Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 012014

Durango will not start. Just purchased it a couple months ago and I have been stranded several times because it will not turn over. Have to take to a Dodge dealer and have it looked at, which the closest dealer is hours from me. Apparently a recall has been issued but has not been released so I can not go get it fixed. Very upset with Dodge!!

- Wray, CO, USA

Sep 302014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While attempting to turn on the vehicle, it hesitated intermittently. The dealer stated that the fuel pump relay was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Redford, MI, USA

Oct 012014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle would not start after sitting for an hour. The car also did not run very well while driving. Dealer is saying it is a faulty tipm which controls the electrical features of the vehicle.

- Keizer, OR, USA

Aug 012014

Durango 6-cyl

As of today October 6th, 2014 I am unable to drive my 2011 Dodge Durango. Since the beginning of August it has not wanted to start. It will crank like it wants to but nothing. The fuel pump will continue to run even after the car has shut off, draining my battery completely. Last week I was driving down the road at 40 mph and the car completely shut off. I lost all power, steering and breaking ability. Once I coasted to the side of the road the car would not start! it took me a good 10 minutes to get it running. Then it would idle very low and not want to move. This is my primary family vehicle and I will not put my family in this car. I would hate to be on the highway and lose all power with them in the car. Thankfully it was just me the other day. What angers me even more is that I am paying for a vehicle that is completely unsafe to drive and will leave you stranded. I have been told that the "recall" is not in effect and the dealer who services my car has not even heard of the recall. They did call me back and say they can't do anything till Oct 24th, and even then the parts could be on back order for months. Very unhappy with the way this is being handled!

- Saranac Lake, NY, USA

Sep 152014

Durango 8-cyl

The 2011 Dodge Durango started having issues with failed starts. It would take multiple instances to get vehicle to start. Sometimes the the fuel pump would continue to pump even though engine was stopped. This causes a very smoky burning smell coming from exhaust and engine. Took car to dealership and they report the issue is a faulty tipm module. The part is on back order but vehicle is unsafe due to potential issues with stalling while running. Repairs estimated at $1200.

- Mcgehee , AR, USA

Sep 052014

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle was purchased on 9/1/14 and began exhibiting problems in first five days. 9/3/14, the car did not start on the first push of button, but started on the second attempt. On 9/5/14, the car was running and in park, I attempted to put the car in gear (drive) and it began shaking side to side. The car did not move when I pushed the accelerator. I put it back in park and hit the stop button and the engine turned off. It started on the next attempt. On 9/20/14, had a similar problem starting, but this time it took multiple attempts and the engine sputtered a bit and eventually shut off. I tried it again and it worked. My daughter attempted to start the car the same day and had the same issue. 9/21/14 experience the same issues with the car not starting. On 9/22/14, I drove it to work and it started fine. Upon leaving work the car failed to start on three attempts, but eventually started. When I stopped 15 minutes later the car would not start again. I placed one foot on the brake and I hit the accelerator as I started the car and it worked. I drove home and attempted to start it again to take it to the dealership, but it would not start. After several attempts it fired up, but began shaking really hard side to side. I put it in drive and the shaking was worse. I put it back in park and the car began sputtering and lurched forward as the engine shut down. I was able to start it a few minutes later and drive to the dealership. It has been at the dealership since 9/22/14 and they have not been able to fix it. I spoke with a Chrysler representative who indicated that a recall for the fuel pump relay would go into effect on 10/24/14. The dealership has asked me to take the car until the recall is in effect, despite the fact that both they and Chrysler are acknowledging the safety defect. I refuse to put my family at risk in a clearly unsafe car!

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Sep 032014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. After the contact pressed the push to start button, the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred numerous times. The dealer stated that the fuel pump relay was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (fuel system). The approximate failure mileage was 36,100.

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Sep 142014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the engine failed to start. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled. An authorized mechanic performed a diagnostic test, which located a failure code at the fuel pump. The fuel pump was replaced, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,868.

- Snellville , GA, USA

Sep 052014

Durango 6-cyl

Initially it would not start up like not getting fuel. Driving down the highway 65 miles it quit running just lost all power. Now the fuel pump continues to run even without keys in vehicle.

- Cyril, OK, USA

Sep 162014

Durango 6-cyl

My wife had problems starting the Durango on Tuesday morning 9/16. My wife repeatly tried to restart the vehicle. When it would finally crank, it would sputter and die. If you tried to give it gas the accelerator would go all the way to the floor without the engine revving. After several more attempts it finally started and she was able to make it to work without any problems. As she left work the same problem occured turn the key nothing, turn the key nothing, take the key out, turn the key, it cranks and then shuts off. After going through the same routine over and over we finally got it to crank. We decided to have the car battery tested and it passed. We got a new battery for the remote but that didn't solve the problem. We finally took our Durango to the local dealership the next day 9/17 knowing they were going to charge $100 diagnostic fee. We explained the problem and even took the service man to the vehicle and it would not start. So he actually observed the issue. 2hrs later they call saying a problem could'nt be found. The test didn't produce a code. Ok, so we spent $100 dollars on a diagnostic test with no diagnosis. As we picked up the vehicle I asked the service man if they had seen this problem before and of course his answer was no. He suggested it was probably a communication problem. Well duh, something wasn't communicating. He tells us to make sure all doors, including the rear hatch are closed before starting. Not what I was expecting for $100. Well, he may have been telling the truth but I am not a mechanic and since then I have researched the problem and found many complaints regarding the faulty tipm. I ageee with others who have filed a complaint. Chrysler is aware of this problem and are refusing to take ownership. What will it take, death or a serious injury? I want my family safe. No amount of money can replace loved ones!

- Jackson, TN, USA

Aug 162014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle would intermittently stall during start up. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer on three separate occasions. The dealer was finally able to diagnose the failure and stated that the fuel pump relay needed to be replaced. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system). The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 142014

Durango 6-cyl

I have problems to start the vehicle sometimes the fuel pump does not turn on, I replaced the primary fuel pump and it was working good for 2 weeks after that, the problem came back and other issue when I'm driving, the car accelerate by itself the RPM's goes all the way up, I went to the dealer but they say that if there is no light on (check engine) they can't do anything.

- San Ysidro, CA, USA

Sep 122014

Vehicle having problems turn on it's to new to be having fuel pump issues very disappointed in this vehicle and reading all of the electrical issues this model has is ridiculous and something needs to be done about this car before it either catches on fire or someone loses a life!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 152014

Durango 6-cyl

This is the known issue with tipm failure, the car just stalled and lost all power and would not start back up. The engine would turn just fine when starting but would not start. Had it towed to my regular mechanic and he let me know today that it is the tipm which is currently unavailable with long wait times.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jun 162014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle began on occasion, to not start, to shut down after starting and for the fuel pump to continue to run after the car was shut down causing the battery to be run down. It has been determined to be a failed tipm unit at the cost of $963.04 for a vehicle that is 3 years old. The dealer ship is aware of the issues however Chrysler hotline said they are unaware of any problems and will not cover the part.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Sep 022014

Vehicle stalled a few times and had a issue with restarting.took it to Dodge that following Wednesday to get diagnosed they found a couple issues the main one being the relay to the fuel pump located in the tipm was inop and causing the no start issue that made the vehicle eventually totally shut off. Replaced the vehicle battery the next week and the same issue exists. Every time when the vehicle was jumpstarted it remained to operate until the night when it was dead no response. Seems as though the vehicle times out and defaults to the totally dead mode until jumpstarted the next day.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jul 152014

Durango 8-cyl

The problem first manifested itself in an occasional difficulty starting the vehicle, typically after it sat overnight. Upon pressing the start button the starter would engage but the engine would not start. Pressing the start button again to stop the cranking and then re-pressing the button would get the engine to start. Weeks would sometimes go by without the problem recurring. Around the middle of July 2014 the problem started to get much worse, the car sometimes not starting multiple times during the day even after short stops. Around the end of July my wife had the problem happen to her, got the vehicle started, but as she backed out of a parking spot the vehicle stalled in the traffic lane. After that incident I took the vehicle to a Dodge dealership where they "cleared several fault codes" and sent me on my way. Three days later the vehicle once again wouldn't start, but the "reset and repress" tactic would work and the vehicle would run. Around August 7 2014 the problem got much worse. The vehicle took multiple attempts and 1-2 minutes to get running on several mornings, now though the vehicle would stall once started and before moving. Once running, in gear, and moving the car would run fine. Car failed to start then each morning Aug 15-17, taking 1-2 minutes each morning and multiple stalls. On afternoon of August 17, 5 minutes after making a dealer apt for next morning, I was driving at about 10 miles per hour and the engine died completely, power steering and brakes went out as well. Only after 3 minutes did finally using the remote start function on the key fob get the vehicle to start and run, this on a very busy roadway blocking a lane of traffic. Next day vehicle would not start at the dealer either, they diagnosed a bad tipm module and offered me a new module for $1200 or a "relay kit" for $587. New module cured problem for now.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 042014

Durango 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Dodge durange that has a failing tipm (totally integrated power module) and Dodge is aware of this problem however, will continue to sell the cars without fixing so we get so spend over $1,000 to fix it!

- Lexington, TX, USA

Aug 042014

Durango 6-cyl

The issue started with intermittent issues when starting the vehicle (the vehicle would crank, but never turn over) in addition to other problems such as random puttering while driving and the horn going off for no apparent reason. On the date that the vehicle had to be towed to a Dodge dealer, I was unable to get the vehicle to start at all. The dealership's service department discovered that the issues were due to a defective tipm. Upon researching this part, I discovered that this is an extremely widespread issue for this vehicle and that there was actually a national shortage of the part for several months due to the overwhelming number of failures resulting from this defective part. Despite multiple class action lawsuits and the high number of reported incidents, Chrysler has taken no action up to this point to recall the part.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Dec 262011

Durango 6-cyl

From the purchase of the Durango I have had issues with the key fab not being recognized, not starting, and the rear camera not working. Three weeks ago I put the car in reverse and it started turning over (trying to start again, while on). Since its a push button start I tried to turn it off and tried for about 5 minutes before it finally would go back into park and turn off. I have been in contact with two dealers for the duration of the issue and both have either ignored the problem or charged me to fix something. The most recent was having a "no start situation" where the fuel relay needed to be replaced. Supposedly this was going to fix all my problems. The day after getting the car back, it failed. No start while sitting in front of a customers house. And of course, the three warranty's I have do not cover the issue and since they never "diagnosed" the problem when I brought it in days after purchase I am to pay all out of pocket fees.

- Fallbrook, CA, USA