CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 11 of 16)

Aug 082014

Durango 8-cyl

This vehicle has been to the dealership 4 times for the same issue, failure to start. The starter would crank, the fuel pump would work, it just would not turn over. The first time they replaced the battery. The second time they said they could not find a problem. The third time the vehicle had to be towed to the dealership. They said the battery was drained. They charged it and it tested fine. It still had issues starting. They kept it for 2 days and finally replaced the tpim. 2 weeks later, they vehicle failed to start again. They told me I had a dead battery and replaced it again. It looks like this exact issue is noted by many other people. Why has a recall not been issued on this issue? my wife, 2 year old and 1 month old were stuck in 110 degree heat trying to start the vehicle. This is a safety issue!

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Durango 6-cyl

The tipm is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all of the electrical functions of the vehicle, including safety and ignition systems. The lawsuit claims Chrysler has long been aware of the tipm problem, but refuses to publicly acknowledge it. A defective tipm can sometimes make it impossible to start your car. In addition, it can cause any of the following: The fuel pump not turning off the airbags not deploying or deploying randomly the engine stalling while driving the horn going off at random times in other words, having a vehicle with a faulty tipm is like driving something possessed.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Sep 182014

Durango 8-cyl

My 2011 Dodge Durango will not start as of today. There have been hints of a problem over the past few weeks with hesitant starts and/or requiring 3-4 attempts before the vehicle starts. Looks like this is the infamous tipm issue, but I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for confirmation.

- Maumelle, AR, USA

Sep 162014

Durango

My wife had problems starting the vehicle that morning after 10 minutes it finally started she was going to work and when she arrived and turned it off the vehicle was smoking. It would not start again. She called the dealership who came out and picked it up. After they checked it out they found out that the tipm had shorted. We were informed that it was not covered under any warranty we had. I then contacted Dodge and explained what had happened and was informed there was nothing they would do for me. I then explained that this was something I had no control over with this part going out and that repeated there was nothing they were going to do. The next day I contacted the dealer requesting the part they were going to replace and I was informed it I wanted it I would have to pay a core fee of $150, I was already paying $1200 to replace the part. So once again I called Dodge and was informed if I wanted the part I would have to pay the core fee and there was nothing they could do for me. After some investigating the night before I found out that is has been an ongoing since 2007 and that it was under investigation, and a possible recall was pending I asked barbra with Dodge about this and she informed me if that was the case save my receipts. My question is how long is this going to be allowed to go on.

- Mabank, TX, USA

Aug 122014

Durango 8-cyl

My car wouldn't start and after checking the fuses and relays I found a relay that reset the dashboard alarm I bought a new relay and replaced it.sometime later my car lost all power. Took my battery out and inspected and found that the battery was drained /bad. After buying a new battery my wife reported to me a noise coming from the gas tank area. After inspecting the area in question I took it to get looked at and found out that my fuel pump will not shut off and was the reason why my original battery died.after doing some research I have found the same problems with other Dodge Durango's and the root cause being the tipm.I don't want to spend the money on a test from the dealer telling me I have a bad tipm when I already know what's wrong. So where do I go from here? I spent good money on this car and I am in fear of my family's safety when driving this car.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Sep 152014

Durango 6-cyl

This is the known issue with tipm failure, the car just stalled and lost all power and would not start back up. The engine would turn just fine when starting but would not start. Had it towed to my regular mechanic and he let me know today that it is the tipm which is currently unavailable with long wait times.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jun 162014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle began on occasion, to not start, to shut down after starting and for the fuel pump to continue to run after the car was shut down causing the battery to be run down. It has been determined to be a failed tipm unit at the cost of $963.04 for a vehicle that is 3 years old. The dealer ship is aware of the issues however Chrysler hotline said they are unaware of any problems and will not cover the part.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Sep 132014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle was having trouble starting every once and a while. The engine would turn over and over but would not start. Applying the brakes and pushing the start button would stop the motor from turning over. Occasionally the engine would start after multiple tries. However, it now does not start at all.

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Durango 8-cyl

2011 Durango with the tipm issue. Chrysler Dodge basically said I'm sol and so did the local dealership mac haik georgetown. Parts on back order and will cost $1200. No help from either parties. How many customers have to be in accidents be for they take action" I get a recall for a vanity light wire that may short after a headliner repairs....really, what about the fact that my Durango may shut down without notice, loss all power and possibly crash, possibly injuring my family or some one else" I left Chevrolet for defects and poor customer relations and now I will leave Chrysler. American tax payers bail these guys out and this is how they treat the people how kept them from dissolving.

- Round Rock , TX, USA

Durango 8-cyl

Noticed a vehicle starting problem sometime in early 2014. The starter would just crank the engine without it firing. I did notice the lightning bolt warning illuminated as the vehicle failed to start. I had to let off the brake and push the start button to disengage the starter from turning the engine over. I then repeated the process to start the vehicle and it started right up with no further problems & no lights. This issue happened several more times over the months with the same outcome until August 31, 2014. On this date, the vehicle would not start after 3 or 4 times, also noting the lightning bolt illuminated. I then placed the vehicle in neutral and it started with warning lights extinguished. This happened again the next day on September 1, 2014 and again had to start the vehicle in neutral. While driving the vehicle that day I noticed the fcw light illuminate for about 10-15 mins then went away for the remainder of the drive. I have noticed this light intermittently while driving before and after September 1st. The start problem has become a recurring issue. September 9, 2014, it took about 15 attempts to finally start the vehicle with the electronic throttle control (lightning bolt) light steadily illuminated until the vehicle started. Once it started, the following warning lights remain illuminated: 1) anti-lock brake system, 2) electronic stability control, 3) brake, and 4) both left & right mirror blind spot warning triangles. In addition, the electronic speedometer read zero while driving. I drove a half mile to the store and turned the vehicle off for 10 mins. It then started normally with no warning lights illuminated. I drove about another mile to my house without any issues. I've have found numerous people with the same type of issues on Chrysler products and almost all have led to a faulty tipm with repair costs over $1,000.

- Grand Forks Afb, ND, USA

Sep 082014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start or if it starts it turns back off. It takes sometime up to 4 times before it will start.

- Holly Grove, AR, USA

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle tipm failure. Vehicle hesitates to start or fails to start. Fuel pump stays engaged until battery is disconnected.

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Durango

Vehicle stalled a few times and had a issue with restarting.took it to Dodge that following Wednesday to get diagnosed they found a couple issues the main one being the relay to the fuel pump located in the tipm was inop and causing the no start issue that made the vehicle eventually totally shut off. Replaced the vehicle battery the next week and the same issue exists. Every time when the vehicle was jumpstarted it remained to operate until the night when it was dead no response. Seems as though the vehicle times out and defaults to the totally dead mode until jumpstarted the next day.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Durango 6-cyl

My car was having trouble accelerating and/or jerking during driving before finally not starting at times. The problem turned out to be the totally integrated power module; which has been documented as a problem by many Dodge owners in several vehicles, but there has been no recall, it as if the company is waiting on someone to stall in traffic and cause an accident or death before they respond to the issue. The service reps even denied any on going issue with the part in their vehicles, but when you search the web the complaints are well documented.

- Kernerville, NC, USA

Aug 232014

Durango 6-cyl

Since new this car has had intermittent no start condition. We returned to dealer more than once. Had fobs replaced etc. Dealer was unable to resolve. We had made an appt for a week out to get the dealer (quickest they would give us). Car again went into no start mode. We took to a different dealer. They told us they have seen the issue and would repair by adding a relay so fuel could get to engine. (star case #S130800039). They made the repair. We have not had issue again. This is a safety issue being left stranded with a car that will not start. Please require Dodge to recall and repair all like vehicles. Also require Dodge to reimburse those of us left holding the bill for repairs completed! thank you.

- Sioux Center, IA, USA

Jul 152014

Durango 8-cyl

The problem first manifested itself in an occasional difficulty starting the vehicle, typically after it sat overnight. Upon pressing the start button the starter would engage but the engine would not start. Pressing the start button again to stop the cranking and then re-pressing the button would get the engine to start. Weeks would sometimes go by without the problem recurring. Around the middle of July 2014 the problem started to get much worse, the car sometimes not starting multiple times during the day even after short stops. Around the end of July my wife had the problem happen to her, got the vehicle started, but as she backed out of a parking spot the vehicle stalled in the traffic lane. After that incident I took the vehicle to a Dodge dealership where they "cleared several fault codes" and sent me on my way. Three days later the vehicle once again wouldn't start, but the "reset and repress" tactic would work and the vehicle would run. Around August 7 2014 the problem got much worse. The vehicle took multiple attempts and 1-2 minutes to get running on several mornings, now though the vehicle would stall once started and before moving. Once running, in gear, and moving the car would run fine. Car failed to start then each morning Aug 15-17, taking 1-2 minutes each morning and multiple stalls. On afternoon of August 17, 5 minutes after making a dealer apt for next morning, I was driving at about 10 miles per hour and the engine died completely, power steering and brakes went out as well. Only after 3 minutes did finally using the remote start function on the key fob get the vehicle to start and run, this on a very busy roadway blocking a lane of traffic. Next day vehicle would not start at the dealer either, they diagnosed a bad tipm module and offered me a new module for $1200 or a "relay kit" for $587. New module cured problem for now.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number: 14V154000 (service brakes and service brakes, hydraulic) and campaign id number: 14V391000 (lighting). However, the parts were not available. The dealer did not provide a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contacts vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact was not experiencing a failure.

- Daleville, AL, USA

Sep 032014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Aug 012014

Durango 8-cyl

The initial indication of a problem was the vehicles inability to start (usually took 3-4 tries). Once it started the first time it would shutter then shut off again. Finally starting okay after several stumbling starts. It would randomly cut off while driving (makes the power brakes and steering very difficult to handle). The final time was when the transmission would not go back into drive (or park). It would act as if in neutral except there was an audible buzzing when clicked back to park. The initial engine issues turned out to be the tipm (total integrated power module). The fuel pump was being shut down by the tipm. The second issue with the transmission was due to a 4 low neutral switch being stuck in the down position. Both are being fixed my our expense now as they are no longer covered under warranty. These parts are expensive and caused some safety of use issues as an inexperienced driver may have had an accident when the power steering and brakes were difficult to handle.

- Layton, UT, USA

Jun 042014

Durango 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Dodge durange that has a failing tipm (totally integrated power module) and Dodge is aware of this problem however, will continue to sell the cars without fixing so we get so spend over $1,000 to fix it!

- Lexington, TX, USA