CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 2 of 16)

Sep 052016

Durango

Even after the recall for the fuel pump relay it was replaced, the entire tipm went out while I was driving on the highway

- Cordova, TN, USA

Sep 042016

Durango

Vehicle in motion traveling at 65 mph. Vehicle lost all engine and electrical power. No lights or indicators on dashboard. No power steering. Limited braking power. Coasted the vehicle out of traffic to the shoulder of the road. Shifted vehicle into park and waited 5 minutes. After 5 minutes electrical power returned and was able to start vehicle and drive it home. Found complaints online of similar problems.

- Nashotah, WI, USA

Aug 262016

Durango

On Friday, August 26th 2016, I was driving to richmond, va from newport news, va when my battery warning light came on. I pulled over, turned the vehicle off, sat for a few minutes and restarted the vehicle. The light did not come back on. I decided to make a stop in williamsburg to the outlet stores and the battery warning light came on again. While turning into the stores' parking lot, all warning lights and electrical system started flashing. Right before parking the vehicle completely shut down/off. The vehicle smelled like something was burning, but no obvious fire. The outlets security came over and hooked up a jump box to the battery. He stated the battery appears low. He tried to jump the battery with the jump box, but it would not start. He tried with his security vehicle and my vehicle and the connections started smoking. After approximately 3 hours, waited on a friend to arrive, called triple a and the representative connected his jump box to my vehicle battery. The vehicle started but as soon as the jump box removed, the vehicle would die back down. The triple a representative and myself determined that the alternator is bad and drained the battery. Had the vehicle towed to pomoco Dodge dealership in newport news, va. Researched information and there is a recall named P60 for 2011 Dodge Durango's with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator. My vehicle is a 2011 Dodge Durango with a 3.6L engine and a 220 amp alternator. Contacted Chrysler Dodge and they stated that my VIN doesn't quaility, but they will log my information. After conducting more research, this issue has many complaints on all 2011 Dodge Durango's no matter the alternator amp (160, 180, 220). The recall should be expanded to cover all the 2011 Dodge Durangos as it is very common, very dangerous, and definitely a safety hazard. Could have happened while on the interstated w/ my daughters

- Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 242016

Durango

While driving the Durango, the dash lights started flashing, the battery light came on and heat started coming out of the floor vents. Pulled the vehicle to the side of the road and turned off. While attempting to start, the entire electrical system was non-responsive. When attaching jumper cables to provide electricity to put the vehicle in neutral so it could be towed, the cables got very hot very quickly and the towing company said that indicated there could be a "dead short" in the electrical system. Further research indicates that this was a reported problem and there is a recall for the 2011 Dodge Durangos, but when I entered my VIN number into the database, it did not indicate that my vehicle was part of the recall. To me, this is clearly a mistake or oversight as my vehicle obviously died while in the process of driving it. It would be greatly appreciated that further review of the affected vehicles be completed and reimbursement be made for repairs completed at my expense.

- West Plains, MO, USA

Aug 112016

Durango

68000 miles, while driving battery light indicator came on, a burning smell was present, coming from the engine. A mile or two down the road, smoke started to come from under the hood. I pulled over, turned vehicle off. Looked under hood, all looked normal, smoking stopped. Turned vehicle back on, battery light was not lit, proceeded to drive another half a mile fine. When I got back in later on that day, no indicator lights initially, then while driving about a mile or so, battery light appeared, then check engine light, then A/C started blasting hot air, dash board starting going haywire with light indicators and message appearing, wind shield wipers started going on its own and acceleration was difficult. Pulled over and restarted the vehicle. Turned it back on, lights were still present. Made it another 2 miles and the vehicle stalled while driving in the street and would not restart. Had it towed to the local Dodge dealership for repair. They determined it was the alternator burned out, and as a result a new battery was needed as well. $1350 later!!! thank goodness towing was covered under my insurance policy, because Dodge claims this repair is not under warranty! it should be!! very unsafe and too young of a vehicle for this kind of repair! there is current recall for this type of repair for 160 amp alternator, it should be for 180 amp alternator as well!!! P60 is Chrysler's recall number for this.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Mar 152016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Houghson, CA, USA

Aug 052016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Edgewood, FL, USA

Mar 022016

Durango

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting) however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

Aug 012016

Durango

Nothing has happened......yet. 1st recall on the sun visor vanity lamp was fixed over one year ago. Got another recall for same thing in Feb 2016. Called dealership, they said they didn't have the parts for repair yet, they'd call when they get them in. Got another notice for same recall on 8/01/16. Called dealership....same answer. They're telling me it's all up to Chrysler to send them the parts.

- Columbus, Oh, OH, USA

Jul 312016

Durango

At under 60000 miles, alternator malfunctioned and quit, thus leaving the vehicle inoperable. Vehicle was in motion when failing.

- Napoleon, OH, USA

Feb 162016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed engine oil leaking from the timing chain into the alternator. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the left cylinder and timing chain gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. A few months later, while driving 25 mph, the battery warning light illuminated. After shifting the vehicle into park, the contact noticed smoke coming from the alternator. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system), but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Jul 112016

Durango

I was driving with my kids getting our day started. I turn on with remote start was making loud screeching sound. Loaded up kids and started to take off. We could all smell a bad burning smell. I check all temps on car and nothing read high temperature. I drove on my way to daycare when my car stalled and shut down. And it had previously did this B4 like 4 months or so and a recall of fuel pump was done and had been running fine till this day. I tried starting it a few times nothing. Finally turn on and battery light came on. I drove it to drop of my 3 kids at camp when it kept feeling like it wanted to turn of. Still smelling burning. Finally I'm headed to work and it stalled in middle of intersection. Thank god I didn't have my kids with me and no accidents happened. I had car towed to local mechanic because dealership is and hour away. He said alternator gave out. Put new alternator in still nothing. 600 dollars down drain. Now I have to pay towing to get to dealership which will mean just more money down the drain which I don't have the extra money and use this car for wk so hopefully I don't lose my job. I don't understand how I have same exact problems as another 2011 Durango under recall but mine ain't one of them. Do you have to wait till someone is seriously hurt or killed to have a recall. If none of this is resolved properly I will be hiring a lawyer. I have only had vehicle for 2yrs.

- Las Vegas, NM, USA

Jun 292016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving 15 mph, the air conditioning blew hot air and the instrument panel lighting went haywire. The vehicle started to lose power and acceleration. The contact pulled over, and turned off and restarted the vehicle. To ensure that the vehicle was fine, the contact depressed the accelerator pedal to allow the engine to rev. Afterwards, the contact was able to drive the vehicle without failure and there were no warning lights illuminated. However, after driving a few miles longer, the power steering and power brakes failed. Shortly after, the vehicle lost all power. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home where it had not been able to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Cowansville, PA, USA

Jun 302016

Durango

After driving less than a mile from home, vehicle began smoking and a hole burned through the headliner at the sun visor. It has been towed to huffines lewisville for repair. Related recall 15V-879

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jul 092016

Durango

The battery light came on and then the vehicle shut down on the highway. Had 4 kids in the car. Could have been killed.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Jun 232016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving 5-10 mph, there was an abnormal burning odor and smoke under the hood of the vehicle. The contact noticed opened the hood and noticed that the alternator was on fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire. A fire report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Elmont, NY, USA

Jun 262016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery, alternator, and computer board needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Feb 112016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact experienced smoke fumes coming from the passenger side visor. The failure mileage was unknown. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Laredo, TX, USA

May 312016

Durango

My 2011 Dodge Durango started to make a "whining" sound when accelerated while driving on a highway. Approximately 2-3 miles, after the noise started, a light on the instrument panel came on. Luckily, we were just pulling into our driveway. My alternator failed at 56.8K miles. Apparently, the alternator originally installed was not part of recall P60. This vehicle has been recalled for every other problem associated with a 2011 Durango. Have never had to replace an alternator in any other vehicle I have owned with a lot more miles than this one. Seems like more than just a coincident.

- Amsterdam, NY, USA

Jun 162016

Durango

While in motion on city street, first my radio would turn off on its own, then the battery light came on, then all the service lights came on filled by my account blowing out hot air and then my car completely shut off on me not allowing me to remove my key or put my car on neutral or allowing me to put on the hazard lights on. It followed by a burning smell under the hood.

- Plainfield, IL, USA