CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 9 of 16)

Nov 032014

Durango 6-cyl

My car started having trouble turning on and staying on. Eventually, after several attempts it would turn on. I took it to the dealer planet Dodge (worse service ever) to be told that the vehicle is under the recall for the fuel relay pump (tipm). The part is being manufactured by Chrysler which they are planning to fix it by adding a part but not replacing the tipm. In the recall it says the part required is not available yet. Upset I contacted Chrysler to be told to either drive the vehicle like that which can shut off and cause a crash without warning or pay $1,000 to replace the tipm. Now, what upsets me is that they do not care at all whether you drive the car or not and/or if you crash and to be reimbursed Chrysler has to changed the tipm (which they won't) and since they won't we will not be reimbursed. It is frustrating how they so nicely tell you to drive the car even though they know it can shut off without warning. Don't fall for the "refund" talk, they will not refund it!!!!

- Miami, FL, USA

May 302014

Car would not crank.

- Sarepta, LA, USA

Sep 012014

Durango 8-cyl

My 2011 Dodge Durango started having starting problems in Sept. Of 2014 and the problem became worst over the next several weeks. On Oct. 22, 2014 the vehicle didn't start and had to be tow in for service. I the was told about the tipm problem and that no parts are available and no date for delivery. Every day I have talked to Chrysler and the dealership with no future of resolving issue.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 032014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 282014

Durango

Over the past 2 weeks our Durango has had issues with starting. When using the push start button the engine will crank over multiple times and never start. Sometimes vehicle will start and other times it can take over 20 attempts to start. In one incident it took 34 time to start and even cause black smoke to come up from under the hood. From research with Chrysler corporate and the local dealer, they are aware of the problem. We took the vehicle into the local dealership for an assessment and we were told that the problem had to do with the tipm/fuel relay system. We were told they could not fix it because they didn't have parts to remedy the issue and that they hadn't received a recall notice from Chrysler corporate. From my research it appears the recall number is P54. Yesterday, on 10/28/2014 while driving on a major road at 50mph the vehicle with two children in the back seat completely stalled and died. Luckily I was able to pull over to the shoulder and we are blessed we weren't in a major accident or killed. I contacted Chrysler corporate and local dealer immediately and again was told they could do nothing about it. Not a loaner vehicle, not replacement of part at full cost.. absolutely nothing. This is completely unacceptable and when you put my children's lives at stake it becomes personal. The vehicle is now parked in the garage because we fear for our lives. Please help.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 152014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to start. Once it started, the vehicle suddenly shut off. The dealer stated that the tipm was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but no assistance was offered. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 33,700.

- Plainview, NY, USA

Oct 262014

Durango 6-cyl

1st time: Car would not start after getting gas, I was rving car just fine before this occurred. Went to start car, did not turn over, tried again push the start button and car kept trying to turn over with no luck, I let the car sit for a few minutes and tried again, it started. Day two, started car just kept turning over had to press "stop" tried again and it started.

- Cudahy , WI, USA

Oct 202014

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle engine would start with use of ignition button, then vehicle engine would shut off with out warning. At this time vehicle will not re-start with use of ignition button. Vehicle would just engage starter motor and not fire engine with use of ignition button. Starter would run on until button is pushed to engage the off position, with a no start condition. After several cycles of the ignition button vehicle engine will finally start and stay running. Problem is recurring often.this is absolutely unacceptable for any vehicle and the safety of its occupants. This can lead to loss off control of vehicle, possible collision and loss of life, at high speeds on the crowded interstates, or moderate speeds on small town streets.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Aug 292014

Durango

Vehicle does not always start the first time but stalls at random intervals. When the issue first started occurring, 2-3 times of pushing the ignition the vehicle would fire up. Now it takes 20-30 pushes before vehicle starts. Lately, I'm the last one to leave the parking lot. I recently called the dealership and inquired about the Chrysler P54 recall. "in the affected vehicles, the fuel-pump relay inside the totally integrated power module may fail, causing the vehicle to stall without warning." I was told that my vehicle VIN does not qualify for the recall. I have a 2011 Dodge Durango with the 3.6 L engine. My vehicle is stalling and the problem is getting worse.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 152014

Durango 8-cyl

Luckily I was driving in a non-congested area in a 35 mph zone when my 2011 Dodge citadel lost power and shut off. I was able to pull of the road and it restarted after cranking for a while. Starting seems to be a problem on some mornings. The vehicle will crank and crank then after repeated attempts it will fire. This vehicle has a 5.7L V8 if that matters. I'm worried I might lose power on the highway. Judging from an internet search this may be a problem for many owners of this vehicle: www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Durango/2011/electrical/tipm_going_bad_vehicle_wont_start_or_hard_to_start.shtml sounds like a tipm problem.

- Jamestown, KY, USA

Oct 072014

Durango 8-cyl

I had to have the tipm replaced because the vehicle would not start.

- Corona, CA, USA

Oct 182014

Durango

Vehicle will start sometimes after multiple attempts and then shut back off. Dealership agreed faulty tipm is the cause and Chrysler is aware of the issue. My VIN is not included in a recall for the issue, so I had to pay $1200 out of pocket to repair.

- Hiram, GA, USA

Oct 042014

Durango

I believe there is actually 3 incidents that are all connected. First was August 2014 check engine light was on and car was losing power. The dealer replaced the battery. I asked them to check alternator but was told it was fine. Oct 4, 2014 we where driving and the check engine light came on car was having power loss and engine began to smoke. Took to the dealer and they claimed it was a bad waterpump. They also did recall work on the braking system. Two days later the check engine light was on again and the battery light would come on and off. My wife and daughter were driving car down the road and car power system just shut down. They had no control over anything at all in the vehicle. Towed to dealer and they claim it was the alternator and the batter. I am sorry but a vehicle with 31,000 miles with proper maintenance and around 10,000 miles a year should not be having all of these problem.

- Miami , FL, USA

Oct 162014

Durango

I was told the totally integrated power module (tipm) was bad and needed to be replaced. Never heard of this part until my vehicle started acting up. It would just not start even though it was trying. I thought it was just a starter going bad or something small. Nope! I learned about tafn and the nearly $1,600 it cost to replace it. In speaking with the technician I found out that it could go completely out at anytime, and if it did, my vehicle would be dead in the water no matter what I was doing. Scary thought. Especially if you're driving down the freeway. So, needless to say, we don't really have a choice when this part goes out. What's sad is that the vehicle is only a few years old and has relatively low mileage. After getting off the phone with the technician I googled tafn and found all kinds of articles and learned that Chrysler has been struggling with this part on various models for several years. Hopefully they end up doing the right thing and covering this and reimbursing those of us who have no choice and have to replace the faulty part now. To not do so is putting our lives and those around us in jeopardy.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 152014

Durango

Vehicle has issues when start up. Push button start results in the starter engaging and cranking for long period until system shuts it off. Various warning lights illuminate on the evic and dash. Check engine light, low range light, traction control light, etc. Seems occurrences are sporadic but becoming more numerous. You can tell the fuel pump runs uncontrolled because there is the definite strong smell of gasoline when the starter shuts down and before the engine ever starts.

- Pennington Gap, VA, USA

May 012014

Durango 8-cyl

Been having this issue for a few months now and it only seems to get worse. First started out only having to try once or twice to get it to crank and now I have to try around three to four times. This morning was the worst it has ever been. And once it finally cranked I had all kinds of lights lit up. Brake, fcw off, check engine, blind spot detectors were disabled and stayed on as well as my traction control being turned off and my ABS light. When I started to drive I realized on top of all those things my speedometer was also not working and said I was at 0. I have also had my alarm go off in the middle of the night for no reason. This issue is really starting to get worse and worse and I fear I will end up stranded somewhere or worse end up in a wreck due to my car shutting off, and if I get in a wreck I don't even know if my airbags will deploy! very disappointed in Dodge/Chrysler. I am not going to spend my hard earned money to replace these parts when I was sold a faulty car from the beginning. They need to get this recall going and have plenty of these items in stock so everyone won't have to wait months to have this replaced! this is ridiculous!

- Greenwood, LA, USA

Oct 102014

Durango

Durango made loud screeching sound then battery light came on. Had this sound and light most of the day. Then car completely died. No electrical or power. Had a smell of smoke in engine bay. Durango will not start. Likely a defect of tipm module many others have been reporting. Will have to tow the Durango to dealer for repair.

- La Vista, NE, USA

Oct 102014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the tipm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 58,770.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle would not start after sitting for an hour. The car also did not run very well while driving. Dealer is saying it is a faulty tipm which controls the electrical features of the vehicle.

- Keizer, OR, USA

Oct 052014

Durango 8-cyl

After 3 months that the tipm was replace by external wiring the car start to loose power and turn of we went to do a diagnosis and the wiring for the tipm was bad re wiring so the car comp turn off by her self to prevent over power so da negros to do a complete stop because turn off by herself. Nightmare to drive on a street with to many lights to run. The god news is the dealership that did the replace don't want to they care of the problem now after a year with this issue and finally found another Dodge dealer that we are paying and extra charge for not being bought just to do the work again.

- Riverview, FL, USA