9.2

$1,800.00

2. replace transmission (2 reports)
  3. get a better transmisson (1 reports)
1998 Dodge Grand Caravan transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan:

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Jul 232015

Grand Caravan ES 3.3L

I had it serviced many times, and it finally could not be rebuilt, repaired, re-serviced or anything. Planetary pieces and chunks. I babied this girl for years, and its been a really fun, and a beauty. 200,000 miles on her, and the interior looks great, just got oil changed and new tires, replaced sensors, bulbs, and tuned. But the transmission is the Achilles Heel of this model. I will find another transmission, likely new, and

have it restored.

Love this van, but very close to despise Dodge. Won't buy another Dodge/Chrysler again.

Previous Chrysler was Newport Custom 440 block; another great vehicle, and a hell of a transmission on that one! threw a rod. Sold it to an engineer.

- , Troutdale, OR, USA

Oct 312014

Grand Caravan SE 3.3L

OMG. THIS IS THE 4TH TRANSMISSION . JUST HAD REBUILT. HALLOWEEN BLEW WHITE SMOKE OUT THE BACK. DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING. KEPT LOOKING FOR TEMP GAUGE TO GO UP. BY THE TIME I GOT CLOSE TO HOME STARTED SLIPPING. NO FLUID. WHY CAN'T ANYONE FIX THESE TRANSMISSIONS RIGHT?

- , Millington, TN, USA

Jan 222008

Grand Caravan SE 3.3L V6

I have a 1998 dodge grand caravan the Tran is complete gone and now I have it sitting. I have no money to fix this. Dodge needs to really figure out what is so wrong with their trans and do a recall on them until they are fixed. There was no sign it was even going out.

- , Mchenry, IL, USA

Apr 152007

Grand Caravan

Bought caravan and two weekds later on way home from taking son to school it started slipping and then wouldnt shift. Husband had to come pick me and our other two kids up and have van towed. Dealership we bought it from fixed it, replaced with same piece of crap tranny. It is now another two weeks later and tranny is making horrible grinding noise. DO NOT BUY DODGE CARAVAN!!!!!!!!!! ITS NOT IF THE TRANNY WILL GO OUT.... JUST A QUESTION OF WHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most people arent made of money and able to replace a tranny every two weeks. I'm gonna buy a Chevrolet.

- , Star, ID, USA

Mar 202007

Grand Caravan 3.3

At 60,000 mi replaced transmission. Seems everyone I talk to and been around has the same problem now at 123,000 mi transmission starting to leak again just like it did before when it went out. I suppose they will tell me the same song again the nut come loose and caused the problem. You would think DODGE could build a transmission by now and fix the other pain in the ass ones for free!!!!!!!!!

- , Summerville, PA, USA