CarComplaints.com Notes: When the 3rd-generation Durango was introduced in 2011 owners almost immediately started having a wide range of issues -- from water pump failure to stalling engines. Turns out the TIPM is to blame and those problems carried into the 2012 model year.

TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Modules) is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when the TIPM starts acting up, so do all sorts of problems in the vehicle.

The problems have been so bad -- and replacement parts became so hard to find -- that a class-action lawsuit was filed against Chrysler focusing on the 2011-2012 Durango. The lawsuit accuses the automaker of ignorning the problem until it spiraled out of control.

5.1

2012 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Durango:

2012 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Sep 292016

Durango 8-cyl

In December 2011 I purchased a new 2012 Dodge Durango citadel from northtown Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (ndcjr), in tonawanda, NY. I am having an issues with periodic stalling without warning while driving. In April 2016 while slowing down to exit right via a thruway ramp the Durango stalled and steering wheel locked without any warning. I brought the vehicle into ndcjr on 4/30/2016 and was told that they were ┐unable to make any repairs because they could not duplicate the issue┐. in July 2016, my husband experienced the stalling while making a left turn. My most terrifying experience came in August of 2016 when I was on a main road in busy evening traffic, slowing down to merge into the left turning lane, and the car completely stalled and steering wheel locking again almost causing me to rear end the vehicle in front of me. I contacted ncdjr to inform them that this was happening again and that I needed my vehicle serviced. Northtown had my vehicle from 8/6/2016-8/30/2016 and I was again told, the vehicle could not be repaired because ┐they could not duplicate the problem┐. on the evening of Thursday, 9/29/2016 I was getting off at an expressway ramp and was sitting in rush hour traffic waiting for the light to change, and when I accelerated the car made no motion, I was again stalled without warning. Per their instruction, I contacted ncdjr and told them I was bringing the vehicle right over. They again could not "duplicate the problem" however they decided to put a tracking device on the car so that when it stalls again it can be recorded. I picked the vehicle up 6 days later on Wednesday, 10/5/2016. I feel that I have been more than patient and have been through all of the proper channels, however, I am being asked to continue to put my family, myself and others at risk by driving a car that is unsafe to have on the road in this condition.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Sep 262012

Durango 6-cyl

Pulled out into traffic and vehicle went into "limp mode". was able to slowly move to the side of the road but almost got hit. This is not the first time this vehicle has done this. This is the third time it has been in the shop for this problem.

- Malvern, AR, USA

Dec 162011

Durango 8-cyl

Brand new vehicle lease. At dealership when vehicle was put in gear engine stalled 4 times. Salesman entered vehicle and accelerated engine then put in gear and vehicle continued to run and stated vehicle was ok. About 30 miles away when coming to a stop because of traffic vehicle stalled in the middle of a busy 50mph intersection and was almost struck by a oncoming tractor trailer. After locking up his brakes an accident was just barely avoided. It took 4 tries to get the Durango to move again without shutting off. Vehicle is at the dealer now and they do not know as of yet what the problem is and refuse to give me a different vehicle. My family could have been killed.

- Southfield, MI, USA