CarComplaints.com Notes: When the 3rd-generation Durango was introduced in 2011 owners almost immediately started having a wide range of issues -- from water pump failure to stalling engines. Turns out the TIPM is to blame and those problems carried into the 2012 model year.

TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Modules) is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when the TIPM starts acting up, so do all sorts of problems in the vehicle.

The problems have been so bad -- and replacement parts became so hard to find -- that a class-action lawsuit was filed against Chrysler focusing on the 2011-2012 Durango. The lawsuit accuses the automaker of ignorning the problem until it spiraled out of control.

4.5

2012 Dodge Durango lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Durango:

2012 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Apr 012016

Durango

My 2012 Dodge Durango purchased brand new has been having major electrical issues since the motor was power washed at covert Dodge dealership in North austin. They had an inexperienced car washer clean up the oil that was on the motor from a hose change. He used a very high pressure, pressure washer and it shorted the electronics causing the vehicle to shut down unexpectedly with no warning. This has happened multiple times within the last 6 months. I have had the car at 3 different Dodge dealers trying to resolve the issue. On 9/22/2016 the battery light came on while going 75 on the highway. I smelled a strong odor of electrical burning and all the lights on the dash board came on, the blind spot alert system was stating it was inoperable, the ac stopped working, the seat belt light and buzzer stated to go off even though my belt was fastened and then the Durango just shut off, right in the middle of the toll road highway stranding me in the middle lane. The hazard lights did not even work. I put the car in park to try to restart it but it was totally dead, nothing worked and the car was stuck in park! I could not put the vehicle in neutral to move it out of the highway, several cars did not realize I was stopped and locked up their brakes nearly missing me. I was so afraid someone was going to run right into the back of me and the car. Major safety issue. I called the mopar warranty road side assistance and 1 hours later I was able to get the car off the 102 degree highway. As a result of all of these issues, which seem to have started when covert Dodge power washed the engine bay, I am no longer confident the vehicle can be trusted and be reliable not to mention the safety factor. As you can tell from the vehicle history, I feel I have been patient and cooperative in allowing Chrysler and the dealerships to find a resolution.

- Liberty Hill, TX, USA

Sep 302015

Durango

Dealer states tools & parts not available for sun visor resistance short

- Philipsburg, PA, USA

May 012016

Durango

Dash lights started flashing car shut off, charged battery, alternator started smoking, replaced alternator, replaced battery, battery is still draining.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Oct 072015

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. While driving 55 mph, the headlights stopped illuminating. The contact switched the lights on manually in order for them to work. The failure occurred intermittently. The contact notified the dealer, but the cause of the failure could not be duplicated. The approximate failure mileage was 23,000.

- Woodberry, MN, USA

Jan 182016

Durango

Iwhen driving vehicle in wet or long periods of damp weather dash lights will go out and when moving turn signal on dash lights come on and head lights go out.I will not drive this vehicle at night. Dealer can't duplicate this this problem

- Clearfield, UT, USA

Feb 052015

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 29 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate past 29 mph. In addition, the passenger side turn signal and the driver side tail light intermittently operated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the failure was due to cold weather and no repairs were needed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.

- Liverpool , NJ, USA

Sep 262014

Durango 6-cyl

Right turning signal turns on by itself and is hard to turn off, could cause an accident by having a car pulling out in front of us believing we are turning. Cruise control does not maintain speed.

- Fort Madison, IA, USA

Nov 152012

Durango

Automatic headlights will shut off unpredictably at night, requiring the driver to reach down and turn the headlights on manually. Potentially very dangerous as it is a distraction to the driver even if he knows where the light switch is. Very dangerous if you are driving in the dark and do not know where your headlight switch is. This problem has happened at least 20 times.

- Jackson, , MI, USA

Nov 052013

Durango

I was setting at a traffic light when my headlights came on and all dash lights went out, another occasion parked and map light came on and would not shut off also dash lights went out this is happening to often I have had it in the dealer with no luck I will not drive this vehicle at night because to me it is unsafe.this has happened five times.

- Clearfield, UT, USA

Dec 182013

Durango 6-cyl

I normally drive w/the headlights in the auto on position and all of the sudden the headlights and my dash light turned off, when I switched to manually turn them on they came on. This has been happening intermittently but I have not yet contacted the dealer.

- Galesburg, MI, USA