CarComplaints.com Notes: When the 3rd-generation Durango was introduced in 2011 owners almost immediately started having a wide range of issues -- from water pump failure to stalling engines. Turns out the TIPM is to blame and those problems carried into the 2012 model year.

TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Modules) is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when the TIPM starts acting up, so do all sorts of problems in the vehicle.

The problems have been so bad -- and replacement parts became so hard to find -- that a class-action lawsuit was filed against Chrysler focusing on the 2011-2012 Durango. The lawsuit accuses the automaker of ignorning the problem until it spiraled out of control.

2012 Dodge Durango brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Durango:

2012 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 212016

Durango

Driving on a major highway in NJ on 7/21/16, all the car warning lights went on randomly and unexpectedly, windshield wipers went on on their own, radio shut off, all power was lost and car shut down almost immediately with limited or no braking or steering power and the car would not turn on any longer. I tried to make it safely to the side of the road (left shoulder was the closest) with big trucks and fast moving cars going by. Had it towed to an auto body shop which took 2 days to diagnose the problem which they deemed a failure of the main board which caused the alternator to fail which caused the battery to seize and fail as well. The costs of repair I had to pay to fix the issue on my 4 year old car with 92K miles on it was approx $1,500. The symptoms and diagnosis were almost identical to the P60 recall issued by chrylser but when I inquired with Chrysler about getting my vehicle covered under the recall and reimbursed for the costs of repair, they claimed that the recall did not apply to my car bc it is 180 amp vs 160 amp (?) but it is very obvious and clear to me that what happened to my car was exactly the same as the P60 recall. Not to mention it was a very dangerous situation that I encountered with my car stopping in the middle of a busy highway. It could have been tragic had I not been able to navigate it well. Chrysler is basically refusing to extend the recall to my VIN # and not reimbursing my repair costs.

- Succasunna, NJ, USA

May 102016

Durango

Driving on interstate taking kids to school when brake light suddenly came on and vehicle brakes were like pushing a brick. Had someone pick up the kids and took to local repair shop I use. They informed me that the power brake booster had went out and when they called the dealership for a part was told it was on back order nationally with no estimate of the time to take to get the part in stock. Best guess was 3-6 months. No mention that the vehicle had a recall on the part (P41). Item repaired with a used oem part from a low-mileage Durango since no other part was available to use. I still have the defective part that had to be replaced along with documentation from repair shop that it was required to be replaced. On interstate again today with kids in vehicle and suddenly had no ability to go above 20 mph and pulled over to have car towed to dealership. Was taking it in for fuel pump relay (R09) recall this morning anyway. Fuel pump relay was repaired. Dealership says the wheels locked up on them and recommended replacing the power brake booster and master cylinder at a cost of $800 since it could be related to previous power brake booster repair due to a used part replacement. I asked if the part was covered under the recall and explained everything and was told that since it was done by another repair shop and a used part that the recall did not cover the part and it would be out of pocket nor could I recover the cost from the previous fix even thought the part was on back order. Asked for corporate contact and was given (800)992-1997. Spoke with representative and was told I would be called back. Late afternoon I called again since I was still waiting for the call back. I was told that the entire cost would be out of pocket and that the recall would not cover part or reimbursement since a non-Chrysler mechanic performed the work and a used part was used.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Mar 012016

Durango

Brake vacuum booster failed resulting in loss of power assisted braking. The recall for the booster was done two years ago.

- Cuddebackville, NY, USA

Sep 112014

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic ), 14V634000 (electrical system), and 15V115000 (electrical system); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lyndon, KS, USA

Aug 192014

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic), 14V391000 (electrical system) and 15V115000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Plymouth, CT, USA

May 162014

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The contact attempted to make an appointment with the dealer and was informed that the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to do the repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Clarion, PA, USA

Apr 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received notice of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V634000 (electrical system) and 14V154000 (service brakes); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact felt that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Artesia, NM, USA

Mar 232015

Durango 6-cyl

I was driving this morning, approximately 7:40 am. I was coming up to a red light and my brakes would not work. I pushed on the brakes and nothing. It slid into another car. The front of my car is damaged. There was a recall on my brake booster; I had my car serviced months ago. I called the technician today and he stated that he just put foam on it.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V391000 (electrical system) and 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic). However, the vehicle was unable to be serviced under the recall because the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Jan 312015

Durango 8-cyl

My wife and mother-in-law where leaving the house when my wife went to use the brakes she had to press with two feet to get the brakes to stop the car. She reported hearing air when she depressed the brakes. I sent the car to darcars in silver spring md for the recall and I told them what had happened. They told me the problem did not occur when they tried it and did the brake booster recall on February 3rd. On February 13 leaving the house for work the brakes were very hard to work to get the car to stop. The brake booster had gone out again. Both times were when the temperature outside was well below freezing. I am dropping it off today again, my problem is if the brakes don't fail they will try to give the car back to me and from being told it had already had happened I would think they would know the brake booster has been damaged and would have changed it out instead of putting myself and family back into a car that is not safe to be on the road.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Sep 112014

Durango 6-cyl

I took my vehicle to don davis auto group in arlington, tx on Sept 11, 2014 to have my oil change and have the part replaced for the brake booster recall and was told that the brake booster part wasn't in. It mentioned that I would receive a call in a couple weeks once the part comes in but never got a call and was told that they haven;T received the part yet when I called back. I also had another recall but and it was never looked at by the dealer after taking my car there.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jan 062015

Durango

Started my truck and when I went to put it into drive upon applying the brake the pedal was hard and when I applied pressure there was a "hissing" "air noise". I thought that maybe it was just really cold out and it needed to warm up a bit more, so I pumped the brakes and it seemed better. Definitely didn't think that a truck I have had less than 3 years would have any brake issues. Well I was wrong...when going to pull out of my driveway, which is on a main road, I went to apply the brake and the car wasn't stopping. Quickly thinking I pushed on the emergency brake and stopped myself and my younger son from rolling into traffic going well over 40mph. If I had not been doing under 10mph my son and myself would have been seriously injured and possibly dead. I never received any recall on this truck but apparently after looking up brake problems on this vehicle there without a doubt is and I am not the first person to have the brakes fail on them. Very scary and now that my heart is back in my chest, very mad!

- Yaphank, NY, USA

Dec 202014

Durango 6-cyl

This vehicle has 2 recalls on it. The first is the brake booster. We were told we would be notified when the part was available after calling the dealer in February of 2014. It was fixed Dec 29, 2014. In Dec of 2014, we received another recall notice for the alternator, and were told parts were not available. On December 20th, 2014, we were leaving on a family vacation, loaded and ready to go when the vehicle failed. The car was completely dead and would not start. The dealer picked up the vehicle while I loaded my family in 2 different trucks to make a 90 mile drive to the cruise terminal where we paid $55 to park each truck. I came back Sunday the 28th of February and they had not repaired the car, stating they wanted $90 labor to replace the battery and $275 for a new battery, which was damaged by the alternator. After hours of calling, Chrysler finally approved a new battery, but the old one was put back in and charged. Due to being out of the country, I had to use E-mail to my mechanic to get things authorized. We did not get a rental for the entire week and my mother-in-law was left home without a vehicle for the week(christmas week). The alternator that was put on the car is still under recall and could fail again and we were told we would need to bring it back in for a new alternator at a later date. The new alternator is starting to make a humming noise like the last one and neither Chrysler or the dealer will do anything about it because it is still working. My wife will not drive the vehicle until it is fixed due to the warning of the car dying or catching fire and having our 3 year old with her if it happens. The trade in value is down due to so many being traded in and I will be left $10000 upside down on the vehicle. I asked for a rental until it is fixed correctly and was told that could not happen.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Dec 302014

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V391000 (electrical system) and 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Sep 172014

Durango

At about 54K/56K miles the airbag and check engine light began to go on and off. When I got it checked they did not report anything outside of air is system but that was covered in the diagnostic. Then the car would make sudden jumps for no reason, airbag and engine and brakelights repeadedly came on and off. While attending my nephew funeral I got it checked since I would be on the road for no less than 4 hrs. I later found out there was a break recall once I got that fixed (16 Dec) the dash was flashing everything airbags, brakes, engine. Once I parked the car the nest day it would not come on. A jump did not work. Had it towed and told it was the fuel pump system for a car just a little over two years old and that Chrysler was only paying for 2011 Durangos for this issue. So I am paying in less than a week over $800 for an item clearly thats an issue and was told I should have gotten an extended warranty to avoid not paying factory defected equipment. Dissappointed as I always buy american but chyrsler just lost a customer and gained negative advertisement.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 292014

Durango 5-cyl

No incident occurred. I have been waiting for eddy's Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in wichita, ks to replace a brake booster since July. I was placed on a list. I called them again in October and they said they were still waiting on parts. I am concerned about my family's safety. The weather is now cold and that is when this defect has caused accidents. What should I do?

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jun 022014

Durango 8-cyl

Received recall P14 / NHTSA 14V-154. Took vehicle in and was advised needed to order part. Part has not arrived and dealer does not have an expected delivery date. They only can advise to continue to call. And Chrysler continues to send me the notice (3rd notice) telling me that I should go to to the dealer for repair.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Dec 232014

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) however, the part needed for the recall repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Pardeeville, WI, USA

May 162014

Durango 6-cyl

I have been waiting five months for parts for Dodge manufacutrer P14 recall. I had to wait six months for the replacement of one shock asorber. Dodge responce was a "new parts hold" I called my local Dodge dealer (nyle maxwell taylor, tx) regarding the P14 recall. I was told I was #26 in line to recieve the proper repair. So I am left to believe that it takes Dodge six months to a year to finally address safety recalls. In the meantime I have no choice but to continue to drive a potential accident/safety hazard. Most recent recall is P36. I guess my vehicle has to catch fire before this recall is addressed.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Dec 032014

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V15400 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced failure.

- Logansport, IN, USA