2005 Dodge Grand Caravan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Dec 232011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Dash board lights and interior lights went out came on again for five minutes and went back out.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 132008

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Every once in a while, my headlights won't turn on when I start my van. If I turn them off and on a few times, they will eventually turn on. A couple of times, my lights have shut off while I was driving in the van. Turning the lights off and on brought them back on, so I was not in an accident. Also, a couple of times all of my dashboard lights and gauges have gone crazy all at once. After about 10 seconds, they would be fine again.

- Windham, ME, USA

Jan 132012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My head lights turned off on me after night fall. I had to continually turn them on and off several times before they began to work again. Then as I headed home, they flashed on and off. The brights will not stay on either. If I need to run with the brights on when the regular head lights don"?T work, I have to continually hold the brights in the forward on position. If they headlight work properly, then the bright work properly as well. My fog lamp go on and off all by themselves and I flicker and flash all down the road. The Chrysler dealership here said it is a common problem and in their experience it is the switch at $100 just for the part. Labor is more. If it is so common, then where is the recall" I have had so many problems with this van since I purchased it. Sticking gas pedal, shuttering breaks, and the ABS light. All these were huge repair cost out of my pocket. I recently put over $4000 in repair to this van. Right now I cannot afford a $100 part plus labor. Recall please!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 112010

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our head lights would not come on. After turning the switch on and off several times they would come on. Now when driving down the highway they will start going on and off then completely go off. I have to travel a lot at night for my work. If you pull the dimmer/wiper switch toward you and hold it the high beam will come on but will not stay on. Now I am afraid to go any where after dark. Have called several Dodge garages service departments and when ask if they think replacing the switch could fix the problem they tell you, well you can bring it in and we can try that but can't guarantee that will fix your problem. Why should we pay to replace something that they don't know what the problem is. We believe that Dodge should have recall since there is so many of the same problems with other owners evidently there is a defect in the switching of the headlights and this is a serious problem.

- Mount Morris, PA, USA

Apr 052011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

We are constantly having problems with the power door locks failing which is a huge issue with two small children and them being able to pull on the door handle and have a door open without warning. We are also having issues with the dash lights not working therefore you cannot see anything at night... not the speedometer, not the fuel gauge, not the heat controls, nothing!!!

- West Bend, WI, USA

Aug 152011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Turn signal intermittently fails to work at all. Worse, left signal will be selected, but right signal will be delivered. Sometimes, signal works correctly. Dangerous. Wipers work very unpredicatably, or not at all. Will not come on, then will not go off. Will run very fast or very slow, and won't adjust.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 022011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving the headlight began to flicker and dim almost to where the light would completely go out.

- Potosi , MO, USA

Oct 272011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Sometime when I was driving, my headlights turned off mysteriously. Now I cannot get my lowbeams to turn on. High beams, parking lights, fog lights all work. May be an issue with the switch. I believe there is currently an open investigation regarding this issue.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 012009

Grand Caravan

My headlights do not come on when turned on. If I would turn off and on the lights eventually they come back on. Now it happens when I drive down the road. It happened again to my wife last night and she almost got into a car wreck. We cannot drive our van at night anymore.

- Grants Pass, OR, USA

Dec 102008

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Headlights turn off intermittently during operation. This is very disconcerting and dangerous. Driver must flip the light switch multiple times to bring the lights back on. The frequency of this problem has increased recently. I feel that the vehicle is unsafe and unreliable. Recently, the headlights would not come back on and we had to drive home using the fog lamps.

- Brookeville, MD, USA

Jul 282010

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The headlight switch does not always turn on the headlamps. We have to switch it back and forth several times, and sometimes it only turns on parking lights, sometimes only fog lights, and eventually headlamps will turn on. It is not consistent of when and where the switch will work and how many times it takes to switch it back and forth to turn on. Since this issue started happening - we have experienced the headlamps actually turning off during driving in the dark. Luckily they have come back on if I mess with the switch - but this is dangerous and it is not consistent when it happens either. I have also had the fog lights flicker on and off while driving even though I do not have the switch pulled out for them to come on at all.

- Ferndale, WA, USA

Sep 072010

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the headlights would fail sporadically. The contact would often have to continuously engage the headlight switch to get the lights to illuminate. The contact had to utilize the high beam headlights. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The VIN was not available. The current mileage was 103,000.

- Union, MO, USA

Aug 302005

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Headlights turn off while driving.

- Millersburg, PA, USA

Jul 212011

Grand Caravan

Exterior lights fail to turn on. This is an intermittent issue and have taken it in before, but they said that they can't fix it unless it is happening when I bring it in. Convenient that they are not open at night when I turn on my lights.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 102011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Headlight switch on 2005 Chrysler town and country and 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan malfunctions while driving. Extremely dangerous while driving at night. The switch on some of these vehicles seem to be installed incorrectly. There are 4 settings on the switch that when connected will turn on the lights appropriately. In some cases the switch is misaligned and the contact will either not work at all, or, make random disconnections. This is extremely dangerous when driving at night as this is a family vehicle, known to have multiple passengers. If the headlight fail at night, this could be deadly. There have been numerous forums, and blogs describing these issues with town and country, and Caravan, and Grand Caravan owners. The failure occurs randomly, and the only way to fix this is to either open/repair the switch, or replace the switch. Currently I am having to flip this switch off and on back and forth until the contacts connect. If it does not work, then I have to drive while I hold the hi-beams on. This is not safe for myself nor other drivers driving toward me.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jul 102011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The whoe brake cover on the left rear fell of on July 4th 2009. I have not had it replaced yet as I could not afford it, but have been using red tape. Yesterday, july10th while coming oof the freeway the other cover fell off. This time I saw it and went back for it. It seems these are only glued on. Have there been other complaints of this happening to these vans? it is so expensive to replace.

- Chico, CA, USA

Jul 042005

Grand Caravan

The headlights on my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan intermittently turn off while driving. This has happened at least a dozen times in the last year or so!

- Derry, NH, USA

Jun 222011

Grand Caravan

Driving down the road. Headlights went off and could not get them to come back on by turning on the headlight switch. How can I be expected to drive in the dark without headlights?

- Nampa, ID, USA

Sep 202010

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated the headlights were activated while driving approximately 50 mph, then suddenly without warning, the headlights became inoperative. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and after several attempts, the headlights began to function as normal. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 09/07/2011

- Richford, NY, USA

Aug 152010

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated while the vehicle was parked, the headlights failed to operate until after numerous attempts the headlights began to function normally. The failure occurred on five different occasions. Also, the headlights were activated when driving at night and unexpectedly became inoperable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Pewaukee, WI, USA