2005 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Apr 102014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the vehicle was purchased, the air bag light was illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag sensors needed to be replaced. The contact was informed that the repairs should be covered under a recall. It was determined that the vehicle was not included in a recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 112015

• 1,110,000 miles
Power locks malfunctioning, lights go on and off on their own, driving at night dangerous. Something wrong with electronic systems. Work one time than they dont. Now my lights want to stay on or come on randomly N I end up with dead battery. Locks dangerous when you can't unlock rear door to get child out. Turn signal doesn't turn off on its own. Stalls after filling fuel tank. Power drivers seat has stooped working properly slso, I'm short and would rather not have to sit on top of sir bag but not all of the adjustment functions are working properly. So can't tilt seat instead I have to sit on top of air bag, at a weight of 129 N under 5 feet tall I sure hope that sir bag never deploys on

- Jackson, ME, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Caravan

The electric door locks do not work unless you reset the computer by removing the battery cable for one min. And connecting it back. Computer needs to be flashed for a permanent fix. The removing the cable is just a temporary fix.I bought it broken.

- Lebanon, OR, USA

Jun 112015

Grand Caravan

The battery on our van kept going dead.the battery was new.we took our van to 5 different repair shops, buying parts& 3 new batteries& we are still with the same problem.our van while we are driving goes in & out of over is like you are pushing the gas pedal & letting off, pushing&letting off.the cruise won't work(well it does & then it doesn't)there is a clicking sound in the dash that sounds like the doors are locking yet they aren't, the back door when you use your remote, the door open& closes, opens & closes till you have to close it & use your key so you are able to put your groceries in without getting crushed by the door, the handicapped lift won't come down we know there is a shortage some where, yet nobody is able to fix our van!we have one working & we have paid so many hundreds out for repairs & we are still where we started.I don't know what to do we need our van our son has cp & is in a powered wheelchair it isn't like we can just run out & trade we have to have a handicapped van!you are talking about spending big money & we only have one working in our family cause I have to stay home & take care of him.he is 36 & he can't walk or talk! we need help fixing this problem before it hurts my family!!!!!!!!

- Kinston, NC, USA

Mar 012014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. After exiting the vehicle, the contact attempted to lock the doors and the locks failed to engage. The contact had to remove the I.O.D fuse from the fuse box and reset the computer in order for the locks to engage. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 20,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mill Brook, AL, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Caravan

Power locks stopped working signal lights can only be turned off manually blower defrost fan will not turn off back seat faulty folding into the floor

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 062015

Grand Caravan

He's lights flicker while driving, which makes night driving dangerous to the the annoyance of lights flickering and dimming. The dash lights are also flickering.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Aug 042015

Grand Caravan

While driving at highway speed, the radio abruptly shut off with a loud pop at the same time the dashboard cluster ie: Fuel, speedometer and temp gauge suddenly dropped and then came back up to there previous level. The odometer went blank as well and came on again. The car was still running but it was quite disconcerting to look at the dashboard and see all the gauges in the same position as if the car was off. Y wife has told me that it had happened previously but she could not recall the date.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Mar 132012

Grand Caravan

All the lights in car lights flickers, radio shut off and on, gages go completely around and car dies out instantly. I had car repaired under warranty back in 2012. I had to have the same issue repaired in March 2015 and now its Aug 2015 it is occurring again...

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Caravan

The power locks stopped working. Neither the remote nor the actual interior lock would work to lock all the doors at once. We now need to individually lock each door.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

May 052015

Grand Caravan

My electrical system has a demand. It started with power sliding door not opening then the locks would not unlock if I did not slam the side door shut the flashers would come on and I could not shut them off the rear window wiper started moving I could not shut if off all the dash lights started flashing and indicated I had no gas. This is a handicapped modified van and I use a wheelchair to ambulate. I have taken off work for full days and partial days to get this problem diagnosed and fixed. After a $2,488 dollar bill to excise the demand the door still will not open and the wheelchair ramp will not deploy. I have to work and I am almost out of leave. Dodge should come to the rescue and assume responsibility for the computer problem that they are aware of and recall these vehicles to have the computer program patch to all owners. My problems started at 38,000 miles.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Apr 282015

Grand Caravan

The 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan and 2005 Chrysler town and country have a known software bug for the body control module that controls the power locks on the vehicle. Once this occurs on your vehicle, the owner is unable to lock the vehicle remotely or from the power lock switch or when the vehicle exceeds 10 mph auto lock feature. Known service bulletins are: 08-028-05 and 08-040-04 to permanently fix this issue with the locks the owner can temporarily fix the problem by pulling the power to the vehicle and letting teh body control module reset. This is only a temporary fix as the problem has re-occurred 3 times since the original issue came up. The permanent fix for this known software issue results in the consumer/owner of the vehicle to take into a dealership for diagnostics and repair a minimum of $130+tax. I believe this a safety issue for this vehicle (the auto lock at speed doesn't work), and it is also a theft issue in that the owner can not properly lock the vehicle.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Oct 072014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Power door locks were inoperable either by the key fob or the interior door lock switches. Returned vehicle to dealer on 10/07/2014 for repair. In that I had extended coverage I had to pay the $100 co-pay.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 282014

Grand Caravan

While attempting to operate the electric sliding side door, a large spark and small debris fire was seen in the bottom door rail. Upon inspection, a break in the wire harness had aloud wires to be severed that controls the door and locking system. The automatic door locks on both side doors no longer worked and the passenger side door would no longer open electrically. I removed the wiring harness and wires and discarded them to avoid any more problems (sparking and/or fires). This could cause a major fire hazard in the right environment.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 082015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While slowing down motor will try and shut off. If you come to a stop it will shut off. Seat belts do not lock in place. Rear windshield wiper will not move. Passenger side cargo door will not unlock. Some settings for heat and ac will not work. Left turn signal won't shut off after turning.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Dec 012014

Grand Caravan

The automatic lock system on my 05 Dodge Grand Caravan doesn't work, with the key fob or when pushing the automated lock buttons inside the vehicle. The car beeps like it is locking when you push the key fob. However, it really isn't locking. After doing some research, I have found that this is a common issue with the 2005 Dodge Caravan models. That being said, I contacted the dealership & was told that there has not been a recall, because this is "not considered a safety issue." How is this not a safety issue" Dodge, themselves, actually calls part of the automated lock system a "safety feature." The system is supposed to automatically lock, once you reach a speed of 15 mph. Well, this no longer works either. How is it called a "safety feature" when it works, but then it isn't a "safety issue" when it doesn't work" I physically cannot lock the passenger doors myself, when driving. I either have to remember to do it before I leave, make sure the person that gets out does it before they leave, pull over to lock them, or drive with them unlocked. That's not safe! I attend night school & am not comfortable leaving my car unlocked, but it is not as easy to get into my vehicle quickly now. I have to manually open the driver side door (only door that has a manual lock), reach in, unlock the side door, then open the side door, put my things in, lock the side door, close the door, and then get in the front. That is a lot of extra time in a dark parking lot! normally, I would just click the unlock & the open door button on the way to the van, put the stuff in, close the door & go. In addition, if you are a passenger, you have to stand there & wait to be let in. As mentioned, there is no key entry on that side of the vehicle at all. Many times, I am left standing there (with my purse), as my husband walks around to the driver side & lets himself & the kid's in the vehicle.

- Germantown, WI, USA

Nov 052002

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Electric locks fail. After R&R a fuse the locks would work for a period of time then fail again. Repeat.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Door lock system has failed due to computer glitch. From what I have found on-line this problem has been happening for years and should be covered by a recall.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Oct 022014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I have been experiencing random electrical issues intermittently for a few weeks, but today, it was noticed that my power locks are not able to be engaged or disengaged via either my key fob or manual by the button on the side of the driver's or passenger's door. They also do not engage once the vehicle reaches the appropriate speed. The only way to lock or unlock the vehicle at this time, is via the key in the door, and manually pushing down/pulling up the locks themselves. As a mom of three children under the age of 10, having them riding in the back of the vehicle and not knowing for sure that their doors are locked, causes distress in regard to their safety. I need to know that I can lock my vehicle quickly behind my children, if necessary, and know that if they happen to pull on the handle on the sliding doors, that I can rest assured that the doors will not open in response to this as I'm driving down the highway.

- Manheim, PA, USA

Jun 202014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Power lock function stopped working on my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. Power door locks could not be activated using the power door lock switches on the driver's door, the passenger door, the key fob, and the 15 mph auto lock feature. Attempting to activate power door locks from the key fob gives a false indication that the doors have locked since the horn beeps without the doors locking. Not having the auto-lock feature and not having control of the power door locks from the driver or passenger doors is a safety hazard for passengers exiting the vehicle in case of emergency.

- Greensburg, PA, USA