CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 13 of 16)

Jun 022014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle does not start. And, when it starts it stalls. Totally integrated power module is faulty and does not send electricity to the fuel pump, thus starving the engine. After a month the car is totally unusable.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jul 202014

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle extremely hard to start - can spend over 10 minutes pushing start button with no success. Fuel pump remains on when vehicle is off and parked. I am not comfortable driving this vehicle with these problems, as I can be stranded anywhere when the vehicle won't start.

- Haughton, LA, USA

Jul 232014

Durango 6-cyl

Tipm module is starting to fail. Vehicle is currently having issues starting.

- Cantonment, FL, USA

Jul 192014

Durango 8-cyl

Car has problems started. But not always.

- Valley Center, CA, USA

Dec 262011

Durango 6-cyl

From the purchase of the Durango I have had issues with the key fab not being recognized, not starting, and the rear camera not working. Three weeks ago I put the car in reverse and it started turning over (trying to start again, while on). Since its a push button start I tried to turn it off and tried for about 5 minutes before it finally would go back into park and turn off. I have been in contact with two dealers for the duration of the issue and both have either ignored the problem or charged me to fix something. The most recent was having a "no start situation" where the fuel relay needed to be replaced. Supposedly this was going to fix all my problems. The day after getting the car back, it failed. No start while sitting in front of a customers house. And of course, the three warranty's I have do not cover the issue and since they never "diagnosed" the problem when I brought it in days after purchase I am to pay all out of pocket fees.

- Fallbrook, CA, USA

Jul 112014

Durango 6-cyl

When attempting to use the push button ignition to start the vehicle, the vehicle crank over to start and then stutter out or crank to start and get stuck cranking until operator shut it down- sometimes would not shut down immediately but keep stuttering for a short period of time. Upon bringing to dealership, the mechanic identified issues w/ lariant #5 stating need to be replaced with the new style lariant #6. dealership informed me- not covered under any type of warranty. Why not" what is wrong with lariant #5 that needed to be upgraded to a new version" after researching online, multiple owners of the 2011 Durango have reported issues of this same part. An investigation needs to be performed on this faulty part from the factory. Dodge is aware of this safety issue and has done nothing to resolve and no recall has been issued. This has resulted in heavy consumer out of pocket costs for a newer vehicle.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jul 032014

Durango

Woke up the day before the fourth of July and got myself and the kids ready to travel out of town. Loaded everyone in the car and the truck wouldn't start. I pushed the button and it acted like it would start but it would never turn over. I tried for twenty minutes and could not get it started. I had to get it towed to the dealership. They first said it was a wiring and it would be couple of days. But then they called back today and said it is the tipm and they are not sure how long it will be because they have to order the part and it will take "awhile" to get it in. This is my only vehicle to get me to work and three kids to all the places they have to be. This is going to be a headache and the price went from 200 dollars to over 1,000 dollars. I could take that and use it on a downpayment for something else. Chrysler is way out of line allowing consumers to deal with a problem that they created.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Jul 052014

Durango

On Saturday morning I attempted to crank my 2011 Dodge Durango my push start and it tried to crank but would not. I had to remove the push start button and crank the car manually, which took several attempts. After I got it started I had no more trouble that day. On Sunday the problem got worse. It again had to remove the remote start botton because the car would continuously try to start without success. When we would get the car started it would immediately die. After several attempts and pressing the gas we were able to get the car started. I began to read online and found that thousands of people are having the same issue and that it is a fualty tipm. I contacted the Dodge dealer and have an appointment to take my car in. Not happy!!

- Atlanta, TX, USA

Jun 262014

Durango

My 2011 Dodge Durango has been having trouble starting over the past few days. It would not start and just kept trying to turn over. Eventually after a few attempts it would start. Then today it started and after I left the house and was driving with my 3yr old in the car, the Durango stalled in the middle of the road. Thankfully I was approaching a stop sign so I was not going very fast. It started up again but now tonight it sounds like there is a fan running under my car, and the car is off. I am very concerned about all of the things I have been reading about this issue and I believe this is a huge safety concern that needs to be addressed immediately!!!!

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Jun 252014

Durango 8-cyl

Problems I've seen over the last year that seem to be related to faulty tipm: - failure to detect key - thinks key has left vehicle - remote start disabled - failure to start vehicle - "key battery low" message (key batteries are in fact full charge) - while driving: - battery light comes on (nearly every time the vehicle is driven) - entire dash 'reboots' or resets completely - have had alternator and remote start module replaced (under warranty) - paid to have battery replaced at about 2.5 years into ownership not once has any service person even mentioned tipm.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Jun 202014

Durango 8-cyl

On June 20, 2014, my Dodge Durango citadel stalled in traffic at 50 mph, almost causing a horrible accident. This was the 2nd time it had occurred. I coasted the vehicle to a side street.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Apr 232014

Durango 8-cyl

While driving 65 mph on a highway, my Durango citadel stalled in traffic, almost creating a horrible accident.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

May 262014

Durango

Durango had a difficult time starting, it would take several attempts to start especially after sitting over night or during the work day. Before I could get it to a dealership, the truck failed to start (thankfully I was at home) and we had to have the truck towed to the dealership. After roughly 2 weeks the tipm was replaced/repaired and I picked up the truck on 6/10/14. The truck now starts fine, however, the signal lights do not work, now- and the fog lights flash when the signal lights are supposed to be on! in many cases I have heard this also affects my brake lights!! my legal vehicle is now illegal and not at my own fault but through Chrysler/Dodge.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jun 102014

Durango

The truck don't start is a problem with the push start

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 072014

Durango

My 2011 Dodge Durango cranks but wont turn over after several tries it would start and after a few days it just wouldn't turn on at all.so I had to call a tow truck to tow it in to dealership.still had extended warranty on my Durango so I took it back to dealership and they informed me they would have to replace my tipm and all I had to pay was my deductible.so I picked it up when they fixed it. Drove it home and put about 30 miles on it and my engine light came back on so I called and they had me take it back the next morning now they said it was an ignition coil and expected me to pay my deductible again. After some discussion they waved to fee.and I received my car back after another day in a half. I drove it home and as I got there we noticed the right front turn signal didn't work instead my fog lights would blink so I called dealership and they said they needed some codes to reprogram the turn signal. I had only put about 15 miles on it since I picked it up and my engine light is back on again. So here I go 4th day back to dealership and its so frustrating that no one cares after so many complaints on this part (tipm).I guess they are waiting till someone gets hurt or dies. Like the case with GM and there faulty ignition switch. I was lucky my Durango stopped working in my driveway and not on the road cause I have 3 small children and they are always with me.just pray to god that nothing happens to my children.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 042014

Durango 6-cyl

Car just shut off while pulling out into a busy intersection, would not restart. The starter would engage but it would not start the car...car engine would sputter continuously. Loss of power, and electricity. Almost caused me to get hit from the side while my 2 kids were in back seat!!!!!! the other car slammed on breaks stopping mere inches from the driver-side. A 5 car pile up behind him occurred due to this matter! a gentleman pushed me to the side of the road where I waited for a tow truck. Before the tow truck arrived I researched problems this vehicle only to find that I'm not the only one that has had this happen!!!!! after the car was turned off for a while, I tried to start it and it would start after several attempts and my pumping the gas pedal to keep it at a idle until the engine caught on that it was supposed to be running. I avoided the tow fine but drove my car to the autozone 1/2 mile up the road (same side of the road...too scared to cross intersections). There was no diagnostic code found, which come to find out is also common when the tipm is faulty! every time 3 out of 5 times I try to start my car I have to go through the same thing. This car is not safe and it needs to be fixed asap. I have a family and a job that need this car to operate efficiently.

- Raeford, NC, USA

Jan 302013

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the turning signals would not operate, the vehicle would stall sporadically and the would occasionally fail to accelerate. The vehicle would operate normally once restarted after stalling, but the failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the totally integrated power module had malfunctioned. The vehicle was repaired but the failure was not remedied. The contact also indicated that the rear hatch would independently open and the door locks were also malfunctioning. The contact became locked in the vehicle for 20 minutes before the power door locks became operable. The vehicle was not repaired but was later diagnosed with a 4-wheel low lock switch failure when it rolled downhill while secured in park. The switch was replaced and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Jul 292013

Durango 8-cyl

Wont start just cranks and wont turn over. If start after sever times lost compression and shut down even driving it. Trembling and shaking when its starts if its starts. Not to able to start, shut off without warnings.

- Riverview, FL, USA

May 052014

Durango 6-cyl

The vehicle started smoking while parked. Vehicle will not start. It was taken to a collision center, but they couldn't figure out what the problem is. The vehicle was later taken to the Dodge dealer and they still have not determined the problem or cause. Their guess is that there was a shortage, or problems with the tipm (totally integrated power modules) and they also have not been able to start the vehicle.

- Midland, GA, USA

Apr 172014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle would not start, would start then it would shut off within a few seconds of being on, this would be repeated several times before the vehicle would stay on and we could drive it. Sometimes it would be fine for the rest of the day, other times it would be a continued problem throughout the same day. This has been ongoing since the first incident back in April 2014. We notified the dealer the problem still existed, but they did not find a solution. We informed the dealer of problems with the tipm module and that we felt this was the problem, the dealer denied this was the problem and said that the battery was the problem. We are extremely concerned that the fuel line relay remains active and engaged while the vehicle is standing, this could be potentially life threatening if it were to be rear ended or hit by a moving vehicle. We are concerned that our children, anyone in the vehicle could be seriously injured or killed if this were to happen. With hundreds of complaints from consumers with Chrysler/Dodge vehicles experiencing the very same problem and with a national back order on the very part that needs fixing, we find it unconscionable that there hasn't been a recall!!

- Killeen, TX, USA