CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2.7

2011 Dodge Durango miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Durango

On no 1, 2016 when I was going at work, I was driving on West park hwy (houston, tx), and suddenly my car stopped working in the middle of the road, all the system has stopped working, and the front car started smoking (burn, & fire). And I survived by the grace of god. I call the towing services so as to move the car from the hwy to my house. And I can't really tell you what exactly happened. But the constancy is, my car is not drivable until now. And my insurance company sent some expert so as to assess the risk, and they told me what happened is the defect of the constructor (Chrysler group llc), because there are more than 300 hundred cases of complaints similar with my explanations. And from this day to now, I am traumatized by this incident. It is the reason that I am writing to you so as to solve this hazard or main issue. And actually my car is parked at home (15770 bellaire blvd, #2107, houston, TX77083). My insurance claim number is: State farm: 53-0079-5S5. N.B.: I also attached the towing receipt issued by the towing services.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 272016

Durango

My 2011 Dodge Durango, 3.6L/V6 with 180amp alternator - alternator rapidly failed while driving ("in motion"), causing complete shut down of the vehicle and disabling both the battery and the control module requiring them both to be replaced. This complete shut down caused the ABS and steering to lock up and all my electrical including my flashers to not work. This is a major safety concern and is identical to the P60 recall of this same vehicle built with the 160amp alternator which is virtually the same as my vehicle. I was never informed of the P60 recall and believe that my vehicle and all others like it should not be excluded from this recall! fortunately I was not driving in a location with high speeds or heavy traffic at that moment but had it failed only minutes later someone could have been seriously injured or killed because of this design flaw. Clearly this is a major safety issue and just because the alternators are slightly different amp then that of the current recall those vehicles should not be excluded from the recall. I have seen numerous similar complaints from other owners with the 180amp alternator. Please contact me if there are any questions regarding this information, including any further details regarding my receipts for repairs.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Jul 032016

Durango

My VIN number is not on the recall list for recall P60. But my truck just had to be towed due to battery light coming on and about 20 mins later smoke coming from the hood loss of power steering them a dead truck with a key stuck in the ignition. While driving before any of this happen there was a lack of motion on the truck it did not want to go. The computer system started to malfunction flashing on and off telling me to buckle my seat belt, which I had mine on and so did my children! now I'm having to pay a deductible because mine VIN is not listed with the recall P60. All the signs point to this recall I am not happy

- New Braunfels Tx, TX, USA

May 032016

Durango

I had a battery light in the morning, but my battery was new. As I was driving my air conditioning stopped working, my radio screen flashed, went off and the entire car died while in motion, I barely stopped in time. The engine wouldn't even try, and me and my two infant children were stranded in the middle of a busy street in 100 heat. The police officer had to help us, we called a tow truck to take us home. The mechanic who looked at the car said the alternator internally grounded and fried the computer and the battery and explains the burning smell just prior to the car dying.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 042016

Durango

Upon starting the vehicle in a parking lot, a dead short permanently damaged the alternator and the alternator permanently damaged the battery. This issue was sudden and without warning. The car was running fine prior to this occurrence. The short was serious enough to cause a fire, although a fire did not occur. I was told this was a fortunate bit of luck. I have been informed that there is a recall for this exact issue in other vehicles in the same model year, however my vehicle is not included at this time. I had to pay a significant amount of money for this issue (diagnosis, parts and labor).

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Dec 222015

Durango

Purchased new 2011 Dodge Durango in 2011, I wasl driving to work this week locally and Dec 22,2015 battery light came on. Before the light came on I was driving with kids in the card and smelled burning in car thought it was exhaust from outside traffic. Another day my mom was in the car with me going shopping and she said she smelled something burning. Battery went because alternator was bad as per the auto place the wires were burned according to autoplace alternator bad, I contacted Dodge and provided receipt copies from the auto place that the alternator was bad but they said because warranty was up at 36,000 miles they wont reimburse me and there was nothing they could do but to make a complaint to NHTSA. This needs to be recalled, I have seen over 400 complaints and safety issues, how many people do they want to get injured before they recall? dealership is no longer around. If does not get recalled I will make sure to turn this one back and never purchase from Dodge again and will contact the media to expose Dodge for putting not recalling this alternator and putting the safety of families in harms way. I hope nothing else happens, I am always in the truck with my kids and I am really nervous driving my truck now and worried if something else is going to happen when we are in the car. This should have never happened to a brand new truck. I have had used cars longer than this and never once had a problem with any issues with the cars. This is a serious matter and hope it can be taken care of immediately.

- Selden, NY, USA

Nov 252015

Durango

My 2011 Dodge Durango alternator went out and my PCM. No warning car just shut down. You need to do a recall on all no matter the amp!!! I will never buy Dodge again!

- Cypress, TX, USA

Sep 202015

Durango

I own a 2011 Dodge Durango citadel with 53,000 miles. Was leaving my house when the car started making a high pitched whine, turned around went back home, turned off the car, could smell burning when I got out of the car. Opened the hood and the alternator (220 amp) was smoking. If I would have driven any longer the alternator most likely would have caught fire and could have burnt my car to the ground.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Jun 132015

Durango

While driving on the highway when I come across a rough spot that is unavoidable (with all the construction on the roads) my steering wheel starts rocking and it becomes very difficult to maintain control of the car. It resembles a flat tire. I have to really pay attention and keep the car in my lane. There is also a very noticeable rattle/noise/vibration under the car. I have had the alignment done and even purchased new tires, but so far nothing has helped.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jun 152015

Durango

We have had many problems with this SUV since date of purchase. Our latest issue is the rear hatch will not stay open and it just slams shut and over rides the safety feature of if an object or person is in the way it would go back open. Currently as it is it would crush a person, the issue makes it so we can not even use our rear hatch. There was a notice sent out by the tsb on Feb. 1, 2013 number 08-005-13 about this issue and how it needs a new software update. I have spoken to Chrysler a number of times about this issue, they said we would have to take it into a dealership and pay for it to be looked at. First that is so not right as if it is a known problem to them and they know how to fix it, second the dealership I purchased this SUV from is 2 miles from our home they refuse to work our SUV and want us to drive 80 plus miles to have it worked on., this is not right as I bought it from them why should I endure the time and exspense of fixing an issue we have no control over. We ask that you guys step in and make them make right by this and fix this issue that they know is common for this year and model.

- Payson, AZ, USA

Aug 032015

Durango

I was on my way to work today when I noticed a burning smell and then the battery light came on. Due to heavy traffic I couldn't pull to the side. I got farther down the road and heard a loud whining noise. When I arrived at work I contacted the local Dodge dealership to speak with the service department about this incident. I was told that it sounds like the alternator but that my vehicle was not covered in the recent recall since I have the 180amp alternator. The recall was only for the 160 amp alternators. I was shocked since my vehicle only has 61,000 miles on it. Researching this problem online I found numerous complaints from people having the same identical problem with the 180amp alternator (with the same make model and year) that caused the recall of the 160amp alternators. I have contacted Dodge to see if they would stand by their product and do the right thing concerning this. Once again they have failed me. Consumers are reporting an average of $1400 to have the alternator replaced with no recall or warranty. I have 4 pictures of my soot covered alternator ( I am a firefighter I know what electrical soot looks and smells like). This is very concerning to think I could lose my Durango could catch fire, loose power and stall in traffic, cause an accident or have my wife stranded on the side of the road due to this.

- Lawton, OK, USA

May 062015

Durango

Transmission fluid is leaking from the ac condenser of my 2011 Dodge Durango. There is purplish fluid on my driveway and the condenser is covered in fluid. When I called to inquire about the condenser, the dealership stated that there is no recall on this part and the 3 year warranty is out. They want $110 just to look under the hood to see where the fluid is coming from. Chrysler is aware of the issue because changes have been made in the 2015 Dodge Durangos. Vehicle is running a little sluggish and I am concerned that this may also be a fire hazard.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 282014

Durango

I could not get any of the recalls fixed! 2 Dodge dealerships in my area would only look and not correct my brake issue. One dealership told me I was at the bottom of the list because I did not purchase my Durango there!

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 292013

Durango 8-cyl

Wont start just cranks and wont turn over. If start after sever times lost compression and shut down even driving it. Trembling and shaking when its starts if its starts. Not to able to start, shut off without warnings.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 202013

Durango

My SUV stalled on me while I was driving. I kept driving it for 2 days. The stalling continued daily and it took a few attempts before the car would start. One night when I got home and parked, it sounded like I had a flat tire. However, the sound of air being released wasn't any of my tires. The sound was coming from under neath the car like where the fuel pump is located. I took it to the dealer ship and they told me that it was the battery. I purchased a new batterey and tested it out over the weekend. I continued to have the same problems and my car started making a huming sound when on and as I would drive it. The day that I was driving it back to the dealership a bunch of smoke was coming in from the ac vents with small particals. I had to turn off my ac. My car has been in the dealership for a little over a week now and so far they found that the alternator isn't working.

- El Centro, CA, USA