2005 Dodge Grand Caravan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Feb 272013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the headlights malfunctioned. The contact then used the fog lamps to continue driving. The contact did not contact the manufacturer or a dealer for inspection or repairs to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 117,000.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Feb 202013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The headlights would not turn on. The parking lights would come on, but not the headlamps. Turning the switch/dial turned them off, and turned on parking lights, but nothing else. The switch would turn all the way, but nothing. Then the parking lights wouldn't go off at all. Then I got the headlights to come on after messing with the switch for a while. The headlights came on the next day. It seems to be an intermittent problem... there are a lot of posts about this problem online. There should be a recall. This is very unsafe.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 082013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Lights will not turn off when switch is turned off. Parking lights stay on for several minutes, turn themselves back on when car is unlocked. Occasionally blinks out when driving (less than 1 second blink).

- Kendrick, ID, USA

Jan 112013

Grand Caravan

The power door locks on this 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan just stopped working. Key fob sounds horn when locking, but locks do not engage. Very dangerous for travel as locks do not engage when vehicle reaches 18 mph.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Nov 082012

Grand Caravan

I got in the vehicle at night. Turned on headlights and they would not come on. Played with switch and they flashed on. Driving down the road they went out and I had to pull over and play with the switch to get them to come back on. They are now, 2 weeks later, at the point that I cannot drive at night. They will not stay on, flash on then go off within a few seconds. After doing research I have found this to be a very common problem with this make and model. Very dangerous!

- Enumclaw, WA, USA

Oct 222012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The headlights went out by themselves during night highway driving at ~64mph! this was an extremely dangerous situation as I had my wife and 3 children in the van. Completely unacceptable. I had to pull off the highway during heavy traffic, and cycle the headlight switch 6-10 times to get the headlights to illuminate again. Even after that, they would intermittently go out/come on for the duration of out trip home. This is a serious vehicle safety issue.

- Webster, NY, USA

Oct 052011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The headlights will go on and off at any time. This happens while driving or while parked for the night. I have replaced the headlight switch on three occasions, first only the switch, next the switch and battery, and then finally the switch and alternator. Each repair lasts for a few months then the problem returns. This is a very unsafe condition as it happens at night driving. As this is an intermittent issue I cannot get a true diagnosis.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Mar 012012

Grand Caravan

Sometimes, my headlights won't turn on when I start the vehicle (the dashboards lights are still on when this happens). I usually solve the problem by switching the light switch on and off. The problem not only is fixed that way, but it goes away for months at a time and is quite random and mysterious. I am just concerned about the lights frying or suddenly turning off while the car is moving because I work evenings and often commute on the highway. Not only that, but after doing some research it appears quite a few people have this problem. It seems to be a known, mysterious glitch with Dodge Caravan from the same year. I get regular oil changes, always pass inspections, and the mechanics never find major issues with the battery, engine, or the headlights themselves. And they usually tell you that the car needs to be present in their shop while the problem is happening, which due to the random, intermittent nature of the problem is nigh impossible to do. It's a very strange problem, but there must be some cause if so many people driving similar cars have had similar complaints.

- Foxboro, MA, USA

Jul 172012

Grand Caravan

Headlamp switch is failing. It causes the headlamps to only work intermittently at times. Very dangerous at night time. I think should be a recall.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 022012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Headlights will randomly decide not to come on, or go off after car has been running. Parking lights, brake lights and directionals con't to work. Turning the lamp switch on and off a few times does not work. This has happen approximately 4 or 5 times over the last two months. Most recently on June 29 @ 10pm, had been driving on the highway with no incident. Off the highway stopped at a convenience store, after turning car back on and driving a few feet, on an unlit road the headlights went off, had to pull off to the side and shut car off and then restart, this is the only way they seem to come back on, the switch is not effective.

- Braintree, MA, USA

Jun 012012

Grand Caravan

Park lamps do not work. Replaced fuses, relay and bulbs.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jan 152007

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

This is a re-occurring issue. The first time it happened I had just reached around 50,000 miles (I guessed at the date). Then it happens off and on over the course of time. The most recent occurence was 6/23/2012 (I now have over 100000 miles). When driving at night, the headlights flicker dim, then bright, then they go out entirely. I must turn the switch off and on several times before the lights come back on. Three times I have had my children in the car. I have taken the van into the service shop, but have been told I was just imagining the issue. When I insisted I was not imaging it, I was told that maybe I never turned on the lights in the first place. Not once has Dodge service acknowleged that there could be an issue. The service guy did offer to take my van and drive it personally for a week to see if he could get it to happen. I didn't think it appropriate that he add several hundred miles for his amusement.

- Corinth, TX, USA

Jan 152007

- Corinth, TX, USA

May 062009

Grand Caravan

The headlights and parking lights started to randomly turn on and off. Now the parking lights won't go off and the headlights will not go on. No matter how many times I flip the switch. This is awful and dangerous, as I can't drive at night. The windshield wipers also will not turn on. This is ridiculous and I can't find any help.

- Plano, TX, USA

May 062009

- Plano, TX, USA

May 172012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Following the advise of many whom have posted on the following website; autoforum.classifieds1000.com/Dodge-grand_caravan/2005_dodge_grand_caravan_random_headlamp_issue?pg=3. I am also experiencing problems with my Dodge Grand Caravan. I am currently experiencing problems with the headlights; they shut down by themselves while I am driving. I have also experiences problems with the brakes lights, power windows and the passenger sliding doors. I cannot use the sliding door behind the driver side. It had been permanently shut for the last 3 years, since the last visit to the Dodge dealership in miami, Florida. They did a dreadful job.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 142010

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Headlights intermittently fail to illuminate when rotary switch is placed in on position. Multiple rotation of the switch from off to on position is required to get headlights to illuminate. In some cases, 20+ tries were required. I am afraid that complete failure may happen and make vehicle undriveable if it occurs at night. Online forums indicate that this is a fairly common problem.

- Ridgefield, WA, USA

Jan 122012

Grand Caravan

No interior lights or dashboard light or back wipers or heating control.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 152012

Grand Caravan

The headlights on my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan would not turn on. Only my parking lights would turn on. After several dozen attempts at turning on the low-beam headlights they would finally turn on. This is not the first time this has happened. The headlights on my Dodge Grand Caravan have also failed at night while I have been driving. Fortunately, I was only a couple miles from home. The lighting system in this vehicle is not reliable and I would hope the government would examine this matter closely.

- Corry, PA, USA

Aug 062011

Grand Caravan

Throughout the life of the vehicle the fog lights have randomly cycled on and off while driving with the headlights on. However last summer the main headlights started randomly shutting off while driving at night in addition to the fog lights cycling on and off despite the switch for the foglights being off. This is extremely unsafe. Usually toggling the switch on and off can get the headlights to turn back on. Recently I was unable to get them to come back on for approximately 1/2 mile. I was in a well lit area at the time, but this is still a safety issue. Sometimes after I turn off the headlights and shut off the vehicle they cycle on and off several times, but I have been lucky they have no stayed on and drained my battery. I searched for the issue online to see if there was a resolution and found numerous complaints on various sites for this same issue in the 2005 Grand Caravan as well as the issue I have with the power door locks that is resolved by removing the iod fuse and putting it back in. There seems to be a significant electrical problem in this vehicle that has gone unaddressed.

- Irwin, PA, USA