Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: When the 3rd-generation Durango was introduced in 2011 owners almost immediately started having a wide range of issues -- from water pump failure to stalling engines. Turns out the TIPM is to blame and those problems carried into the 2012 model year.

TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Modules) is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when the TIPM starts acting up, so do all sorts of problems in the vehicle.

The problems have been so bad -- and replacement parts became so hard to find -- that a class-action lawsuit was filed against Chrysler focusing on the 2011-2012 Durango. The lawsuit accuses the automaker of ignorning the problem until it spiraled out of control.

2012 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Durango:

2012 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Dec 302014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V391000 (electrical system) and 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Sep 172014

At about 54K/56K miles the airbag and check engine light began to go on and off. When I got it checked they did not report anything outside of air is system but that was covered in the diagnostic. Then the car would make sudden jumps for no reason, airbag and engine and brakelights repeadedly came on and off. While attending my nephew funeral I got it checked since I would be on the road for no less than 4 hrs. I later found out there was a break recall once I got that fixed (16 Dec) the dash was flashing everything airbags, brakes, engine. Once I parked the car the nest day it would not come on. A jump did not work. Had it towed and told it was the fuel pump system for a car just a little over two years old and that Chrysler was only paying for 2011 Durangos for this issue. So I am paying in less than a week over $800 for an item clearly thats an issue and was told I should have gotten an extended warranty to avoid not paying factory defected equipment. Dissappointed as I always buy american but chyrsler just lost a customer and gained negative advertisement.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Nov 142014

Durango 6-cyl

Trying to start vehicle and will not start, when I turn the key it will want to start and get stuck in a starting position, but not start. I had taken it in to a dealership and they said they fixed it, but as soon as the next day, it did it again. They wanted me to take it in again and leave it there for another week, I don't know about other people, but I do not have an extra vehicle around to use to get to work. Chrysler/Dodge dealerships should have loaner vehicles or some kind of deal at a rental company for their customers. Putting us out of a vehicle is just not right! I called again to the dealership and notified them that I will drop off my vehicle today and they said they would not be able to get to my Dodge until sometime next year in the second week. Not cool!!! he said they had over 195 vehicles ahead of me........what does that say about Chrysler/Dodge! (vehicle mileage is approx., paperwork in vehicle).

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 262014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle will just turn over and not start. Tipm is what Dodge says but they can't fix it.

- Florence, SC, USA

Nov 282014

Durango 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled on numerous occasions. The contact mentioned that the battery would have to constantly be recharged. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The failure persisted and the vehicle was taken back to a dealer, who diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 02/09/15

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 172014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle towed to a private mechanic but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Hoodsport, WA, USA

Nov 172014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the battery was replaced, but the power continued to drain and caused the vehicle to lose power without warning. The dealer stated that the tipm was not regulating properly and caused the fuel pump to remain activated, which drained the power. The manufacturer and the local dealer were to be contacted in order to determine the remedy for the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

May 162014

Durango 6-cyl

I have been waiting five months for parts for Dodge manufacutrer P14 recall. I had to wait six months for the replacement of one shock asorber. Dodge responce was a "new parts hold" I called my local Dodge dealer (nyle maxwell taylor, tx) regarding the P14 recall. I was told I was #26 in line to recieve the proper repair. So I am left to believe that it takes Dodge six months to a year to finally address safety recalls. In the meantime I have no choice but to continue to drive a potential accident/safety hazard. Most recent recall is P36. I guess my vehicle has to catch fire before this recall is addressed.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Nov 272014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received NHTSA campaign id number: 14V634000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The contact experienced the failure but the specifics were not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Mcdoough, GA, USA

Nov 262014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing the same failures listed in NHTSA campaign number: 14V104000 (service brakes, hydraulic). While driving approximately 25 mph in inclement weather, the contact went to depress brake pedal and the vehicle would not stop. As a result, the vehicle lost power steering. The engine seized repeatedly throughout the day. The contact also stated that a foul odor was coming from the heat/air vents. The vehicle was driven to the dealer. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 61,000.

- Wappinger Falls, NY, USA

Nov 202014

Durango 6-cyl

Dodge has issued a recall on the tipm system for the 2011 Dodge Durango's. although I am having the same issues they are stating that my car is not under the recall as it is only for 2011 Durango's. my SUV is having the same exact problem but Dodge is refusing to fix it and will not provide any assistance.

- Orange Park , FL, USA

Nov 182014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle would not start, took to dealership and was told it is the tipm but that the part is on back order and they can't say how long it will be.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 052014

Durango 6-cyl

Same as NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000, my vehicle had the exact same symptoms: Will not start, start then stalls, fuel pump continued to run. Luckily I was at home when it happened. Finally got it to dealership and it was diagnosed as the fuel pump relay problem. My vehicle was not covered under the recall since it is 2012 but has the same relay and tipm as 2011. I elected to have the repair done at the cost of $530 instead of the tipm replacement at $1400. Please look into this further as there is already a recall on this same problem in the 2011 Durango.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Nov 052014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V391000 (electrical systems) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Sep 022014

I have been experiencing issues with vehicle not starting with both the inside push button, and the remote start. It has lost power while driving twice, however I was able to maintain control of the vehicle. Yesterday however, it lost power, I still had control of the vehicle while it was shutting down, then it "powered" back up, during which there was about three seconds in which I had no control over the vehicle. I simply lost all control.I believe that the vehicle may be experiencing problems related to the fuel pump relay, possibly the tpim, alternator, or a combination of all three. I am taking vehicle in Monday to have two recalls done for brake booster, and vanity light wiring issue. At that time they are going to do a diagnostic on it to see what the issue is.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Aug 252014

Durango 6-cyl

Failure of tipm (totally integrated power module) on 2012 Dodge Durango. Started with hard starting (long time to start engine), then led to vehicle starting and immediately shutting off. Finally, while driving, vehicle stalled on multiple occasions. Extremely dangerous, vehicle stalled on me while I was pulling onto a 6 lane roadway with other vehicles approaching. When vehicle stalls, you loose control of all power functions, including (but not limited to) power steering, power brakes, lights, windshield wipers, and (from what I've heard) airbags. Chrysler has done a recall on the 2011 model year vehicles, but needs to address the issue with the 2012 models as well. When I took the vehicle to the dealership, they weren't surprised when they found that it was the tipm, explaining to me that they were getting a lot of complaints from other owners of the same make and model vehicle. Of course, this all happened just after the warranty expired, costing me just over $1100 out of pocket.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Oct 032014

Durango 6-cyl

On Oct 3, 2014, this issue first occurred with my Dodge Durango. It took several attempts of the vehicle "turning over" for it to actually start. Then on Oct 10, my vehicle spontaneously stopped in traffic. Then it took several attempts to get it restarted. I had my codes and battery tested, no issues were detected. This problem starting the vehicle has been going on several times a day since Oct 3. attempts to contact Chrysler have been a dead end. I feel like I've been getting the runaround. A recall should have been issued long before now as I have seen several other Dodge Durango owners who have or are currently having these issues.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Sep 262014

Durango 6-cyl

Right turning signal turns on by itself and is hard to turn off, could cause an accident by having a car pulling out in front of us believing we are turning. Cruise control does not maintain speed.

- Fort Madison, IA, USA

Oct 162014

Durango 6-cyl

Car battery is dead, battery is fine, possible faulty tipm.L

- Wallington, NJ, USA

Jul 012014

Durango 6-cyl

Initially in early July, 2014 my 2012 Dodge Durango developed a computer failure causing the battery to eventually drain, loss of engine power and ability to maintain or accelerate. Repair was made after the vehicle was towed to the local Dodge dealer, manfredi Dodge, staten island N.Y, and subsequently the battery repaired and the computer replaced. Shortly after the repair was completed the passenger airbag failure light would intermittently illuminate and the vehicle occasionally would not start. Another trip to the dealer and the passenger seat airbag sensor was reported faulty and the vehicle tipm sensor needed replacement or repair. Conferral with the dealer suggested that the tipm sensor be replaced rather than repaired to assure longevity of the repair and overall satisfaction. Vehicle is a lemon!

- Staten Island, NY, USA