1998 Dodge Grand Caravan AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan:

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Oct 272003

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I purchased my 1998 Grand Caravan in October of 2003. I love this vehicle, it has everything I want and need. I purchased the same type of vehicle after the other one was totaled by a deer. Could you please tell me why there is no recall on the air conditioner" I replaced the evaporator in my other van and this one needs the same thing done to it. This vehicle was purchased in the cooler month, but now that it reaches 100 degrees here in Florida, I need an air conditioner that works. I cannot afford to pay $1,400 to fix this one, I did in my other van and am still making the payments on that repair bill. I have three children and cannot go anywhere when the heat is so intense. Many people with a Caravan have this same problem. Can you help, can you explain why there has not been a recall on this malfunctioning problem" thank you!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 072003

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

This was sent to Dodge's website email contact. I am sending it to you fwiiw just in case enough people complain about this. I really don't expect a reply. I just want to document my problems which are: 1. air conditioning compressor going out at 58298 miles 2. motor putting a connecting rod (we think) through the crankcase at 62,500 miles. The mechanics I know say these items should not have broken down, rather strange they say. I want to send you my gripe so that it is documented. After being towed 130 miles home and talking to 2 tow truck operators, a junk yard mechanic(ex-Dodge wrench), and a patron at my wife's restaurant, I learned that no one was surprised that this motor died with this low of mileage. They have seen it happen to others or had it happen to them at nearly the exact mileage. This may be, and probably will be, the last Chrysler I ever by. Honda and Toyota are looking pretty good right now. Soooo, if you hear enough gripes, maybe you will be forced to make this right. Regarding extended warranty, yes I was offered it, but refused because it is expensive and it shouldn't be needed. See Honda/Toyota quote. The head mechanic at my shop, with a fleet of dozens of vehicles opined the same regarding extended warranties, they are an unnecessary expense. Everyone knows extended warranties are a money maker for the seller, or else it wouldn't be sold, just like any other insurance. My 2cents.

- East Earl, PA, USA

Jul 012003

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Air conditioner A/C failed due to problems at rear A/C system. Defrosting/fogging problems were a consequence and created a visability problem!

- Dallas, PA, USA

Jun 182003

Grand Caravan

Consumer states that air compressor has completely shut down. Consumer also, horn is not functioning, and the warning light for air bags is on at all times.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Feb 052003

Grand Caravan

All of the original tires on the vehicle experienced tread separation.

- Naples, FL, USA

Sep 131999

Grand Caravan

Due to defective A/C system malfunctioned, causing smoke entering the vehicle which may start a fire. Previously, had problems with the ac system 5 times. Delaer cannot determine the problem.

- Brecksville, OH, USA

May 011998

Grand Caravan

Air condition ducts failed.

- Irvine, CA, USA