2008 Dodge Grand Caravan accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 232014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the horn and windshield wipers along with fluid activated independently. The contact had to disconnect the terminal battery to shut off the windshield wipers and horn. The dealer was not able to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Coram , NY, USA

Mar 172014

Grand Caravan

I was picking up my daughter and opened the door and the horn started blowing, the wipers were going, and the window washer fluid was spraying out. It finally stopped and was fine but has happened multiple times since one time even when I was driving down the rd and now I've had to disconnect the battery but now I can't connect it again because it won't stop going crazy like that.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Jun 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While my vehicle was parked at a campground, I click my key fob to unlock the door and the rear windshield wiper started going off. Tried to start the vehicle and it would not start, no lights nothing completely dead. The wiper eventually stopped. A few hours later, still parked with no keys in it, the windshield wiper fluid and wipers started after I clicked the unlock button on the key fob again. The fluid kept shooting until it ran out of fluid. Then a few hours later with again no keys in it or key fob use the horn began blaring. Then the lights and wipers went off as well. Finally I was able to get the battery disconnected and it stopped. I reconnected the battery two hours later only to roll up my windows and the horn immediately started going off. I had it towed to the dealership down the street and I am now waiting on the results. I'm glad my family was not with and/ or I was driving.

- North Mankato, MN, USA

Aug 042012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Purchased this vehicle 6/30/2012 1st incident 8/2012 driving down highway at 65 mph at night in wooded area so it was pitch black and headlights shut off, wipers running and spraying fluid, horn started blaring, outside lights went crazy, gauges went nuts, and power steering went out. Pulled over when we were able (two lane road w/no shoulders) and after a few minutes went back to normal and ran just fine. The second time it happened was in 10/2012 basically same thing was returning from son's football game on a Friday night at midnight and headlights went out, wipers going crazy, and horn blaring, lights going off. Didn't do it again for awhile then since 3/2013 about every 2 to 3 weeks we have this same issue, van can be sitting in drive and still does it. I have had my children in the car on numerous occasions when this has happened and it scares us all to death. We have almost been hit from behind on more than one of these occasions when power steering went out while making a turn, (it slowed the vehicle down to manually turn it) which I could barely do, and almost received a ticket for faulty equipment due to the brake and reverse lights going off on their own (cop gave me a warning this time) after looking up the issue and talking to a mechanic it is a faulty tipm (totally integrated power module), which by the way has been on "backorder" for more than 18 months cause I've been calling on it since 10/2012. I have researched and apparently this is an ongoing issue with this vehicle, there are over 200 of the 420 complaints on this site about this very issue and thousands more online, yet there has not even been an investigation? I guess the NHTSA is not as concerned about safety as they claim to be! there needs to be a recall done for this model and the years affected for the faulty part that's going to end up with someone seriously injured or dead!

- Fruitvale, TX, USA

Nov 022013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The first time it happened was about November 2 and then again on November 23. One the first occurrence I went to open my door and the horn and wipers and wiper fluid started going off. I jump in my ride with the keys in my hand and the van locked me in I was unable to get out and fluid was going all over my garage. Finally the van let me out and we had to pull the battery to get it to stop. It had to sit all day before it would not do those things. Then yesterday I went to walmart and heard an announcement that a vehicle was going crazy in the parking lot. Of course it was mine, I once again had to pull the battery to get it to stop. After a few hours we just pulled all the fuses so that we could get it home. Also for many years now the traction control and brake lights come on in the winter and it starts very funny in the winter. I have read online that this is happening to many many people and it is happening as it is going down the road. I am at this point afraid to drive my van so I am not sure what to do I owe money on this thing. I have taken it to the dealer many times and there are no codes coming up so they said it would probably be like $1000 just for them to figure out what is wrong. There is pages upon pages of people complaining about this, why has Dodge not done a recall are they waiting for someone to get hurt?

- Roscommon, MI, USA

Oct 252013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway and my vehicle headlights turned off as well as the engine. The windshield wipers turned on high even though they were in the off position. The car horn was engaged and I had no control over the function of the systems. I was able to start the car but the light would not come on etc. Even with the key removed and the exiting the wipers, horn, hazard lights still were engaged. The car started to spray windshield wiper fluid as well. The locks would unlock and lock as well. Eventually approximately 10 minutes it stopped. I was able to stared the car and moved it to a safe location. I took video of the incident. I am highly concerned as this seems to be a recurring problem based on my research and there definitely could have be a fatality last night!

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Sep 192013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our van was parked outside our house (after being driven 6 miles & sitting for 10 minutes) & I started hearing the horn trying to make a honking sound, went outside & noticed the lights flickering, the wipers going at top speed w/washer fluid spraying, & the horn was trying to honk. I tried pushing the unlock button on my key fob & nothing happened. I was able to unlock the door with the key but entering & opening all the doors did nothing. I tried starting the van & it wouldn't stay on. The horn eventually went on at full force & a solid sound. We had to disconnect the battery for it to stop.

- Monee, IL, USA

Aug 242013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

When my wife was driving on the highway at 70 mph, with my child. The car died. Wife rolled to side of the road and attempted to start it again. The car started and promptly died again but wipers were going at full speed along with the windshield washer fluid pumping out, and the horns and lights turning on and off, she removed the key and it continued. She had already called me and by the time I got there (approx 15 min) it had shut itself off. I tried to restart it with the same problems as mentioned before. I opened the hood and there was a lot of noise coming from the relay box ( tipm ), I unhooked the battery, and the problem "self resolved" fired up car and drove it the 15 miles home. After looking up problem on line, have found that this is a ongoing issue and that the repair part is back ordered nationally, tells me that this is an ongoing issue, Chrysler does know about but has not done anything about it. This is a major safety issue.

- Fulton, MO, USA

Jan 142013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The first incident occurred while care was sitting in the driveway, no key in it. Horn started going wipers and wiper fluid started going full speed, and lights started flashing, door locks engaged and could not be stopped by key fob. This continued for about 10 minutes. I had to pull the fuses and disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Took the car to dealership twice who stated there is nothing wrong with the van. The van continues to do this intermittently. Most recent incident driving down the highway 60 mph with children in the car when all the previous symptoms started to occur and gauges would drop to zero and then back up over and over again. All lights went out at this time and transmission began malfunctioning. I was barely able to pull the car off to the side of the road where it continued to do this for 15 minutes. The third time I took it in they reported it was my tipm and want over $1100 to replace it. I called Dodge customer service and explained the issue hoping they would fix it without cost to me or offer some solution. Their rep was very rude and told me to try what the dealership suggested. I expressed how it is a design/manufacturing flaw and got the reply, "well MA'am, there is no recall on this so there is nothing we can do". I informed him I would never buy another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle and received the reply "ok, have a good day". he then hung up on me. This is a serious safety issue and after reading many forums have realized I am not the only one experiencing this issue...Dodge needs to be held accountable!

- Waianae, HI, USA

Mar 102013

Grand Caravan

At random times the horn, flashers, and wipers will turn on.this has happened while driving the vehicle and has happened when the vehicle was turned off, without anyone inside the van. Disconnecting the battery has been the way to stop the problem. Dealer could not find anything wrong and guessed that it was the tipm. This has occurred on numerous occasions and does seam to be a safety issue when the vehicle is in operation. Obviously from the number of complaints that I have seen, NHTSA should investigate and Chrysler needs to do a recall.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Nov 152012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving home at 10:30 at night on Thursday the 15th of November 2012 driving 65 mph on state highway 64 in pawnee county Oklahoma and the windshield wipers went on by themselves and then the head lights went off by themselves. I took the vehicle to the Dodge dealer and they recommended that I replace a clock spring but weren't even sure if that would fix the headlight issue. Not to mention charging me $300 for the part when I have the extended electronics warranty on the vehicle. I feel that this is a very major safety issue and Dodge needs to look into it further and correct the issue at no charge to the owners, this is obviously a manufacturer defect. There is no reason this vehicle should have this issue. It is a liability to Dodge if not corrected. Please look into this issue as it could end up costing someone their life. I would like to make sure that this gets looked into. Please send me a supervisors number or email so I make sure this gets attention. If I do not hear something back within 48 hours, I will contact the secretary of transportation myself, a Mr. Ray lahood through senator coburn. I am really pissed off about the situation. You drive down a road with your family in the dark of night and unexpectedly your headlights go out and you risk your families life. Dodge didn't act like it was a big deal, but it could end up being a major liability for them if they do not remedy the situation.

- Cleveland, OK, USA

Oct 032012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Upon entering vehicle pressing keyfob to unlock any door or hatch the horn would start to sound, the windshield wipers (front and rear) would start to go on its on including windshield wiper fluid as well, lights would start to flash as well. I would have to open up the hood and hit the fuse box located next to the battery on the drivers side firewall just to get it to stop. I have taken the vehicle to the dealership on several ocassions to no avail because they cannot duplicate the problem and now I am out a diagnostic fee of $94 X2 and the cost of a rental car both times for my wife and three children because my 100% full warranty does not cover the cost of the rental because the problem could not be duplicated. After searching and reading about this problem that my wife and I are having with this cara van I think something should be done before someone is seriously hurt or killed by the Caravan doing something that it was not asked to do!!!!

- North Weymouth, MA, USA

Aug 182012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that she attempted to unlock the vehicle with a new key fob however, the vehicle would not unlock. After the contact was able to enter the vehicle, the vehicle could not be started. The contact had to tap the fuse box to turn on the vehicle. The windshield wipers then engaged independently with wiper fluid gushing out. The failure recurred frequently as the horn sounded independently as well. The contact stopped and turned off vehicle but the failures persisted. The contact had to tap on the fuse box to have the windshield wipers and horn stop. The fuse box was located under the hood on the driver's side near the battery. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, no assistance was provided. The current and failure mileage was 93,496.

- Johnson City, NY, USA

May 272012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Upon start of vehicle, wipers turned on(switch pos off), washer fluid sprayed(button not pressed), horn sounded (not pressed), could not get it to stop. Started vehicle, continued to do all three, vehicle placed in drive, would not shift out of 1st gear. Shut vehicle off, started again, same things. In days prior to this incident, the vehicle would stall unexpectedly, fortunately while approaching stop sign, or stop light and not on highway, resulted in loss of power steering, and all engine/speed indication. Dodge dealership in valdosta duplicated problems, replaced $500 electrical box. Been two days since repair, no repeats yet.

- Hahira, GA, USA