Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jul 312015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, the vehicle stalled and started emitting smoke. The vehicle was unable to restart. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Philedelphia, PA, USA

Mar 182015

The very first time was when I was slowing down from about 50mph at a corner in order to take a right hand turn, about halfway through the 90 corner I feel that the steering has stiffened. Looking down, I see that the tachometer now reads 0, and the engine has died. I cannot simply slip it into neutral and then restart it because of the car has a keyless pushbutton and the start button only works with the drive in park. I then have to armstrong it through the rest of the corner. As I finish up the turn to where I can safely stop and restart, I then push the brakes only to find that they are now totally stiff because there is now no vacuum left to assist. I end up costing to a stop. The car always restarts without any problem. This problem has persisted and has happened at least 20 times since. It is always is when slowing down from anywhere from 60 to 30 mph and beginning to take a right turn. I have never seen this happen when doing a left, but there are not to many chances to duplicate this scenario doing a left. We had the one recall for the fuel pump done so that should not be it. We have complained about this to numerous Dodge dealers and they have done nothing. One service writer said that he knew of the problem, knew that the fuel pump recall was not fixing it and that there was going to be another recall to fix the problem. When this happens unexpectedly as you are going 25 mph in a traffic roundabout, it is all you can do to try to steer through the rest of the traffic circle, only to find that your power brakes are failed as you try to stop to restart. This is a very serious defect that needs immediate attention, someone is going to be killed with this happening, either the occupants of the car, or the public. We also have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is doing the exact same thing, but more because it is driven more.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Oct 062014

Received 2 recall notices for problem with fuel pump relay. Engine could quit at any time. Went to bob lamphere's newberg Dodge after receiving notices. Was told parts would be in after 2 weeks. This info was provided on July 21, 2014. I would be notified when to bring in the car for warranty work. On May 5, 2015 I was informed that the parts are in and need an appointment. Nothing happened until I called chrsyler in Michigan and they were at a loss as to why the warranty hasn't done. My opinion, newberg Dodge just forgot the warranty work until chrysled called them. I am waiting for some one from chrsyler to call and work out a schedule to repair the fuel pump relay. Safety recall P54 / NHTSA 14V-530. Terry will woodburn, Oregon 503-981-1724

- Woodburn, OR, USA

Jun 232015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving 65 mph, all of the warning indicators illuminated, the front windshield wipers activated, and the engine stalled. The vehicle did not restart and was towed to an independent mechanic. It was diagnosed that the battery failed and needed to be replaced due to the alternator. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000: (electrical system). The failure mileage was 66,000....updated 07/30/15

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jun 152015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving various speeds, the gears slipped into neutral without warning. The vehicle stalled, but the engine was still running and the gear shifted into neutral. Once the transmission slipped, the rpms increased. The contact would have to shift the gear into drive when the failure occurred. The dealer was unable to locate any failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 54,800.

- Perkinston, MD, USA

May 182015

My 2011 Dodge Durango crew says key no detected when I attempt to start the vehicle. I thought it was the battery in the key fob because the vehicle stated low key battery and took the fob to battery's plus. They tested the key fob and stated the battery was fine and didn't need to be replaced. Also the drivers side head and brake lights go out.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Apr 072015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the battery warning light illuminated and smoke was emitting from under the hood of the vehicle. After shutting the vehicle off, it failed to restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Alvin , TX, USA

Apr 152014

Durango 8-cyl

2011 Dodge Durango w/5.7 liter engine stalled as I was turning onto the freeway on ramp. Pulled over and started right back up. Thought it was a fluke or I hit something. Stalling occurred again several times while slowing down and making turns. Happen once while my wife and daughter were going to store. She will not drive the car anymore. Went in for repairs several times with no real conclusion or repair being done. Finally went in after one of the stalls and by then the recall was coming out and the tipm and some wiring was replaced. Thought it was repaired when over the weekend it happened again as I was slowing for a stop sign with my wife & granddaughter in the car, then to me again 2 days later. We happen to live in a rural area so there is not a lot of traffic, thankfully. It is in dealership now (second week) and they are saying it needs new sparkplugs (which it does) but there is no way a engine should stall due to old sparkplugs. It's a disaster waiting to happen to anyone driving one of these. Everything up till this tune-up has been covered under warranty. It has stalled a total of around 8 times and all while slowing down and has been in dealership on and off for about a month total.

- Ludington, MI, USA

Jan 152014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000. Updated 5/11/15

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Mar 012015

Durango 8-cyl

I've had my Durango back to the dealer several times for the stalling issue. They allege that all repairs were completed in late November. I then went out of town on business for two months. I came back in late January, and the vehicle continued to stall on me while driving. They said the warranty work was done on the fuel pump relay in November. When I took it back in February, they replaced the computer and the keys because they said that the vehicle was shutting down because the computer didn't recognize that the key was in the vehicle and it shut down to prevent the vehicle from being stolen. On February 26th, it stalled while driving again. I left a voice mail for the dealership with no return phone call. On March 1st, the vehicle stalled while driving again. The vehicle is now back in the dealership.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Feb 222015

Durango 8-cyl

While driving at a constant speed of 25, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, lurching forward, then backed off, then accelerated again. It did this a number of times that day. I pulled off the road and stopped until the vehicle quit trying to accelerate. I was driving on snow/ice and it scared the heck out of me; I was lucky not to wreck because I hit the brakes to counter the sudden acceleration which caused me to slide. The vehicle did the same thing the next day while traveling at a constant speed of 45, and again on February 24th and today, February 25th. Yesterday, February 24th, it did it while in heavily congested traffic while driving about 15 mph. The sudden acceleration startled me because it lurched me toward the vehicle in front of me and I had to slam on my brakes.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Jan 162015

I have been having issues with the vehicle engine shutting off as the vehicle is in motion. Sometimes it restarts right up other times it takes a jump pack needed to start ir up. I have complained about this issue before. I contacted Dodge/ Chrysler recall center and I was told that this was happening because of my fuel relay switch that was already recalled and that the situation would be fixed once that was replaced. Well last week the relay switch was replaced on Monday and on both Wednesday and Thursday while operating the car at about 55 mph the vehicle shut off on me. Both times I was able to safely move off the road way. Upon trying to restart the car it would turn off just fine but never start up. Both times I was lucky enough to have a state trooper stop and jump start me using a jump pack. I have had my battery tested and it is fine. The dealer ship stated that there are no error codes showing up so they can't diagnose what is wrong. This is an accident just waiting to happen!

- Forks, WA, USA

Jan 152015

Durango 6-cyl

I was driving the SUV in about 30 degree weather attempting to enter the highway when I lost almost all engine power simultaneously the check engine light tripped. Luckily there were no vehicles behind me, I was able to make it to the next exit. The code tripped was : po6dd mod $00 engine oil pressure control circuit performance/stuck off. Is this safe" and do the electrical issues with the other modules have any effect on this"

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 252014

I have received 3 recalls notifications and only one its taken care off iaw dealer - ferman Dodge in SR54, tampa fl. I received a P60, P45 and P50 or P54 don't have the recall doc with me. The dealer is stalling on getting the parts according to them. But, I bet its a paying customer that comes with same problem and the parts I bet it will appear very quick. On 12.25.2014, I was going at 45 mph and suddenly and the speed slowed down and had to pull to the side, turn off the car and start it again, a verify scary moment with family in the car. Its been now 2 months since I mentioned to them the car is suffering of long cranks. Have to play with ignition to get it to start. The car only have 51+K miles and should not have this happen. Need to get this issue resolved or I will keep pushing to the top to get my car fixed.

- Tampa , FL, USA

Nov 132013

TL-the contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 55,000. Djr

- Fort Saint Lucy, FL, USA

Jan 052015

Was traveling 55 mph the engine goes from drive mode to 4 on the dash without changing the gear shift. Came to a stop on hill vehicle would not go forward when applying gas peddle had to roll down hill tried to move vehicle from park to drive gear on dashboard showed 4. stopped vehicle placed it in park then checked in neutral then went to drive but it would not show drive on the dashboard display shows gear 4. turned vehicle off then started vehicle back up the check engine light came on moved gear shift from park to drive but dashboard display shows 4 it will not show drive on the dashboard display but you can drive the vehicle it did not stall. Vehicle was parked until it can be taken to dealer to determine problem why the check engine light is on why the vehicle is showing 4 gear not drive on the dashboard display.

- Monticello, GA, USA

Nov 062014

My vehicle start to being slow. It does not star, turn off after start. Has a strange noise when running. I call de dealer, asking what happens if I have an accident with children. The said the insurance will pay. That they have not received the parts already and I have to wait until tomorrow. What will I do without my car for severals days? I do not have another one, the insurance says they will not allow me to have another.

- San German, PR, USA

Dec 062014

Durango 6-cyl

Check engine light started to come on and would go off on its own. Every time I took it to dealership, I was told they could not diagnose vehicle as engine light was not on. It also constantly stalls and parts are not available to get recalls fixed as informed by gossett dealership. When engine light was on dealership never had time to check it. One day driving at approximately 45mph, the car started to make screeching noise and the noise was extremely loud. I manager to get home as it was night time. The next day, I called dealership and they said that they could not see me that day and tried to give an appointment for the next week. I then took it to midas and $650 later they said it was fixed. Now, the transmission is not changing gears properly and heater sometimes blows air and then sometime does not...this SUV is a piece of junk and Chrysler group should be sued and made to take all these junks excuse of vehicles back!

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 102014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. In addition, the contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was unknown.

- Upton, MA, USA

Dec 032014

Durango 6-cyl

While driving heard low moaning sound, 5 minutes later (still driving) battery light came on. I decided to take vehicle to auto parts store because it was late afternoon (~7:45pm) to see if my need was a battery. I asked technician to come and see if it was my battery or alternator, as I opened vehicle door to pop the hood, the SUV was filled with smoke. The techs scurried to open the hood and waived smoke in attempt to remove the battery cable to disconnect power. I was rushing to get child out of car, because smoke was bellowing from underneath the hood. After technician removed the power cable from the stud under the hood, the fire and smoke from the alternator slowed and eventually went out. I called insurance company and had vehicle towed to dealer. Had I parked the vehicle in the garage for the night and sought support the following morning, I was informed that my 2011 Dodge Durango could have potentially caught fire in my garage, because power was continually being supplied to the alternator (over powering it). This is a serious, potential fatal system failure and needs immediate attention! dealer confirmed the failed alternator and is charging me $855 dollars, and required prompting to engage discussion on possible recall. Dealer claimed no recall has been formalized. Due to my disbelief that Dodge was unaware of this problem and persistence in questioning other potential customer complaints, the dealer began to advise that this was a previously known problem with "Chrysler" that is being fixed by refurbishing alternators and selling them back to the dealer for $500. Dealer also stated the I could request repayment for my services once a formal recall disclosure was submitted to consumers. I am furious to see that is in fact a formal recall; NHTSA campaign number 14V634000.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA