Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: When the 3rd-generation Durango was introduced in 2011 owners almost immediately started having a wide range of issues -- from water pump failure to stalling engines. Turns out the TIPM is to blame and those problems carried into the 2012 model year.

TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Modules) is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when the TIPM starts acting up, so do all sorts of problems in the vehicle.

The problems have been so bad -- and replacement parts became so hard to find -- that a class-action lawsuit was filed against Chrysler focusing on the 2011-2012 Durango. The lawsuit accuses the automaker of ignorning the problem until it spiraled out of control.

2012 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Durango:

2012 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Sep 232014

Durango 6-cyl

Starter won't engage after 4 or 5 attempts to turn the key, engine started. Tipm had to be replaced. Took car to be serviced at Dodge dealer 2 two times reporting that car will only start after 4 or 5 attempts. After 36K miles warranty expired took car to mechanic and he replaced tipm, car is running fine now.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Oct 042014

My letter to darcar regarding my Dodge Durango:I must say even with all the issues being reported, your shop and technicians are completely oblivious to cars. I informed them when my car was towed because complete electrical power was gone that it was due to the tipm issue. I keep being force fed that it's just the battery no crank no start. Even when recommendation present it's a possible tipm issue and I have a diagnostic ran I get some bs about another diagnostic charge because tipm is separate. So I told them to fix the battery issue just to try and prove a point a $600 point that is. Not only when I get the car does it take damn near 30 minute to try and get it to the front I see your technicians jumping my car. I though it was fixed? I paid for it to be fixed. So I try and put it in drive it shuts down. Oh well we going to put another battery in. Come get the car get it home to find out this morning same damn problem. Your service is terrible and if any vehicle has a darcar Chrysler Dodge affiliated with it I won't buy and recommend that no one else does. By the way I asked if it could make it to nc for my aunts funeral with my 5 children and wife. Sure it should be fine as long as it doesn't sit for long periods of time. Overnight must be a long ass period of time for your service thank you I will miss my aunts funeral.

- Glenarden, MD, USA

Sep 302014

Durango 8-cyl

My 2012 Dodge Durango would not start, the engine would turn over but not start. After 5 attempts it started and I drove it to the dealership and after test I was told that the tipm had an open circuit.

- Billings, MT, USA

Aug 142014

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle starts then stalls out, or just cranks and cranks, and won't start. Happened a few times at stop lights after short drive. Was able to finally get started to drive to dealer, was told I could either replace the tipm for over $1000, or do a fuel relay bypass to the existing tipm for a little over $550. Same exact problem all the recalled Durango/Grand Cherokee have, yet the 2012's haven't been recalled" why" vehicle left us stranded multiple times in fl heat with infant in car.

- Groveland, FL, USA

Jul 232014

The issue began as I took my truck in for a recall on the brake system. I informed that I was having issues with the cruise control system not functioning. Since then the cruise control issue had a diagnostic that darcars is informing there is not issue but no replacement or suggestions have been presented. I began having problems with the push start around 8/1. when trying to start the truck it will not turn over and eventually will stall out completely. So I attempted to remote start which worked for a couple of days. Soon it began to cause the same problem. Since then I have been starting the car with the key. Until 9/22, on that morning my son stated he heard a hissing sound from the rear driver tire. I also heard this sound at approximately 2:15 pm. Which prompted me to call darcars service center because a vanity light recall was just mailed to us. So I tried to schedule an appointment. Before I left work at 5:30 I attempted to unlock the door and could not without the key being inserted to the door. The car would not crank. I started realizing I was having the same nightmare as others tipm. The car is now being worked on but they are calling the issue everything but what it is so that I purchase a full pump relay, throttle box, and battery. Costing me 1400 plus 140 for another diagnostic please attach to P54 recall multiple stalls and non functioning vehicle.

- Glenarden, MD, USA

Sep 242014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. While turning the ignition key to start the vehicle, the contact heard a clicking noise and the engine would not start. The contact was able to start the engine after several attempts. In addition, while stopped at a red light, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnosed that the wiring for the fuel pump relay inside the totally integrated power module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 172014

Durango 8-cyl

This car does not always start and can stall at any time. Chrysler has recalled the 2011 models as of 2 days ago for a faulty tipm, my 2012 has the exact same problem with the exact same part and I am having to pay $1400 to replace it.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Durango 6-cyl

On several occasions my 2012 Dodge Durango would acted like it was having a hard time turning over when I would start it. One time all of my auxiliary lights lit up and then the entire SUV cut off. After I had my oil changed 09/08/14 my 2012 Dodge Durango started having even more issues with starting up. It would take me anywhere from 3-10 times to get it started. I heard a sizzling sound under the SUV after I had parked it and got home. The next morning the entire SUV was dead. My neighbor was able to jump start it, so I went and purchased a brand new battery. It still had issues starting, but after several attempts it would finally turn over. It even completely cut off on me while I was sitting at a stop light. Last night I heard the same sizzling sound somewhere underneath my Durango and this morning it was completely dead again. This time it wouldn't even turn on even after giving it a jump. Obviously it¿'s not just me. This situation is so unfair because right now my car doesn't work at all and the dealership is acting as if they have no idea what I¿¿M talking about. If I was able to ¿¿easily¿ figure out there is an obvious issue that we are all having just by doing a simple google search, you would think the ¿¿experts¿ responsible for selling me my car and working on it would know too. Individuals and big companies who take advantage of moral correct people always end up losing in the end. I hope they do the responsible thing and recall the faulty tipm associated with all of our vehicles with no charge to us.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Aug 182014

Durango 6-cyl

Totally integrated power module (tipm) - tried to start my car one morning and it wouldn't start. Made sounds like it was trying to turn over so I stopped and tried again and it started. Each day it got worse. Then it happened again at lunch and after work so was happening 3 times a day. Car started to stall in the middle of the street or make odd sounds like the engine was revving up. Almost got hit by a car with my young son in the car and started to get to a point when it just didn't want to hardly start after trying for 10 or more minutes. Took to the shop and after waiting for 3 days they told me it was the tipm module and would cost $1281.15 to fix. This was just today. I told him I don't have that kind of money. I went searching online wondering more about this issue and come to find so many people have this problem even a class action suit has been filed. This issue is dangerous. To stall in the middle of a street for no reason and then not be able to get your car started again is beyond scary. When this many people have the same problem with the same module something has to be done. Even someone in my own city had to wait for the part on back order. A recall must be done before someone is hurt or killed, please!

- Valencia, CA, USA

Sep 062014

Durango 6-cyl

Check engine light came on Saturday, August 30, 2014. Took car to the Dodge dealer and was told on Friday, September 5, 2014 that the issue was a faulty air in take sensor. On Saturday, September 6, 2014 the air intake sensor was replaced. Dealership was getting ready to drive the vehicle 30 miles to allow the system to reset when they discovered the problem was with the tipm (computer system which is the brains of the vehicle). The faulty tipm is preventing the fuel injector to function properly at start up so that the vehicle stalls and fails to start. After several attempts the vehicle will start but if left idle will stall and engine cuts off.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jul 102012

2012 Dodge Durango, 5.7. hemi, keyless start, auto transmission. Since vehicle was relatively new, would occasionally not start, starter would engage, but to ignition. Within the last 2 months has gotten worse, now approximately 70% of the time, vehicle will not start using the push to start. If lock the vehicle and use remote start from the key fob, will 95% of time start. Must then unlock the vehicle and press the push to start button. Sometimes the engine will at this point run rough and stall. Must then repeat the process. Rarely the key will not be detected while in the vehicle. Either key fob is the same and they have new CR2032 batteries in them. Tipm is at fault. Vehicle now has approximately 57,000 miles on it.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Nov 302012

The totally integrated modular engine (time) has had many problems since the purchase of the 2012 Dodge Durango. The SUV has stopped dead while in drive on interstate 95. The panel lights has all come on all at once while driving. The engine has stalled and would not restart several times late at night. The exterior lights has gone off completely at night without panel light notification. The fog lights will not work at all times. The radio at times will not pay. The push start button will not always start the vehicle. The engine permits a foul order at times. The engine has gone from automatic to manual drive without placement in manual. The brake pedal will not come back after being pushed to the floor. The mother board has had to be replaced. The entire electrical system has shut down - vehicle had to be towed to the dealership. I have been given a rental car 4 times for an approximate total of 30 days to try to rectify the problems. I have 4 recalls for various issues and none have been fixed due to parts are not readily available. Recall id's - April 2014 service brakes and brakes hydraulic anti-lock #102663, #102664, #102298 and July 2014 105085 - electrical system wiring. There are several class action lawsuits against the Chrysler group, llc for the 2012 Dodge Durango. I no longer feel safe in this vehicle, I can possibly cause an accident or someone can hit me with all the problems and potentially hurt myself or others with all the recalls and engine problems.

- South Chesterfield, VA, USA

Aug 082014

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle failed to start. Possibly ruined the battery.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Aug 262014

Durango 6-cyl

2012 Dodge Durango crew V6 tipm problem. Vehicle is starting to show signs of a faulty/failing tipm as many others are and recall should be issued by Chrysler as this is a known problem that has occurred in the past. This failure can cause the airbags not to deploy when needed and can cause the vehicle to stall without warning possible causing a traffic accident. The vehicle is currently having a hard time starting as no power is being fed to the fuel pump.

- Shoreacres, TX, USA

Jul 182014

Durango 6-cyl

I have been told that the tipm is defective. The car will crank and not start. The car says that is running and is not. It has shut off while I was driving.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Durango 6-cyl

Airbag light, then loss of power. Hard to crank and will lose power while driving.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jun 212014

Durango 8-cyl

I have a 2012 Dodge durange rt. When parked at a gas station, tried to turn engine on with push start switch and engine does not start. When pushing start switch again it makes the sound like the engine is trying to turn over but does nothing. In order to get the engine to stop from making the turn over noise I have to move from park to in gear. Then I receive the "ignition or accessory on" message. In order to get the message clear I have to turn off vehicle without pressing the brake. This puts the engine into the off mode and I have to start the process to get the car to start all over again. This has happened multiple occasions and I have video to show the defect. I have done research and read this issue with many people saying it is the tipm defect. Also, when using my right blinker instead of the front blinker working my fog lights flash. For the vehicle to not start or stall is a big safety concern and liability.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jul 072014

Durango 6-cyl

Tipm failed. Took over a week to order part. Car is unsafe due to this malfunction.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

May 092014

Durango 8-cyl

Our 2012 Dodge Durango R/T was purchased brand new as a replacement for lemon law buy back of our 2009 Dodge journey. The Durango is plagued with design flaws. The most obvious is the tipm total integrated module. The failure of this module resulting in our vehicle catching fire. The vehicle cranks but does not start at times, other times when it starts it dies in the street. While taking it to the dealership for repairs they would not repair it and another dealer denied the repairs. The only loaner I was placed in was a brand new Durango with the plastic still covering the seats, floor etc. The brand new loaner also contained a faulty tipm. We didn't even have the loaner a day because the lights were bright lighting everyone, alarm was going off driving down the road, radio was crackling, the instrument panel was flashing. Our Durango contains all of these issues; left and right rear tail light assemblies are dead, both front struts are blown leaking, spraying fluid under the vehicle onto the frame and brake(s), line(s), transmissions is leaking, high engine oil consumption. Our Durango is still under factory warranty, plus a platinum extended warranty. While our vehicle is covered under an extended warranty they will not pay for a rental car because the tipm is national backordered part. Please.... you have to recall this vehicle before others are injured or killed!

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Nov 052013

I was setting at a traffic light when my headlights came on and all dash lights went out, another occasion parked and map light came on and would not shut off also dash lights went out this is happening to often I have had it in the dealer with no luck I will not drive this vehicle at night because to me it is unsafe.this has happened five times.

- Clearfield, UT, USA