2005 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Dec 012012

Grand Caravan

Purchased vehicle used. Electric doors would not work. Even with the switch they would not make a sound. After reading on the internet that virtually every Dodge owner has this problem I pulled the BCM and iod fuses for a few seconds and put them back in. Everything now works but my research leads me to believe the fix is only temporary. Driving through some neighborhoods and night with doors unlocked or condition unknown is very dangerous. I must inspect every lock before driving the vehicle and make sure they are locked. I travel the country working for the us air force and door locks become a great concern in some areas.

- Minot, ND, USA

Nov 142012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Power locks failed, they did not work with the key buttons or by pushing the lock button on the door. I took the iod fuse out and put it back in and it is working for now.

- Selbyville, DE, USA

Oct 202012

Grand Caravan

Power door locks stopped working completely from both interior switches and key fob. Will not lock or unlock any of the 5 doors from interior. Manually able to lock and unlock doors individually. Unable to lock back hatch with key or from inside vehicle. Safety problem with 1 and 3 year old that need to have doors locked while vehicle is in motion. Also unsafe for young children to be standing outside vehicle while unlocking driver's door with key then manually D/S rear door. Children are unnecessarily standing outside vehicle while doors are manually unlocked.

- Gresham, OR, USA

Oct 052011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The headlights will go on and off at any time. This happens while driving or while parked for the night. I have replaced the headlight switch on three occasions, first only the switch, next the switch and battery, and then finally the switch and alternator. Each repair lasts for a few months then the problem returns. This is a very unsafe condition as it happens at night driving. As this is an intermittent issue I cannot get a true diagnosis.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Sep 072012

Grand Caravan

Auto lock and auto doors open failed. This happened about a year ago too. Resetting BCM module by removing battery lead for a few seconds fixed problem. Problem is back. I consider this unsafe since doors do not auto lock once vehicle is in motion. This should be a free fix but dealer charges. I have read refreshing the computer fixes the problem. Dealer charges when it should be free since this is a safety issue.

- Chepachet, RI, USA

Aug 272012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our door locks stopped working with both the unlock button and the remote key. We cannot unlock our doors unless we do it manually, and there is now no way to lock the back hatch. There is only one key hole and this is a major safety issue.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Jan 102012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The locks keep stop working and it needs to be reset by removing the fuse, read on the internet that almost everybody with this type of van experiences this problem should be a recall. Locks finally gave out all the way and will not open anymore.

- Richland, WA, USA

May 012012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

During routine stop, noticed that the door locks would not work. This wasn't a concern at first until I noticed that the doors would not lock when the vehicle was in motion as well. I feel this is a huge safety issue that daimler Chrysler is ignoring and leaving families with the burden of repairing this expensive issue. This is a safety issue and nothing else that Dodge should fix for its loyal customers.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Jun 012012

Grand Caravan

Park lamps do not work. Replaced fuses, relay and bulbs.

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 022012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Door locks on sliding doors will not work. Van has been back to dealer 2 times on this. This is a unsafe condition.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Jun 212012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Apparently a faulty airbag sensor light means that possibly airbags may not deploy in a collision or accident. I have contacted the dealer from where I purchased the vehicle and also check for recalls via the internet and according to the VIN #, it is not listed, but over 300,000 2005 Grand Caravan have. Why not mine?

- Maryland, NY, USA

Apr 092012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The power door lock on the driver's side stopped working. It could only be locked/unlocked with the key. Then a few weeks later the passenger side slider door lock stopped working. The door became completely inoperable since the it was stuck in the locked position. It could not even be unlocked by manually pulling on the lock...the lock was frozen. Then the slider door on the drivers side started to fail intermittently. Fortunately it would just remain in the unlocked position so we could still open that door. I was afraid to lock that door manually in case it also became frozen in the locked position and it would be very inconvenient to get my kids into the rear of the van. So I left it unlocked and feared items would be stolen from my vehicle. I also feared that god forbid we were in an accident we wouldn't be able to get out of the vehicle. I read many forums online about having the dealer reprogram the BCM and some people found success with this for around $100. I took my van to a Dodge dealer who told me they never heard of that fix for the door locks. So I wound up spending over $1100 to have a latch and 2 power actuators replaced. Needless to say I am feeling very ripped off. With so many people out there with this identical complaint, you would think Dodge would issue a recall. There is obviously an issue.

- Bellmawr, NJ, USA

Mar 012012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Electric power locks continue to fail. They will not work with the keyless remote or the lock switch inside the drivers side or passengers side door.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 012012

Grand Caravan

Key operated electronic door locks ceased to function. Can reset by removing iod fuse, but problem seems to come back in a few days or few weeks time..is a huge convience problem manually unlocking passenger doors by reaching to back seat and when you want to load some groceries into rear hatch.. also could be safety issue, especially for someone with disabilities....based on the number of complaints I see, if this can be solved with the dealer reprogramming the computer, this should be a definite safety defect and done at no cost to the owner..

- Florence, OR, USA

May 042012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The vehicle is not properly sealed. The grounds were all corroded and letting moisture or salt into components. First thing that happened was all the lights came on and then all went out. Couldn't see speed or gears. I have had to replace the basic control module and having the body control module checked out today. Everything under the hood is corroding at a fast pace. You can see even the metal on the engine. I hoping my wiring harness is ok. But the tech hasn't gotten that far yet.

- Port Tobacco , MD, USA

May 172012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Following the advise of many whom have posted on the following website; autoforum.classifieds1000.com/Dodge-grand_caravan/2005_dodge_grand_caravan_random_headlamp_issue?pg=3. I am also experiencing problems with my Dodge Grand Caravan. I am currently experiencing problems with the headlights; they shut down by themselves while I am driving. I have also experiences problems with the brakes lights, power windows and the passenger sliding doors. I cannot use the sliding door behind the driver side. It had been permanently shut for the last 3 years, since the last visit to the Dodge dealership in miami, Florida. They did a dreadful job.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 122012

Grand Caravan

No interior lights or dashboard light or back wipers or heating control.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 192011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Power door locks quit working. This seems to be a major problem with this year of vehicle.

- Saint Marys, WV, USA

Mar 022012

Grand Caravan

The automatic door locks stop working. This has been discussed on the internet quite a bit. The problem is that the door will not lock or unlock with the key fob or door switch. The also do not automatically lock when the car starts moving thus creating a safety concern for kids riding in the back. Removing the negative battery terminal resets it so that it works again briefly. The problem recurs again after a brief time.

- Dunlap, IL, USA

Feb 142012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Air bag sensor light stays on now and the horn does not work when pressed, but will work when the panic button is pressed.

- Kirkwood, PA, USA