CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 5 of 16)

Aug 032015

Durango

I was on my way to work today when I noticed a burning smell and then the battery light came on. Due to heavy traffic I couldn't pull to the side. I got farther down the road and heard a loud whining noise. When I arrived at work I contacted the local Dodge dealership to speak with the service department about this incident. I was told that it sounds like the alternator but that my vehicle was not covered in the recent recall since I have the 180amp alternator. The recall was only for the 160 amp alternators. I was shocked since my vehicle only has 61,000 miles on it. Researching this problem online I found numerous complaints from people having the same identical problem with the 180amp alternator (with the same make model and year) that caused the recall of the 160amp alternators. I have contacted Dodge to see if they would stand by their product and do the right thing concerning this. Once again they have failed me. Consumers are reporting an average of $1400 to have the alternator replaced with no recall or warranty. I have 4 pictures of my soot covered alternator ( I am a firefighter I know what electrical soot looks and smells like). This is very concerning to think I could lose my Durango could catch fire, loose power and stall in traffic, cause an accident or have my wife stranded on the side of the road due to this.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Oct 302014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle jerked and there was a sudden increase of engine rpms. Shortly after, the vehicle lost power and the rpms decreased. In addition, the vehicle failed to start intermittently and both turn signals on the mirrors failed to function. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. All warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jul 162015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 40 mph, a warning sensor light illuminated indicating that the battery was faulty and the vehicle shut off. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the totally integrated power module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was then towed to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- St. Louis , MO, USA

Nov 282014

Durango

I tried for 7 months to get the brake recall done on my truck. The AWD did not work as it should during a snow storm.. then the recall was recieved and none of the dealers wanted to repair the recall. They kept telling me they hadnt received the parts. Then there was a fuel type recall, a recall that the engine could shut off and some electrical issue that could cause a fire.. again I couldnt get any of these repaired. Then on the night before thanksgiving 2014 my heat went. On Friday 11/28/14 I tried 3 Chrysler dealer ships to get the heat fixed and schedule time for the recall. One dealership told me I was at the bottom of the list because I didnt purchase the truck from them. I ended up trading in the truck for a Nissan pathfinder on that day. And almost a month later I received a bill from a Chrysler dealer ship who had finally completed the recall work expecting $165 from me. I am so financially ruined from this.

- Wanaque, NJ, USA

Jul 152015

Durango

While driving, the car will abruptly speed up and slow down without any pressure or change in movement on the gas pedal. This has happened numerous times since about early 2012. I had a repair done on the car by the dealership as part of my warranty now these problems have made a reappearance. Along side sudden speed changes without me touching anything, I have had two previous incidents of the car (while driving!) turning on all error indicators (check engine light, high beam, hazard lights, tire pressure etc) and wiper blades simultaneously. These were very scary incidents, too scared to drive to the dealership I returned to my house (went to drop my son off to get a hair cut) and called the dealership in which my vehicle was towed the next day. I have also had problems with the fob technology in the keyless start of the car where I would put my purse in the back seat of the car, close the door and all doors lock and will not unlock, then I have to once again call the dealership and wait for them to assist me. One of the main reason I bought this car is because I was assured keys locked in the car would never happen, however I have had it happen to me more than all my other cars in the past. Now I have a small child with me and along side these recent reoccurrence of serious issues with my car and big recall by fca, no longer do I feel safe driving.

- Grayson, GA, USA

Oct 012014

Durango

Initially the SUV was very sluggish to start, the problem became worse to where the SUV wouldn't even start at all and would constantly try to turn over. This problem would get worse and make the SUV take about 3-4 time to crank before it would eventually turn over. This problem would continue fro about a week, eventually the battery went dead causing us to have to jump the car off. We had to replace the battery due to this constant drain you would always here the fuel pump tyring to prime in the rear of the SUV no matter what. Once an appointment was made with the local dealer and dropped off the call was received from howard wilson in flowood ms stating that the battery was too weak for them to even work on the car (this is when the battery was replaced) causing another out of pocket expense due to the recall. I was advised by one of the technicians from the dealership that the draw from the fuse would drain the battery. I eventually had the fuel pump replaced twice and was out of pocket over $800. The last time the SUV was in the shop they replaced the pump and I was advised that they hope that this fixed it because they were not sure if it would or not.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Jul 222015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Corpus Christi , TX, USA

Jul 162015

Durango

Several days before this incident my 2011 Dodge Durango started to have problems starting. It would try to start and never turn over and would take me several tries to finally get it started. I discovered online that there is a recall for the tipm fuel pump relay and that this could cause problems with the vehicle starting or even stalling while driving. I took my Dodge into the dealership and they completed the recall and informed me that in doing so the vehicle now started fine leading me to believe the tipm was the problem and was now fixed. I drove for two days without any issue. Then last night on my way home, with all my family in the vehicle the vehicle shut off while I was driving right in the middle of the rode. My lights and dash disolay were still working but my vehicle was no longer on. I put the vehicle in park and switched the ignition back to start mode and attempted to start it. After several try's of it attempting to start it just wouldn't turn over. I then tried to put the vehicle in neutral to push it to the side of the road and was unable to even do that. My vehicle was stuck in the middle of the road with no way to move it!!! after 30 minutes and several more attempts it finally turned over and was able to drive it home.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Mar 072015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. Upon entering the vehicle, the contact noticed that the led light for the interior of the driver compartment of the vehicle failed to illuminate without warning. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Sacremento, CA, USA

Jun 172015

Durango

I had smelled something in my car for a while and could not figure out what it was. About 15 mins into my trip, my eyes started to burn and tear, and my nose felt like it was on fire. But I got it subsided. Another 15 mins later I looked over at my passenger side window and realized my car was smoking and it was coming from my sun visor. I had to wait to get to the shoulder of the road as I was in the I-pass lane and had to get past a cement wall before getting my car safely away from other traffic. I stopped my car, and called 911. State trooper showed up, and as he was walking to his car to get a fire extinguisher, flames started. The car was turned off at this time, but the smoke started as I was driving. After the state trooper used the extinguisher, it was still smoking so he called in the fire department. They then ripped the liner down so they could spray the area with water. Once my husband arrived he then disconnected the car battery to make it safe to move the vehicle. We had the vehicle towed to the dealer where the recall for the sun visor was performed. We are now waiting to hear back from Chrysler to see what our next step is. I have a doctor appointment scheduled for Wednesday, June 24th to verify that everything is okay. Inhaling smoke and the fumes is why I am doing this. This is the first appointment I could get with my doctor.

- Pingree Grove, IL, USA

Jun 022015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 25 mph, the battery warning light illuminated and there was an abnormal sound from the front of the vehicle. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the alternator failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the part was unavailable to perform the repair. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- St. Ann, MO, USA

Feb 282015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system). While driving approximately 40 mph and attempting to accelerate, the accelerator pedal failed to respond without warning. When the contact pulled over and powered the vehicle off and back on, the accelerator pedal began to respond normally. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 112015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, all the electrical function of the vehicle failed. The vehicle came to a completed stop and failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the alternator failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Parey, OH, USA

Jun 072015

Durango

We where traveling on interstate from our girls softball game when we started smelling burning wires then gauges started acting funny and it just shut off almost lost steering and braking, I got it to the side of the road but with 3 ft still in the interstate, we pulled girls out and put them on A20ft bank that was behind a guardrail, while I looked to see the problem, I'm a shade tree mechanic so I started looking and see smoke coming from alternator, it was as hot a the exhaust, we had a friend tow it to the house, I call dealer they said their was a recall for the same thing that mine did but it was for the 160 amp alternator and I had the 180 amp, this is very dangerous and needs to be investigated to make sure all model that are affected are covered, I have replaced the alternator myself but if there is something else cause this it needs to be recalled and fixed, before a crash or possible a fire!

- Bristol, VA, USA

Apr 162015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 30 mph, the battery warning light illuminated, the vehicle lost power, and the alternator burned. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the alternator, PCM module, and wire harness were replaced. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Royal Oak , MI, USA

May 182015

Durango

My 2011 Dodge Durango crew says key no detected when I attempt to start the vehicle. I thought it was the battery in the key fob because the vehicle stated low key battery and took the fob to battery's plus. They tested the key fob and stated the battery was fine and didn't need to be replaced. Also the drivers side head and brake lights go out.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Dec 172013

Durango 8-cyl

2011 Dodge Durango. Consumer writes in regards to the totally integrated power module( tipm) recall notice. Consumer has previous complaint with different vehicle listed in artemis. The consumer paid for the repair on 12/17/13

- Accokeek, MD, USA

Apr 162015

Durango 6-cyl

I filed a complaint a week ago under NHTSA id number 10706397. My car is at the Dodge dealership for a week now waiting on an alternator. The alternator arrived today and was bad out of the box. The alternator was locked up. I was told it would now be at least 2 more days before it is repaired. It seems to me like there are alot of problems with the 180V alternators like there were with the 160V.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Apr 172015

Durango 6-cyl

While driving on a major road the car started giving me seat belt light alarm, wipers going on and off, rear parking system warning coming on and then the car just shut off while driving down the road. We were stranded in the middle of a four lane street which was very unsafe. I had to have the car towed to the dealer and was notified that the alternator and battery would need to be replaced. After doing some research I found out that there has been a recall for the same year Durango as mine but is not covered because the recall was for 160 amp alternator and mine is 180 amp.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Apr 072015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the battery warning light illuminated and smoke was emitting from under the hood of the vehicle. After shutting the vehicle off, it failed to restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Alvin , TX, USA