2003 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Sep 032013

Grand Caravan

My air bag light came on and horn stopped working was told by dealer it was the clock springs but its not included in the recall.

- Greatmills , MD, USA

Aug 152012

Grand Caravan 8-cyl

I have had so many major problems with my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan! I bought it used in 2008 w/ 68K miles. At that time the transmission had already been replaced. I had to replace the entire power steering system ($2000), auto window regulator, ac blower, tires, alternator belt, water pump, etc.the engine light has been on for some time now and mechanic says misfiring spark plugs. When serviced for problem(@ 170K miles) discovered original factory sp still in. Horrible corrosion/build up, had 2 fuel system flushes. Light on again. Newest & most dangerous problems, on multiple occasions now, van has completely turned off while driving, idling, and parked. It happens randomly and unexpectedly. More frequently while at lower speeds or parked but once while I was actually driving. When it cuts off the oil light remains illuminated. The car turns right back on. 5 times while driving 25-50mph has gone into cruise control by itself, and I loose control until it decides to give it back! today, for the first time, after parking and turning car off myself, it would not restart. Ignition not responding, no noise, nothing. Tried to jump it and nothing, notices that lights and other electrical components not effected. Fortunately an observer also happened to be a mechanic, he took out the starter fuse and stuck some wires in the socket and had me turn the key, it started!!! he said that it seems there is an ignition communication problem, a.K.a. computer problem. I have 4 kids that are always with me and this is our only vehicle. If the vehicle is dependent on the computer to function, then I have zero room for communication problems. I have reviewed all of the complaints for this make/model/year, there are multiple complaints that are similar if not identical to mine. I wonder how many complaints have to be filed before action is taken" does someone have to die first"

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Grand Caravan

We were driving down the freeway going 75mph and everything died. No power steering, no power brakes! luckily we were in the far right lane and were able to barley able to make it of the side of the road without being hit or hitting anyone. In 110 degree weather, we sat with our 4 small children waiting for a tow truck. And then for someone to pick us up. We don't' even know how the tow truck was able to get the vehicle without getting hit, it was that close to the side of the road. Nothing started and after 3 shops, finally found it was the computer, took the part out and its messed up and we were told not only by all 3 shops, but by all the parts places that its common in this make and model. That is unacceptable! my kids not only are afraid to get in the car, but I have had to start taking something for anxiety, I am so afraid to drive any car now, afraid of that happening again. It was terrifying going that speed and losing all power and control over the vehicle. It should not have happened.

- Arizona City, AZ, USA

Nov 172011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving, the left headlamp stopped working. It started working again a few minutes later, and has continued to turn on and off for no apparent reason. High beams work ok. The same problem occurred with two different bulbs. When the ignition is off, I can turn on the headlights, but the left light has a slight delay turning on. When I turn the ignition on, the left headlight goes out. I cannot find any relays or fuses for the headlights. Two mechanics have looked at the problem, and have not been able to fix it. This seems to be a common problem on the web, but I can't find any solutions.

- Adelphi, MD, USA

Jan 072011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan sport, the head lights and dash will dim for a quick second. This happens when its cold out side and when the transmission is down shifting when braking. I have had the batter and alternator test and received passing results. Once the engine and tranny is warmed up there is not problem. Have done a internet search that revealed several issues with this on the 02 models but did not find anything on getting it repaired.

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

Oct 162010

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan engine died while driving for no apparent reason causing a major accident and injury to my wife. Power steering and brakes became inoperable and airbag did not deploy.

- New City, NY, USA

Aug 312010

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle would sporadically stall and hesitate when driving 25 mph and up. The contact was able to restart the vehicle momentarily before the failure would repeat itself. The dealer discovered that the insulation on the wiring harness had shortened and burned out. The dealer replaced the wiring harness at the contact's expense. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 98,000. Updated 12/21/10 the engine light illumiated as well. Updated 12/29/10

- Fruitland Park, FL, USA

Mar 142007

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicles exterior lighting system failed which also decreased the visibility. While driving 65 mph at night, the windshield wipers came on, when the contact tried to turn on the low beams. The weather was not a factor. The contact stated that when the right turn signal was activated the left turn signal came on instead. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact replaced the electrical unit himself, and found that there was oil in the electrical unit. The contact retained the electrical unit for examination. The contact also stated that the vehicle functioned properly after the electrical unit was replaced. The failure mileage was approximately 79,000. The current mileage was approximately 119,000.

- Pahenix, AL, USA

Dec 132009

Grand Caravan

Electrical component in the glove compartment that controls the heater smells of burning and when heat is turned on smoke blows out the heat vents, also causing the heat to go out. When the wires were checked they were all melted from burning.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 162009

Grand Caravan

Night driving, head lights and dash lights just go out, come back on after several seconds.

- Ettrick, WI, USA

Sep 282009

Grand Caravan

Electrical problems everywhere. Door locks and sliding door problems, automatic rear door quite opening, tire system recalibrated over and over again, but the biggest safety problem is the blinkers quite working or even worse, if you put the right blinker on, the left signal starts blinking.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Oct 172007

Grand Caravan

Oct 17 2007 my van started acting like this. The van will not start but everything worked that needing the battery. When drove for 2sec the van just lost all power and would not start. I checked the battery, fuses, and relays. I had it towed to a shop and they can not fined out. They was thinking the computer and keys need to redone.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Oct 032006

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The headlights flicker off on my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan with 68,000 miles. This originally happened on vacation with my family of 5 in the car on a highway in Tennessee. When the lights went off I reached forward to touch the switch and they came back on. 3 weeks went by without another incident. Now almost daily the lights flicker off and come back on when I touch the switch. This has not been repaired yet.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Aug 142006

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle stalled four times while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealership who was unable to duplicate the problem. Finally the dealership determined the black box needed to be replaced. While driving the vehicle 25 mph, there was a very loud noise. The vehicle would not go into gear. The vehicle began to roll when placed in park. The emergency brake was engaged to stop the vehicle which was later towed to a dealership for inspection.

- Lawrence, MA, USA

Jul 202006

Grand Caravan

Own a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan sport. Car was towed to Dodge dealer on Friday July 20,2006, due to rough engine idling. Was told that it was a PCM, would take until the following Wednesday to have to part shipped in ( I live in the Chicago area ). on Thursday Dodge called to say that the rocker arm in the # 5 piston needed to be replaced, this would take additional time. The rocker arm was replaced and again Dodge called to advise me that now there was a short in the electrical harness and they would need to trace to locate the short. Car was finally returned to me on August 9,2006. My wife used it to go to the store, she called me and said the car had died while stopping at a red light.this was just 4 hours after picking the car up from the dealer. Car was again towed to Dodge dealer. Total time Dodge has had my car is now 21 days and counting. I've had to rent 3 different cars during this time all on my own expense.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Oct 062004

Grand Caravan 4-cyl

After starting the vehicle all the gauges work. After about fifteen minutes all the gauges stopped working. As of 10/22/04, the problem had gotten worse. As soon as the vehicle was turned on all of the electrical parts in the vehicle stopped working. There would be no blinker. All gauges in the dash did not come on, the electrical passenger side door and the hatch stopped working.

- Atlantic City, NJ, USA