had to break down and pay for a rental. What a joke thanks Dodge. They are well aware of the tipm issues and refuse to recall any of their vehicles. This is a huge huge safety issue. Everything just dies.. the engine the brakes don't work nothing.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jul 222016

Durango

2011 Dodge Durango recall# 14V634000, electrical system, alternator. The truck was in motion on a busy city street and stopped abruptly. The entire computer system went out, causing the alternator, and the battery to be disabled. Dodge refused to reimburse for the 2K we paid in repairs.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 252016

Durango

Radio started going off and on once the car was parked started smoking under hood and then would not start at all had to have it towed to a garage. Garage alternator caught on fire order new alternator also it ruined the battery new battery put in still would not start had to take it to a Dodge dealer now I have a bill for $1500 I have trying to pay as much as I could afford each week but not getting far I need something, I really need my car back

- Dallas, PA, USA

Jul 112016

Durango

I was driving with my kids getting our day started. I turn on with remote start was making loud screeching sound. Loaded up kids and started to take off. We could all smell a bad burning smell. I check all temps on car and nothing read high temperature. I drove on my way to daycare when my car stalled and shut down. And it had previously did this B4 like 4 months or so and a recall of fuel pump was done and had been running fine till this day. I tried starting it a few times nothing. Finally turn on and battery light came on. I drove it to drop of my 3 kids at camp when it kept feeling like it wanted to turn of. Still smelling burning. Finally I'm headed to work and it stalled in middle of intersection. Thank god I didn't have my kids with me and no accidents happened. I had car towed to local mechanic because dealership is and hour away. He said alternator gave out. Put new alternator in still nothing. 600 dollars down drain. Now I have to pay towing to get to dealership which will mean just more money down the drain which I don't have the extra money and use this car for wk so hopefully I don't lose my job. I don't understand how I have same exact problems as another 2011 Durango under recall but mine ain't one of them. Do you have to wait till someone is seriously hurt or killed to have a recall. If none of this is resolved properly I will be hiring a lawyer. I have only had vehicle for 2yrs.

- Las Vegas, NM, USA

Jun 162016

Durango

While in motion on city street, first my radio would turn off on its own, then the battery light came on, then all the service lights came on filled by my account blowing out hot air and then my car completely shut off on me not allowing me to remove my key or put my car on neutral or allowing me to put on the hazard lights on. It followed by a burning smell under the hood.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jan 152016

Durango

I purchased my 2011 Dodge duango citadel in August 2015. On several occasions, both weeks and months apart, my hazard lights will randomly cut off and on just long enough for you to think you're crazy and second guess if you saw them. I eventually had to take my car to the Dodge dealership because the car was not turning over at the start and became inoperable. Once at the dealership, the manager determined that although my car reported to have already had the tipm replaced, it was actually not. The original tipm was still in the car, meaning that the carfax reporting that the tipm recall had been executed was false. After my tipm was replaced, my car operated fine until one day whilei was driving with my 2 year old in the car. I was coming up on a stop sign, and when I went to make a right hand turn my car stalled. All of the lights were on and the radio still functioned, but I lost complete power steering and my hazard lights would not work when I tried to cut them on to alert other drivers. I was able to put my car in park and restart it successfully. I took around 3 weeks before I was able to make an appt. For my car to be looked at. During this time my hazard lights sporadically came on from time to time, lasting no longer than a couple of seconds. Might I mention that when the car stalled my fcw off light and the adaptive cruise control symbol came on. After a thorough review at the Dodge dealership, I was informed that that there was no problem detected. I was told that all the connections were checked and that no trouble codes were coming up when running diagnostics. I left the dealersihp hoping my problem had been a fluke. Boy was I wrong! since then, my hazard lights have still been spiratically going off and has stalled again, this time while I was making a left hand turn onto my road with my 5 year old in the car. This is ridiculous!

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Nov 272015

Durango

I was driving on a major interstate (I-70) when dashboard lights started flashing and signals started going off. Seat belt signal. Airbag signal. ABS light signal. I then lost power steering. My 12-year old was with me and scared to death as cars whizzed by at 70 mph. I luckily was at an off ramp and took it and managed to pull off the main road. Car would not turnover when I tried it again. Got towed to a dealership. Battery was replaced first. Then they hooked up the alternator to the new battery, and the alternator drained the new battery by half in a matter of seconds. And started smoking profusely. Dealership replaced the alternator, which was a 220 amp. After the alternator was replaced it was determined that the alternator blew the PCM, so I had to have the computer PCM replaced too. Dealer says there may be more issues that arise from the bad alternator. He was surprised more wires and fuses weren't melted or damaged because of how bad the alternator was. My car was not part of the recall because I have a 220 amp. But all of the symptoms they describe for the 160 amp alternator is what I experienced with my car. I am just thankful my son and I, nor anyone else, was hurt or killed in this incident. All alternators no matter what amp need to be recalled. This is a true safety hazard!

- Waverly, MO, USA

Oct 042014

Durango

I believe there is actually 3 incidents that are all connected. First was August 2014 check engine light was on and car was losing power. The dealer replaced the battery. I asked them to check alternator but was told it was fine. Oct 4, 2014 we where driving and the check engine light came on car was having power loss and engine began to smoke. Took to the dealer and they claimed it was a bad waterpump. They also did recall work on the braking system. Two days later the check engine light was on again and the battery light would come on and off. My wife and daughter were driving car down the road and car power system just shut down. They had no control over anything at all in the vehicle. Towed to dealer and they claim it was the alternator and the batter. I am sorry but a vehicle with 31,000 miles with proper maintenance and around 10,000 miles a year should not be having all of these problem.

- Miami , FL, USA

Jul 152014

Durango

When the key is put inside the ignition, it takes a couple of tries for the engine to start (if at all) after failing multiple times. After it starts, sometimes the engine shuts down completely when I am driving at 30+mph and when I hit a stop sign/red light! this is very dangerous and needs to be fixed!

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Jul 272014

Durango 6-cyl

Defective tipm. I'm posting these comments shortly after receiving a call from my local Dodge service center advising me of the cause of my vehicle not starting. If this is a problem that has been experienced by many Chrysler owners (tipm), then I find it shameful that Chrysler has not implemented a fix. Fortunately I have an extended warranty to cover the repair, but I dislike having to use it for a known problem. Updated 4/24/2015

- Hampton, VA, USA