2005 Dodge Grand Caravan seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 012016

Grand Caravan

There is a documented defect in the front airbag sensors that resulted in a Chrysler "safety improvement" campaign limited to mainly northern states. My car has this problem but has been in Florida for its whole life. Clearly they recognize that there is a defect in this part but will not issue a recall for Florida-based cars. Can you make them expand this recall to all 2005 Dodge Caravan since it is a clear danger that they are not fully responding to.attached is what I found on the internet. Chrysler referred me to a local dealer who will charge me for the repair if Chrysler doesn't pay for it and they have made no commitment to pay if the defect turns out to be what they have recalled other vehicles of the same year and model for. The Chrysler case number is 29905594 given the significant safety risk of this defective part can you expand this from a safety campaign to a full recall for all cars of this model year.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

May 062016

Grand Caravan

I was involved in an accident while in motion at 35 miles per hour in san antonio Texas on a dry, 4 lane street, whereas a truck ran a stop on 5/6/2016. My vehicle frontend traveling straight on a level surface, 4 lane street & struck the other vehicle causing my vehicle to be totaled. I was wearing my seatbelt & suffered lower back, neck & left phemur injuries. I went to the hospital for emergency care. Since February 2016 I wrote letters to the car dealership whom dold me this vehicle & no response.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 282016

Grand Caravan

Stopped at the traffic light and proceeded through the intersection. The vehicle was in motion and suddenly accelerated. Tried to slow the vehicle down using the brake pedal which would not engage or press down. Car continued to accelerate faster. Continued to try to break the car and slow down. Brakes did not respond. Tried to change the gear to neutral or park. Car kept accelerating. Pulled off the road into the curb and through a fence. As the car was approaching the building at high speed. Turned the car off and it continued into a concrete block commercial building and bounced back about 15-20 feet and stopped at that point. Front-end damage to the car. Knocked concrete block wall and door down. Blessed to be alive. Car was totaled. Also, the air bag did not deploy. Police said that the throttle must have been stuck open.

- Gwynn Oak, MD, USA

Apr 102014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the vehicle was purchased, the air bag light was illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag sensors needed to be replaced. The contact was informed that the repairs should be covered under a recall. It was determined that the vehicle was not included in a recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Grand Caravan

The air bag light stays lit and wont turn off. Reset battery and lights still stay on. The light came on when the van was in the parked position.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Dec 312014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My airbag warning light recently came on and is staying on.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated and the horn failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the clock spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 226,000.

- Newman, IL, USA

Apr 032013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

In April of 2013, the air bag warning light illuminated on the dashboard. Took it to the dealer to check. Found that the right sensor was not working properly and that there were "broken wires." Repaired the wiring and said that all was okay. I was charged over $220 for this repair. There was a 2007 recall for this issue and my car supposedly had the front sensors replaced at that time. Then, in June of 2014, the same air bag warning light appeared again. This time I researched recalls and found out that there was another recall in 2010 for this same issue. After contacting Chrysler services, I was told to go back to the dealer and they would perform the repair/replacement at no cost. After they performed the work, which they said again was a broken wire, I was charged another $200. They stated that it had nothing to do with sensor, just the wiring, and therefore was not covered by the recall. Just waiting to see when it will happen again.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Mar 122014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact also stated that the shifting had to be tampered in order to restart the vehicle after multiple attempts. In addition, the automatic door on the driver side would not close properly, which caused her to drive the vehicle with the door completely open. The problem recurred multiple times. Also, the driver side air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic for a diagnosis and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the approximate failure mileage was 104,000.

- Norridge, IL, USA

Jul 022014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Chrysler performed recall for front crash sensors on November 2011 air bag light on 7/3/2014. Same issue even after recall.

- Norridge , IL, USA

Jun 302014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was going through a drive-thru when my knee accidentally bumped the key in the ignition and the vehicle cut off. I turned it back on and bumped it again to test it, and it happened again. I tried it while the vehicle was in park as well as in drive and reverse and it happened each time. I recently read about the GM / Dodge /Chrysler ignition and airbag issues, but my vehicle year is not being investigated or recalled. I demand that the investigation and recalls are expanded to include models going back to at least 2005, including any vehicles with this engineering or part defect.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 072014

Air bags light came on.

- Fort Morgan, Co, CO, USA

Apr 142014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On April 18, 2014, consumer made an appointment at lithia Dodge in kennewick Washington with the sole purpose to check to see if the air bag warning light on their 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan being on constantly was covered under the NHTSA recall 10V008000 "front airbag crash sensor failure". when consumer arrived for the appointment on April 21, 2014, the dealership indicated without looking at the vehicle or checking the VIN that the van may or may not be covered under the recall. They just didn't know. They could do a diagnostic on the vehicle, though: If the vehicle was covered under recall, the visit would be free. If the vehicle wasn't under recall, they would charge a $125 "diagnostic fee" to tell the consumer that it wasn't under recall. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired.

- West Richland, WA, USA

Feb 012012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My airbag warning light came on about 2 years ago. I have had my van in several times for service and no one has paid attention to the warning light. When I had my van in this last weekend due to faulty headlights and had the warning light tested. I was told that the airbag system is not functional. So, I have no working airbags in my van currently.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Nov 202013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, he lost control of the vehicle in an attempt to avoid a road animal. The contact crashed forcefully into the side of a ditch, went airborne and then crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy with the impact. The contact sustained injuries to the head, wrist and hand. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a collision center. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 146,500.

- Marion, OH, USA

Nov 182012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated on an intermittent basis. In addition, the horn became inoperable sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where they advised her that the clock spring failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised her that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 10V008000 (air bags:frontal:sensor/control module). The failure and current mileages were approximately 64,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 232012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The airbag dash lights came on and have not shut off. After researching I found that there is a recall for this problem only when I call I'm told the service for this has already been done. I explained that it had not, that I had never taken it in for this before. He stated it had been done in 2007, yet this recall wasn't in effect until June of 2010. I called him out on that and all he could say was that I don't qualify. According to NHTSA campaign id number : 10V008000 my car is included in this recall. What can I do?

- Springville, UT, USA

Jun 212012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Apparently a faulty airbag sensor light means that possibly airbags may not deploy in a collision or accident. I have contacted the dealer from where I purchased the vehicle and also check for recalls via the internet and according to the VIN #, it is not listed, but over 300,000 2005 Grand Caravan have. Why not mine?

- Maryland, NY, USA

Feb 142012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Air bag sensor light stays on now and the horn does not work when pressed, but will work when the panic button is pressed.

- Kirkwood, PA, USA

Dec 232011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Dash board lights and interior lights went out came on again for five minutes and went back out.

- Washington, DC, USA