6.9

2. remove & reinsert the 20 amp iod fuse (51 reports)
  3. disconnected battery for 1 minute (11 reports)
  4. remove and reinsert BCM #1 fuse (7 reports)
  5. update firmware in body control module (BCM) (7 reports)
  6. dealer charged me to reflash the computer (4 reports)
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Feb 122014

Grand Caravan 3.3L

Bought as a used vehicle. might be a lemon. electric door locks don't work

- , Kankakee, IL, USA

Dec 112012

Grand Caravan 3.3L V6

This has happened multiple times. Each time, pulling the iod fuse has solved the problem temporarily. It always comes back eventually.

- , North Pole, AK, USA

Nov 182013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.6L V6

It is ridiculous that you have to lock all the doors manually when you pay for automatic door lock system from just a push of the button. My husband changed the fuse and it worked for awhile and had to redo the same process all over again.

- , Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Sep 012013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

To sum everything up, my locks will not lock or unlock using the key fob or inside buttons none of them will work. I was told to reset it by removing battery cable, so I did it worked for about 8 hrs. Also I was told to pull the iod fuse and put it back, this did the same only worked for a few hours. This is just a pain especially with a new baby. I was also told the dealer could replace the computer but it might not fix the problem and I would have to pay for it which is BULL!! I think this should be investigated and there should be a recall, my father in law is having the same problem with his 05 town and country, he will be filing a complaint also!!

- , Avoca, MI, USA

Sep 032013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

Same door lock problem I was told to tell every time I have a problem so I have to do this about 10 more times!!

- , Avoca, MI, USA

Sep 262013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.2L V6

After taking my kids to school, I get home and try to lock my car doors as I jump out. They didn't work. I tried the clicker, it didn't work either. My dad happened to be visiting and started looking into it for me. I googled it and found this site. We pulled the iod fuse a couple times, disconnected the batteries, cleaned the contacts and used fine sand paper on the fuse ends too, and tried turning the key on and off 3 times. I'm not sure which one of these fixed the problem for today, but all of a sudden they started working. I put a note in my glove box to keep track of this issue. I'm thinking this car is becoming a pain for sure!

- , Hannibal, Missouri, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

The door locks stopped working a couple of months ago. Nothing opens/closes them- door switch, key fob, driving over 20mph. Found the IOD fuse fix online, pulled it, locks worked for a month before they stopped again. Fixed again with IOD pull. Each time the locks have worked for shorter and shorter time periods and now they stop working as soon as the engine goes off. Already reported this issue to NHTSA.

- , Portland, OREGON, USA

Aug 022013

Grand Caravan

I had same problem power lock not working for 2 yrs now, just 2 months ago my husband connect extra cable from battery negative to body part of the van for better ground, and that fixed the problem since, i did post following message to other site for people to know how to fix it.

(To all of you who have problem on power lock not working issue on caravan, POWER LOCK CAN BE FIXED with simple, just connect extra cable from negative (-) battery to any body part ground of your van.)

- , Brampton, ON, canada

Jan 242013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

I Can't beleive that Dodge hasn't done a recall on this if it's such a known problem. I love my Dodge, have had 3 of them. I have never had this problem with any of them except this one. It started when I replaced my battery. Thank God I married a Mechanic lol Hope Dodge does something about this. I am complaining to them and SafeCar.

- , North Kingstown, RI, USA

Oct 102012

Grand Caravan Special Edition 3.8L V6

Doors won't lock with fob have to lock them each by hand also automatic locking of all doors at app. 20 miles an hour does not work either . I read about pulling 20 amp fuse out then putting it back in it worked . it lasted about 2 weeks then happened again, did the same thing with the fuse it worked again for about 3 weeks then stopped working again, pulled fuse and put back in it worked again for about 2 weeks . it quit working on dec.4 pulled fuse again and put it back in it worked but only one day this time. now it has happened on the 5th,6th,7th,and today the 8th of DEC.

- , Madison Heights, Michigan, USA

Jul 012011

Grand Caravan V6

Car dome lights came on when I had stopped van. I checked all doors; none were left open. Doors would not lock inside or outside, with remote, manually or with key. I even tried to push down manual lock knob at the top near window. Good thing I left the window down because the key wouldn't work (manually or with remote). I would have been locked out of the van. I have never had vehicle whereby the key would not unlock the car manually either. This was really scary; now nothing is secure inside the van. Took to dealer and it stayed in shop for over 3 months, worked for 2 months, then remote locks and internal locks don't work again. Afraid to lock with key now because may not be able to unlock it. Also, have had continuous problems with brakes wearing a lot, transmission cooler leaked and had to be replaced, problems with sliding doors, etc., etc., etc. I like ease of getting in and out of van due to my knee problems and disabilities, but I can't afford to trade it or dump it and get something else like a Toyota Highlander!

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 152012

Grand Caravan XLT

Had the computer reset at Doge Dealer today. Wish I would have found this site first. 5 hours later the drivers side passenger door stopped locking and unlocking. Gonna call the dealer and raise heck tomorrow.

- , St Marys, WV, USA

Apr 242012

Grand Caravan

I had the same problem as everyone else, and sure enough, it turned out to be fixed by reprogramming the BCM as per TSB 08-040-04. My beef is that this is a DEFECT in the original programming, and that Dodge recognizes the defect since they came up with the solution in the TSB (which is a fix, not an upgrade.) Since it is a safety issue for doors not to lock while driving, it should be a recall and I should not have to pay the $137 to fix it.

I agree with those who say that if many people complain to Dodge and to NHTSA, they may listen and still make it a recall. I did call the NHTSA (1-888-327-4236) and they seem to be taking it seriously.

- , Harleysville, PA, USA

Sep 102011

Grand Caravan V6

I bought this van 3 months before the locks decided to stop working. Worst part of the whole thing is the horn would go off every time I got into the van. The doors would not lock while traveling down the road. There is only 1 door that you can lock / unlock with a key. Took van to a neighborhood repair shop. We were told this vehicle is noted for this problem. Van was "fixed" by re-programing. Only lasted 5 months and it has happened again. See next complaint.

- , Elma, NY, USA

Aug 012012

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

Same old same old with the power door locks which is widespread. This was the first of about 3 times, but I'm not going to report the other 2. Internet research said to pull the IOD fuse for a few seconds and replace. It works, but it also wipes out the radio programming each time. Maybe it won't do it again. Yeah, right.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Feb 212012

Grand Caravan V6

It seems to be a repeat of the problem that was "fixed" 5 months ago. Is this a problem we will continue to have every few months re-programing the unit, or is there a permanent fix? We have an appointment for Saturday am. I am not happy !

- , Elma, NY, USA

Jun 082011

Grand Caravan SXT 3.3L V6

x@#$%^&*@#$%#@$ Dodge anyway!!!!! Locks quit working electrically. First the dealer said it was a switch on the drivers side, but that proved to be wrong. I told them that I removed the iod module and it worked for a while and then quit again. They checked all wiring and now say that I may need to change the BCM, which is very expensive. I am out of warranty. This should have been a recall and Dodge should do the right thing by their customers.

- , Longview, WA, USA

Dec 312011

Grand Caravan SXT Limited Edition 3.8L V6

Just bought this vehicle but noticed an issue with the sliding door while we were looking at it. We told the dealer that we wanted it fixed before purchasing. They removed the IOD fuse and replaced it...and it appeared to solve the issue. That is, until we got home! As soon as we got home, the power door locks failed. I found this website and used the IOD fuse trick again. Just had the local Dodge dealer update the firmware to see if the problem goes away permanently. Will report back!

Update from Mar 22, 2012: Updating the firmware has resolved this issue completely for us. It cost us $100, but have not had a single failure since.

- , Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA

Aug 232011

Grand Caravan 3.3L V6

I bought a 1993 plain jane caravan 10 years ago, it had no bells and whistles to go wrong but I had to repair the transmission 3 times and replaced the a/c pump once. I foolishly bought a 2000 caravan with a few options; pdl, pw. True to the nature of Dodge both stopped working so I got rid of it. Third time fool, bought a 2005 caravan, rear door lock quit working and have to use the key to open the hatch (not really handy in the winter when the keyhole is covered in snow), passenger side window won,t work most of the time and heater fan motor works most of the time but not all of the time. I work at a Diamler chrysler industrial dealership now and realize it is not a Dodge problem as much as it is a Diamler problem as I am learning that almost all divisions of Diamler products have the same pathetic wiring and electrical problems. I say almost all divisions not because they don't ALL have the same problems but because I only have had first hand experience with three divisions; all suck. What are the chances that the only three I've had experience with are the only three with these problems. I have been a Mechanic for 24 years now, when I first started this trade the last problem that was suspect was the control modules or the computer. Most of the current troubleshooting now starts with replace module with known good one (like everyone has a spare of everything laying around) and retest. Second step is check or replace wiring harness and third is contact your dealer who is as much in the dark as you. The only reason I bought a Dodge three times is because they were the least expensive, turns out they were the most cheaply build too.

- , Grande Prairie, AB, Canada

Aug 092011

Grand Caravan ES V6

I am so glad I found this information. I have also had many issues with my van, not as many as some I have read about. My power lock just stopped working one day. I purchased a new battery as it was time for a new one. My locks worked for 2 days, then they didn't again. It is very frustrating having to manually open all the doors. Here is one suggestion. I did not lose all function, the back hatch never had an issue, just the side doors and the power buttons on the inside doors not working. 1 Tip I found out. if you do not click the lock button on the key, your back hatch although it sounds like it is locking , does not. you need to push the key to lock the back hatch. Pretty scary when I discovered this after holiday shopping. I did not know about the IOD fuse. I just went and tried it and my locks are working again. Lets see for how long.... You would think with the number of complaints a recall would have been issued long ago.. I will keep my post updated as to how long the IOD fuse take out and put back lasts.

- , Brandon, FL, USA