1.7

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Aug 072015

Grand Caravan

While driving on busy urban highways with limited or no shoulder, the vehicle started making clunking noises, originating from the left side, when driving over bumps, potholes and other road irregularities. Not wanting to pull over in an area with limited shoulder lanes, I continued driving, but the noise became progressively worse over a period of 50 miles or so, to the point that I was actively seeking a safe place to pull over and check the vehicle. Before I had a (safe) opportunity to do so, a much larger clunk was heard, and the vehicle instantly experienced greatly impaired directional control. I immediately slowed, and was able to bring the vehicle to a controlled stop on the shoulder. Visual inspection immediately showed that the front driver side wheel had excessive negative camber. The strut shaft was also no longer mated to the steering bearing at the top of the strut tower, and was resting against the side of the strut tower. The top surface of the strut shaft had an irregular, rough feel to it, suggestive of brittle failure. After limping the vehicle down the nearest off-ramp (approximately 1/2 mile) at low speed (10 mph) I parked he vehicle, and had it towed to a local pep boys, which replaced both front strut assemblies.

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

Aug 262012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I purchased this car used in August, after reading reviews I discovered the rack and pinion was an issue on this van, so I asked the previous owner whether they had any issues and they replied they had just replaced the rack and pinion due too a severe power steering fluid leak. After hearing this I figured that meant problem solved. Unfortunately its now not even a month and a half later and am noticing a severe powersteering leak, my mechanic is telling me the rack and pinion has failed once again and needs replacement. Usually this part last the lifetime of any other vehicle. I am concerned and very displeased about this issue as it can be very dangerous for my family and I as well as other motorist on the road. I also suspect I am not the only one experiencing this repeatedly. Is there a recall im unaware of, what can I do" I was quoted between $700-800 for this job by three mechanics. Is this something Dodge may be liable for"

- Chulavista, CA, USA